#17 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:14 AM

Yeah, keep us tabed Aureliano...

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#18 Aureliano

Aureliano

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:21 AM

Gameplay (more) :

In this first installment, or should I say introduction, our midget friend will be opposed to a limited kind of opponents.

The story begins very simply : Jeremy, an infantry soldier in the middle of a war he doesn't even understand, decides to save his hide by fleeing as far from the battlefield as he can. Little does he know, it'll be a very long trip...

As far as ennemies go, There will be several types of soldiers, armed with several different types of weapons (I have six in mind, there will be more if need be). The places the player will visit range from torn apart no man's land to deep forests and shattered cities, ancient subtarennaean ruins (optional) and two different types of soldier's settlements.

Jeremy will start the game armed with a very primitive rifle, which he will soon trade for an automatic pistol. Along the road he'll find several weapons which vary in rate of fire and maiming power. I plan to make 3 of them, not counting the first rifle and the pistol. Maybe four if need be.

While being ridiculously short, Jeremy has vastly superior physical abilities than his comrades and ennemies. He runs faster and jumps higher, and can dodge bullets with surprising ease (well, if the player can jump inbetween them, that is...).

That's it for now.
I don't know but I've been told
Deirdre's got a Network Node
Likes to press the on/off switch
Dig that crazy Gaian witch !

- Spartan troup song -

#19 Aureliano

Aureliano

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:22 AM

Posted Image

- Spartan troup song -

#20 Aureliano

Aureliano

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:11 PM

DOWNLOAD THIS NOW YOU WORTHLESS BEING

I'm a master of motion, as well as an attention *mary magdalene*.

EDIT : Oh yeah, forgot. Left and right to move, space bar to jump. Enjoy.
EDIT 2 : Making this little jumpy sound was more trouble than I thought, but it was stimulating enough. My actual problem is the fact that his ears, pants and bonnet get stuck on the edges of the block. If anyone has a clue on a way to avoid that, please do tell (I already tried to enlarge the borders of the sprite, but since it's background is transparent it doesn't change a thing).

- Spartan troup song -

#21 Solarjetman

Solarjetman

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:01 PM

Progress!  I must say Cave Story is an inspiration. I have a project in the works as well all thanks to Pixel's fine example. I read a review that said it took him 5 years to perfect. Gamemaker certainly helped you recreate the feel of the jumping, no idea how to stop the sticking. Can you round off the edges?

If you want a fine example of a similar game check out seilklus at

http://www.autofish..../games/seiklus/

Not as deep but smart none the less. (appologies if you already came across it)

#22 Aureliano

Aureliano

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:41 PM

Actually, I don't know if I'll stick to gamemaker for very long. I have a number of reason to turn toward a system with less simplification but more control.

Firstly, I think I'd like to work on 640x480 for a later project, and that means those kind of software is out of question.
Secondly, I'd want the game to be playable in fullscreen, and I don't know if this utility has a way to do so.
And last but not least, I enjoy making things with as little interface as possible (like wordpad for webpages). I guess I just like to know exactly what I'm doing. Having to guess what sort of shortcut the program is using is an unecessary headache, at least when I don't have a clear idea on how the whole mess works. I'd rather have simplified features than having to let my program do everything on it's own.

Is there an alternative to C++ for creating those kind of games, that let me do things on my own for the most part ?

- Spartan troup song -

#23 Aureliano

Aureliano

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:23 PM

Gameplay - Dying :

In this game (maybe not the introduction), dying will be less of a big deal than in others games. Jeremy is a very resistant little fella, and can count on some special allies that will drive him away from certains situations. Of course, a set number of "lives" are allowed to the player, but these lives (their number will depend on a number of factors) will be implemented in the story so that dying in certain places at certain times will alter the storyline and upcoming events. Note that no one said that never dying gives you the best ending. Who knows if at some point you aren't required to die, so that events will unravel in a better way ?

Alternatively, some ennemies will use attacks that will be able to completely erase you from existence. Not only will that kill you no matter what number of lives you have, but also sometimes will delete your saved game (if I can find a way to do that, of course - consider yourself lucky if I don't).

Overall, death will be treated very differently from other games : this to give to the player the best experience possible.

- Spartan troup song -

#24 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 04:02 PM

Sounds interesting, although if you have a way to delete saves its likely that people will just back up all of there save files before playing :)
Me>You

#25 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 04:11 PM

Yeah sounds very interesting.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#26 Aureliano

Aureliano

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:30 PM

Magic, on May 13 2005, 04:02 PM, said:

Sounds interesting, although if you have a way to delete saves its likely that people will just back up all of there save files before playing :)
It was a long shot. It would be way too frustrating for the occasional player, anyway - I don't think I'll implement that, or maybe do a separate "ironman" type challenge.

- Spartan troup song -

#27 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:40 PM

Yeh, that sounds better :)
Me>You

#28 Aureliano

Aureliano

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 07:29 PM

I've decided to do pencil concept art and programming until someone gets wise and understand that I deserve a full time slave to do my much needed tiles and sprites. In the meantime, I'll do everything with stick figures.

- Spartan troup song -

#29 Aureliano

Aureliano

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 08:48 PM

For the few of you interested in the actual story behind all this, I'd recommend to check out this site. It was created five minutes ago however, but should fill up in no time since it will the place where I'll spend most of my free time. Here you will be able to read the chapters of the story as I remaster them, and see embarassing details about my childhood.

Enjoy.

- Spartan troup song -

#30 Iron_Scarecrow

Iron_Scarecrow

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 10:11 PM

I love it all, only cause the little guy is named after me. ;)

And that drawing is excelent. :)  Is he a pirate?