79 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2784 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:26 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review + download

#2 a1s

a1s

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:42 PM

yet another graphical RL :)
<sigh> I guess I better start living in the XXI century... ;)
Those of you being liberal-art majors � don�t worry, advanced mathematics were largely omitted from this text in concern for your mental health.

QUOTE (Mighty Midget)
if BP has potied on Twilight Zone episode, I will strangle him

secret adept of the PICKALLONWEASEL order

#3 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:50 PM

i think the graphics serve this one well... i dont think it would have been that good without them

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#4 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 12:34 AM

Finnaly a game worth playing on AR... A shame I would not rate it more than 2.5 tough.
"I am on a hot streak... Literally"

#5 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 06:36 AM

a1s, on Jun 30 2005, 11:42 PM, said:

yet another graphical RL :)
<sigh> I guess I better start living in the XXI century... ;)
Why don't you try out and review Nethack or SLASH'EM then?  ;)

#6 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:01 PM

Eagle of Fire, on Jul 2 2005, 01:34 AM, said:

Finnaly a game worth playing on AR... A shame I would not rate it more than 2.5 tough.
Feel free to suggest and review some better ones if that's how you feel! We're always welcome to submissions.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#7 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 12:04 PM

Hehey is N not worth playing?

#8 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 03:58 PM

Feel free to suggest and review some better ones if that's how you feel! We're always welcome to submissions.

Frankly, I seriously doubt I'll ever see a very good freeware game in my life, even less on this site.

#9 MrBackAlleySka

MrBackAlleySka

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 09:24 PM

Eagle of Fire, on Jul 3 2005, 03:58 PM, said:

Frankly, I seriously doubt I'll ever see a very good freeware game in my life, even less on this site.
Don't have much love for the Reloaded do yah there Eagle? Well thats cool ^__^

#10 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:00 PM

I managed to get a good score yesterday, but it was really tough.

Eagle of Fire on Level 16, 221 MDK (I am guessing it's the number of monsters I killed on the way) with a score of 967. This score allowed me to get first on the Hiscore table.

I used the feats Combat Training, Advanced Fighting Style, Veteran, Hunter, Alchemy, Artefact Lore, Akolyth, Chosen (Godess of Healing), Spelunker, Short Sighted, Outcast and Low Mana.

It's a fighter who doesn't cast so I've taken Low Mana right away. Spelunker give me a lamp to start with so Short Sighted is not really a problem either while Outcast, surprisingly, is not a hard disavantage to go with.

For the advantages, Combat Training and Advanced Fighting Style garantee that I have a chance agaisnt about any monster right away. Same thing for Veteran which provide me with some nice help for the equipment at the beginning. Hunter allow me to find food easily anywhere and to score extra points while Alchemy and Artefact Lore combined allow me to make good potions out of mushrooms. Those potions help a lot. Finnaly, Akolyth allow me to visit a healing shrine up to 4 times per level and provide me with an Artefact which revive me once (very usefull!) while Chosen (Godess of Healing) provide me with a slow but steady increase in HP.

The only problem with this char is that movement is halved (50%) because of encumbrance right away. Hopefully, adding only one strenght point make it go down to 25% instead so I always put 4 points in strenght in the first 4 levels. The pickaxe, shovel and rope the Spelunker feat give me at the start are extremely usefull for digging up extra treasures and clearing paths. Sometimes a gem come out of a rock too when I destroy it.

What about your own hi-scores? :)

#11 a1s

a1s

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 05:11 AM

Eagle of Fire, on Jul 8 2005, 07:00 PM, said:

I used the feats Combat Training, Advanced Fighting Style, Veteran, Hunter, Alchemy, Artefact Lore, Akolyth, Chosen (Godess of Healing), Spelunker, Short Sighted, Outcast and Low Mana.
I know I'm a n00b, but exactly how does one do that? (I only had the red ones to chose from ;) )

EDIT: nevermind, it appears you can scroll down. boy is my face red. :)
Those of you being liberal-art majors � don�t worry, advanced mathematics were largely omitted from this text in concern for your mental health.

QUOTE (Mighty Midget)
if BP has potied on Twilight Zone episode, I will strangle him

secret adept of the PICKALLONWEASEL order

#12 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:59 AM

According to the highscore list, my best character was Elgen Edwin, level 16, 248 MKS and a score of 892. Oddly enough I've had another character that reached level 19 and 269 MKS, but still has a lower score (only 694).

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#13 The Hunterminator

The Hunterminator

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 06:08 PM

Hey Eagle of Fire, that's pretty impressive. Maybe you would have some advice for me? I have a trait combination I like but it needs a bit of fine tuning before I get THAT far.

Anyway, the traits are Arcane Power, Leyline Contact, Magic Training, Spell Power, Mana, Sorcery, Alchemy, Scroll Lore, Necromancy, Druid MagicUnobservant, Magic Weakness, Cursed, Forsaken

From the top, Arcane Power gives an extra nudge the right way magic wise, and really helps when I use arcane bolt all the time. Leyline Contact, along with Mana, provide my character with an ample supply of Mana that is vital to a pure mage. Magic Training and Spell Power are also very useful to have. Sorcery is necessary personally because I hate for my magic to be unreliable. Alchemy, like you said, allows me to have a large ammount of potions to get out of tight fixes. As for Scroll Lore, the whole learn spells from scrolls is really useful, if only to learn identify early on and use it a lot. Necromancy is, for now, my favourite school of magic, mainly because of dark mana (turns skelletons to mana) as well as drain life (which, along with healing, make Forsaken a moot point). Druid Magic, I use mainly for magic apples and open, although bat form and wolf form give very good dark vision, very useful for finding a nexus or crossing a river if I have no flight or walk on water.

As for the bad, Magic Weakness has never been a problem, and Cursed only comes in effect when I'm out of luck. In fact, the only one that REALLY irks me is Unobservant due to the fact that traps always end up being my downfall. I have just, for example, been hit by a magical trap that froze everything. "No worries" I say, "I have a potion of resist cold" no sooner have I crossed that trap that I trigger a fire based magical trap that forces me to turn around and back in the ice (my potion ran out at that point) I then hit a curse trap only to find out that that path too is blocked out by fire. I turn around only to get finished by an ambush of ogres when my shield spell just ran out.
/\
|
|
|
Lurker

#14 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 07:16 PM

I'll try your combinaison when I have time, but off my hat I would say drop cursed (because I find that trait very, very annoying for having tryied it) for Outcast. Outcast is not that much of a downgrade, even at -30% you'll still get most of the merchants.

You need big money to buy the good stuff of merchants anyways, so unless you take the trait which give you 1000$ at the start it doesn't matter much if you miss one or two...

#15 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 07:19 PM

Or you could just have thieving skill and hight dexterity for a 70%+ chance of nicking valuable items. :)

Or did he fix that in the latest release?

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

Reply to this topic