102 replies to this topic

#16 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 03:46 AM

Well think Solder of Fortune is worst, especially 2 with some of the things you can do with your enemies, it really is a bit much, and yeah the team who did Swat definitely did a good job with some of the missions, they really made it seem real, hopefully can play 4 at some point.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#17 Sinke

Sinke

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:36 AM

Well, SOF went on my nerves.
One can always get mocked for being polite.

#18 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:56 AM

Think it was moreso the extent of the damage you could do that was a bit extreme I thought, postal 2 was very similar, so I heard haven't played postal 2.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#19 Sinke

Sinke

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:48 PM

Honestly saying, games as such are giving a bad name to this industy. SOF seems like it was made for spoiled children who think they would be rambos in real war with tons of medals earned for each head shot. Each time a juvenille maniac goes on killing spree in school, the society claims it was because of computer games. It really went over the edge. I am not one of those puritan lesson givers, but really, when you have violence on that level, and it is considered landmark of a game ( positive one )- sometimes kids can't handle it.

On the other hand, games like swat are not of the same kind. The violence there is nothing but practical simulation of real action, which only takes advantage of hunting instict we all have in our genes.

#20 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:04 PM

I don't necessarily think swat does all that, it is a simulation but still there are elements that are not represented because of the limitations of the game. Still the fact that the media always seems to bring to light the whole bad game caused a certain event to occur is getting annoying, in most cases it's just passing the blame along, happened throughout history, with comics, rock music, movies and now games.

#21 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:14 PM

DD, don't forget theatre, poems, paintings, etc...
...70 years... LOL

#22 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:20 PM

Very true that was moreso though those elements were a lot further in the past, mostly was bringing up examples of the last 50 years.

#23 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:24 PM

Yeah, but that's the most common mistake people do. They think that it's somehow new invention to blame on totally irrelevant things about moral corruption etc... That being my point.
...70 years... LOL

#24 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:26 PM

Yeah I see what ya mean, that's essentially what I was saying in my earlier post that is a common theme being done more and more.

#25 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:30 PM

Umm... Yeah, actually I caused now couple of totally unnecessary posts. Kind of. Well, back to topic, is Swat 3 actually that realistic as I've heard? Some say it's even annoying, because your men get shot so easily, if everything goes wrong. I'm actually very interested of this game, but for some reason have never ended up buying it... *shames*
...70 years... LOL

#26 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:34 PM

Well there are situations where yeah ended up in an ambush myself and my team walked right into it getting mowed down but generally the AI is pretty good. They will fire on enemies if they see them, handcuff them too, and so on, just be aware so of the missions start to have similar ideas but overall is a nice game to try imo. :(

#27 Sinke

Sinke

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 01:22 AM

I'd dare to say AI in Swat serial is one of the best. Sure, your team gets into an ambush, but that could be interpreted as positive remark about opponent's AI. It is quite problematic to lead 4 team-mates in closed areas, but in Swat serial, the biggest problems are if they get crazy stacking up in front of the door. I played it for months, and that happened two times. Game is really great, I wonder why they didn't sequel it before.

#28 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 03:49 AM

Yeah the stacked issue is problematic, not so much in the open areas, but the enemy AI is pretty good, especially on the harder one's where it's almost impossible to arrest a bad guy.

#29 Sinke

Sinke

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:56 AM

However, I must say I greatly appreciate this new "sub-genre" of "realistic fps" where one or two hits can kill your character. I mean, it is much more tensed atmosphere, way above the feeling of searching medipack you pass through in order to recieve +50% health ( like, you pick it up :D   ).   Another great thing in swat are random enemy locations, you never know what are you getting in. Huge rooms could be empty, small hallways could have tons of crime commiters- but next time you play the level they are placed vice versa or somewhere else.

I miss a story in Swat 4, altough the levels and mission briefings are very detailed and realistic. You also need to take care of the equipment you carry and ammunition type. You won't survive the armored suspects if you fight them with zappers. And you will recieve a mission wash if you are too lethal to surrendered crucks. In some games it really doesn't matter, but swat is swat.

Sierra is my dearest game-making company. Their worst games are above average quality.

While writting this paragraph, I recieved an urge to play swat 4. I am leaving now....   :(  :ok:  :max:  :D

#30 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:10 AM

I longed it for years. I've never been much of Quake etc genre fan. MoH, CoD, nice, but stupid. OFP, Rainbow Six, Delta Force etc are much more my like. What I'd love to see, is more realistic movement, such as in OFP, though even it had a lot to improve. And, as I've said it before, some unorthodox sides would be nice, such as Axis in WW2 etc.
...70 years... LOL

Reply to this topic