28 replies to this topic

#1 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 03:07 PM

Well it's time to give your praise and such to your favourite guitarist of all time, who do you think are some of the greats, and how come you feel that way. I'll throw my vote off first off to Joe Satchriani, the man is incredible when it comes to just jamming on his guitar, he's got like I don't know how many albums over 8 I'm pretty sure, but have watched some of his dvd's and his style is just so unique sounding, it's great, definitely one of the best. I'd also give props to Brian May from Queen, he definitely ranks up there, another good guitarist who doesn't get a lot of props for his work, but I think he deserves it.

So let's see what other choices from others...

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#2 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 03:29 PM

Brian Molko (well he does play guitar) because he's really great in general. He's not bad either.

#3 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:22 PM

Ahh okay I was wondering about that you mentioned him in the fav singer topic and was like whoa the dude can sing and play guitar not bad being versatile.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#4 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2953 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:31 PM

He's not a great guitarist though - definitely not worthy of this thread IMO.
I'd like to mention John Fruiscante (whose name I may have misspelt), Flea if we're counting bassists, Hendrix and Page - the obvious choices but all great.

If you do want a great multiinstrumentalist, I'd go for Matt Bellamy - not only has he got an amazing voice but he plays guitar, paino/keyboards and various other things (like the megaphone!) brilliantly.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#5 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 03:10 PM

I have to name two that I've admired nearly all of my life:
Eric Clapton and Mark Knopfler

Both are tough pros and I have always loved their guitar riffs.
...70 years... LOL

#6 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 05:43 PM

I'll say Joe Satriani, but I don't like his music too much, because he's more like a show of, you know like "oooh look what I can do", he's not that melodic, but he really can play...

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#7 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 08:29 PM

Carlos Santana's the same. Apart from Smooth which is possibly the best piece of pop music since ... erm ... Pet Sounds? Maybe that's a bit generous - it's a fine tune though.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#8 OvErLoRd

OvErLoRd

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 08:42 PM

For me it's Jimmy Page. The man is great guitarist, and his songs are legendary.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

- from ''Lord of the Rings'' by J.R.R.Tolkien

#9 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 12:49 PM

I knew that Joe Satriani sounded familiar, but didn't bother to dig my memory. Recently I just realized who he is and I have to admit he has incredible technique and is extremely professional. Still I don't like his music and thus he's not my favourite.

IMO Santana and Page are overrated. Good, but overrated.
...70 years... LOL

#10 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 01:05 PM

I agreeI think Santana is good and same with Page but agree with ya overrated for sure. :)

#11 Dvoe

Dvoe

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:12 PM

Michael Romero (Symphony X)
Steve Vai
John Petrucci (Dream Theater)
Jeff Loomis (Nevermore)
Marty Friedman (Megadeth)
Yngwie Malmsteen
Michael Angelo
Joe Satriani <---best of the best :angel:

to name a few..  ;)

#12 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:52 PM

Good ol Satriani, how many cd's does the dude have honestly, mind boggling how he can keep coming up with new material, just maddness watching him played, hypnotizing pretty much, can't take your eyes off the screen. :angel:

#13 Dvoe

Dvoe

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 09:40 PM

I think Satch has recorded about 12 studio albums. I recommend Crystal Planet for those that want to check him out.

#14 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 05:55 AM

Whoa just saw John Petrucci from Dream Theatre and man that's guy insane his solos, I definitely am impressed with his work, just amazing. :angel:

#15 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 01:16 PM

I think Randy Rhoades deserves a place on this list. Too bad he's dead. :angel:
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.