41 replies to this topic

#1 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 11:57 PM

I'm curious. And please state wether it's like, turn-based battle system, that wierd bar kind of battle system(like chrono trigger and final fantasy games until like 10) or action type(like Neverwinter nights, Knights of the old republic).

My favorite RPG, Neverwinter nights. Best. Game. Ever.

#2 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 07:56 AM

ADOM, obviously.:) If roguelikes count as proper RPGs, that is.

Otherwise I'll go for Mordor, which has a sort of primitive battle system: you press "f" to fight a monster, "d" to defend yourself without actually hitting the monster and "j" to allow a peaceful monster to join you. The battles are supposedly "real time" according to the help file, but it's hardly very realistic. Monsters never follow you out of a room or corridor, they always stay rooted to the spot. Still, it's a fun game.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#3 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:49 AM

Fallout 2. Torment comes close though.

#4 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:09 AM

Fallout 2, without any doubts. Hej Mdag, it's been a long time!
...70 years... LOL

#5 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:27 AM

View PostA. J. Raffles, on Jul 23 2006, 07:56 AM, said:

ADOM, obviously.:) If roguelikes count as proper RPGs, that is.

Otherwise I'll go for Mordor, which has a sort of primitive battle system: you press "f" to fight a monster, "d" to defend yourself without actually hitting the monster and "j" to allow a peaceful monster to join you. The battles are supposedly "real time" according to the help file, but it's hardly very realistic. Monsters never follow you out of a room or corridor, they always stay rooted to the spot. Still, it's a fun game.
Yeah, I think roguelikes are RPGs, that is IF they have RPG elements like experience and healthpoints and stats to increase. And what's Mordor? Never heard of it(except in the Lord of the rings books, but that doesn't count). Is it an old game?

#6 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:38 AM

View PostJuni Ori, on Jul 23 2006, 12:09 PM, said:

Fallout 2, without any doubts. Hej Mdag, it's been a long time!
Yeah  :) I've been working on a robotics project for ABB. Now I'm free until september so I'm poking in every now and again to see what's up. Also working on my own little RPG (roguelike), but I'm still on the engine part.

#7 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:07 AM

View PostPotatoe, on Jul 23 2006, 10:27 AM, said:

Yeah, I think roguelikes are RPGs, that is IF they have RPG elements like experience and healthpoints and stats to increase. And what's Mordor? Never heard of it(except in the Lord of the rings books, but that doesn't count). Is it an old game?
Reasonably old. 1995, I think. It has nothing to do with Tolkien, though. You basically explore a dungeon, killing monsters and collecting stuff. It isn't a very complex game, but it's fun. If you're interested, have a look at Braindead's site: www.mordor.uni.cc. At the moment we're working on a remake/sequel.:)

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#8 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:36 PM

My favorite RPG Ultima: The Black Gate, also known as the seventh game in the series.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#9 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 07:12 PM

Hmm for me probably has to be Final Fantasy 6 one of the best stories ever played in an rpg, 14 playable characters so much to see and do, one of the truly best of the series. :)

Honorable Mentions gotta go to Chrono Trigger and Earthbound.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#10 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:05 PM

View PostDeathDude, on Jul 23 2006, 07:12 PM, said:

Honorable Mentions gotta go to Chrono Trigger and Earthbound.
Chrono trigger is awsome. But it's really hard at some points. Some parts make you want to swear and curse. D:

A. J. Raffles said:

Reasonably old. 1995, I think. It has nothing to do with Tolkien, though. You basically explore a dungeon, killing monsters and collecting stuff. It isn't a very complex game, but it's fun. If you're interested, have a look at Braindead's site: www.mordor.uni.cc. At the moment we're working on a remake/sequel.

I might check that out later. I'm now hooked on Neverwinter nights(+expansions). It has this cool roguelike module. http://nwvault.ign.c...l...ail&id=5005

there's the link if anyone is interested.

#11 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:28 PM

Honestly I had no trouble with Chrono trigger, was a nice challenge throughout the game but can't think of any points where I seriously was wondering how to beat a boss or get past an area, except trying to get the 2nd or 3rd ending when you have to face Lavos with just Chrono and Marle, that was tough.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#12 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:39 PM

View PostDeathDude, on Jul 24 2006, 07:28 PM, said:

Honestly I had no trouble with Chrono trigger, was a nice challenge throughout the game but can't think of any points where I seriously was wondering how to beat a boss or get past an area, except trying to get the 2nd or 3rd ending when you have to face Lavos with just Chrono and Marle, that was tough.
I never got that far. I had the rom on another computer, now it's lost forever.

#13 Sabreman

Sabreman

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 10:30 PM

Dungeon Master. Been playing it since it debuted on the Atari ST and I'm still every bit as hooked on it - especially thanks to the remakes and fan-made dungeons about now. There are very few games that have given me that sense of pure immersion in the world. I never get tired of it.

#14 ultrabot90

ultrabot90

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:27 PM

Without doubt or hesitation!
1. Megaman Battle Network (2/3B/5)
2. Megaman Zero 2
3. GOLDEN SUN!!
-regards,
ultrabot90
IPB Image
Et tu, Deathdude? Iron Maiden roxor teh xoxor.

#15 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 04:39 PM

Have to also give props to Seiken Densetsu 3, for it's multiple paths, characters and endings have to beat it least 3 times to see all the paths and such. And Bahamut Lagoon, also very unique sort of rpg. :)

Reply to this topic