45 replies to this topic

#1 Aureliano

Aureliano

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 07:48 PM

Ok, having been all excited by Doukutsu Monogatori, and by the prospect of being able to do my own games, I decided to give it a shot. Since I always enjoy original work better than overused default images, and that I don't have any visual artist that will obey my every whims and swings, I decided to give it a shot myself.

I bring to you...

Posted Image

...pixel art Jeremy ! Doukutsu style ! Mwahahahaha !

...Dang, it's so lame. Oh well, it's a first shot.

I will continually post what visual crap I come up every now and then so that you all can point and laugh at me. Enjoy !
I don't know but I've been told
Deirdre's got a Network Node
Likes to press the on/off switch
Dig that crazy Gaian witch !

- Spartan troup song -

#2 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 07:59 PM

Dont be too hard on yourself, thats great for a first try!

Well Done!!!  :)
Me>You

#3 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 08:03 PM

Yeah exactly keep at it, just keep practicing, good job. :)

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#4 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2784 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 08:13 PM

I actually love the little fella :)

He looks awesome!

Yo!

#5 Aureliano

Aureliano

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 08:40 PM

Since I'm obviously cornered by admirators and fans, and since those things are not that hard to do, I decided to make a second one to try out a different approach.

Posted Image

Behold Florianne !

You guessed it, this time no dark edges. I'm still partial on which gives the best effect...any clue ?

PS : Thanks for the support everyone. I'll try to get somewhat better.

- Spartan troup song -

#6 NrmMyth

NrmMyth

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 08:41 PM

Posted Image :)

He looks just like my friend from school!
;)

#7 Aureliano

Aureliano

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 08:57 PM

Was browsing my disk for some ancient doodles, and found nothing. I had to load an image from a prehistoric devart account. The pic is probably more than 3 years old (lame excuse for incoming lameness).

Anyway, here's Jere in his full glory.

Posted Image

PS : yes, he's a midget.

- Spartan troup song -

#8 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:03 PM

Incredible picture if you ask me. You have talent kid.  :)
"I am on a hot streak... Literally"

#9 Aureliano

Aureliano

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:25 PM

Found two good looking tutorials that I post here in case anyone else needs them. Consume them without moderation.

http://www.natomic.c...ted/marks/mpat/

http://www.pixelfreak.com/tutorial/

- Spartan troup song -

#10 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:48 PM

Excellent job on all pieces  :)
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#11 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 10:07 PM

The same comes from me.

As for the black lines, it really depend on the background. In a very light background it would be better to use a black outline.

Yo!

#12 Aureliano

Aureliano

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 10:17 PM

It seems so.

God, anything under 32x32 is fine, but when it gets to bigger stuff the awfulness just shows too much. Do you give lessons, Mr. Henrik ? What little progresses I can make on my own will not make the backgrounds or bosses done so I have to find a way to sharpen up my learning curve.

- Spartan troup song -

#13 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 10:22 PM

I have a nice tip for you:

Make the boss, or thing in a small pixel frame first. Then take a print screen image of the zoomed in drawing, and rework it.

I'll post an example soon :)

Yo!

#14 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 11:08 PM

Sorry for double posting, but wanted to bump the topic in order to show what I meant.

Granted, the new eyes I made suck, but they were just implented to prove how it can be done. You take an small pixel, then you rework it in a bigger format. The small pixels are GREAT for guidelines.

I hope you understand what I mean. :)

Attached Files

Yo!

#15 Aureliano

Aureliano

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 11:17 PM

I'll also use this thread to talk about my game in more extensive details. This will be an additional incentive to keep a regular pace of work.

Graphics :

I really don't plan to overdo on graphics, not on my first try at least. Let's face it, I'm not the sharpest tool in the box, and I won't get anything nearly decent done (let's say Snes quality) before maybe early 2006, or so it seems. I will try to keep the sprites simple but efficient, just enough so that it won't be too repulsing.

Of course that won't be much of a problem if I eventually find someone to do it for me, but this is unlikely for the moment. Firstly because I am still a wanabee, and no self-respecting artist would waste it's undoubtely valuable time on someone who has not yet proved it's dedication to it's cause. Secondly, because despite my obvious lack of graphical capacities, I still want to do it myself if I can. I'm the kind of person who have to be in control of everything. And thirdly because, from my personnal experience, "artists" are the laziest persons on earth and you can consider yourself lucky if you get even half a tile per month !

Sound :

This is much more of a problem than graphics, since this is a domain in which I have absolutely no experience, and that is crucial to the game overall. Saddly enough, I will have to snatch some midis here and there, whether I like it or not. I simply cannot do everything on my own.

Gameplay :

Ah, the core of it all, eh ? Well, the game will be an arcade 2D game, a la everything from Mario to Ghouls'n Ghosts, Sonic, Megaman...you name it. I don't want to try anything too complicated on my first try (although it will not be void of personal touches - but for that you'll have to wait and see), and so I have decided to make it a tribute to all those games that I played and loved. No type of game manages to please me like arcade games do, and I want to share this feeling.

So, what will be the features of this game ? Well, nothing too fancy. Multiple weapons balanced for each situation, charge shot, maybe some equipment that allow easier exploring.

The first game will be rather short (no more than an hour or two of gameplay, at most). The goal here is to try and duplicate as faithfully as possible what I've seen and loved, adding a personnal plot and characters dear to my heart. If it goes well, I'll get into more complicated things.

*yawns* that's it for tonight. More later.

- Spartan troup song -