#1 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:40 PM

Hi!

After much pondering on what the name should be I have posted this! A game making contest! Fear not, if you have no idea on how to make a game, in this contest, using engines is allowed!

Here are the details on the contest:
Due date: 13.4.2007
Allowed engines: Any you can dig out, but they have to be able to create a seperate .exe or .swf
Platform: Must have Windows support.
Entry: Post in this thread to enter, or send me an email potatoegames@gmail.com
Entries: Entries will have to be sent to potatoegames@gmail.com . No exceptions.
Entry details: Entry email must contain the following: Name/Username, Game .exe and possible .dll and font files all in a nice .zip/.rar file, SHORT description of the game and genre, and finally wether it was coded by you from scratch(programming language) or whether you used an engine(specify which engine).

The winner will be posted on this thread.

Some engines:
http://www.clickteam.com/eng/index.php
http://www.fpscreator.com/
http://www.gamemaker.nl

#2 greywolf

greywolf

The Wanderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:43 PM

If you extend the deadline about 2 years, I might be able to do it. :)

#3 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 05:55 PM

View Postgreywolf, on Feb 13 2007, 06:43 PM, said:

If you extend the deadline about 2 years, I might be able to do it. :)
Or use an engine ;)

#4 greywolf

greywolf

The Wanderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:26 PM

Well, even with an engine you still have to code (albeit the hard part's over). I'd probably end up making some sort of lame text game or something in C++, since quality free game makers are few and far between.

Seriously, though, I don't think I'll be able to do it, mostly because of the fact that I'll be going to college to learn C++ for real next year, and have no motivation to try to learn it in the meantime. I might experiment with python for a while, but currently I'm busy installing Kubuntu and trying not to reformat my hard drive while I partition it.

Next year (or much later this year) I'll probably start on my dream roguelike and submit it to a game competition if we have another one like this again.

#5 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:43 PM

View Postgreywolf, on Feb 13 2007, 09:26 PM, said:

Well, even with an engine you still have to code (albeit the hard part's over). I'd probably end up making some sort of lame text game or something in C++, since quality free game makers are few and far between.

Seriously, though, I don't think I'll be able to do it, mostly because of the fact that I'll be going to college to learn C++ for real next year, and have no motivation to try to learn it in the meantime. I might experiment with python for a while, but currently I'm busy installing Kubuntu and trying not to reformat my hard drive while I partition it.

Next year (or much later this year) I'll probably start on my dream roguelike and submit it to a game competition if we have another one like this again.
True. Or just use game factory. :)

#6 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:27 PM

there is no way in hell your going to get enough people together for a competition... making a game takes some effort you know :)

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#7 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:17 PM

View PostDakaSha, on Feb 15 2007, 05:27 PM, said:

there is no way in hell your going to get enough people together for a competition... making a game takes some effort you know :)
2 months is more than enough.

#8 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:46 PM

View PostPotatoe, on Feb 15 2007, 04:17 PM, said:

View PostDakaSha, on Feb 15 2007, 05:27 PM, said:

there is no way in hell your going to get enough people together for a competition... making a game takes some effort you know ;)
2 months is more than enough.
... provided there's nothing else you need to get done, you mean.:)

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#9 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:52 AM

jeez... all the negativity, people...

He never said it had to be an award winning game with a presentation spotlight at E3 or anything...

I think I might try something, but expect it to be short, pathetic, and/or laughable ;)

But hey, that's better than the nothing that's gonna happen with attitudes as seen in a few of the above posts.... :)
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#10 Qbix

Qbix

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:23 AM

What are the prices ? :)

I still have some test/demo work laying around for creating an simple rpg engine using tilestudio( at sourceforge.net) as map editor. Not sure how what your opinion is on unfinished/techdemo stuff for your game making contest. I could probably transform the code to have some game element in it.

#11 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:02 AM

View Posttaikara, on Feb 16 2007, 04:52 AM, said:

But hey, that's better than the nothing that's gonna happen with attitudes as seen in a few of the above posts.... :)
And what attitude is that if I may ask? People do have lives and other commitments, so it's very optimistic to assume they'll be able to create games from scratch (and without ever having tried before) within two months. For example, Potatoe's deadline is one month away from the date on which my finals will be starting. I'm sorry if that sounds selfish of me, but there's absolutely no way I'll be spending the next two months trying to make a computer game.;)

#12 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:29 PM

And I'll have finals, three CLEP exams to study for and take, time-consuming art assignments to work on, a gallery show to participate in, a job, a site to work on, and a boyfriend living a few towns over to drive back and forth to see... it doesn't mean I can't at least manage to be supportive.

Potatoe's idea is a good one, and it's not uncommon. Caiman and AGS run short deadline game contests (one of the games we have on the site - 6 Day Assassin - was made in 6 days for one of these contests). I'm pretty sure that most people who make freeware games have other obligations, so I don't see a reason to be so cynical and discouraging.

So, I'm going to try, and I may not finish, and even if I do, it may totally suck, but I think that's better than effectively proclaiming it can't be done. You never know unless you actually try, after all.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#13 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:06 PM

Ok, I'm just gonna side with Tai. It does not have to be an awsome game. Just something simple. I could make a simple arcade game in a week or so, working only on and off. So with that said I think I'll just wait and see if I get any game entries on time.

#14 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:13 PM

Okay, so here's going to be at least some activity and I immediately thought this idea might be fertile - however I most likely can't get anything working together in even 2 years... So what about everyone cools down and concentrates on their game or to the things that prevent making the game?

If I get anything done, it'll be text-based short rpg-adventure. I have an idea, but most likely I can't do it. :)
...70 years... LOL

#15 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:26 PM

View Posttaikara, on Feb 16 2007, 02:29 PM, said:

And I'll have finals, three CLEP exams to study for and take, time-consuming art assignments to work on, a gallery show to participate in, a job, a site to work on, and a boyfriend living a few towns over to drive back and forth to see... it doesn't mean I can't at least manage to be supportive.

Potatoe's idea is a good one, and it's not uncommon. Caiman and AGS run short deadline game contests (one of the games we have on the site - 6 Day Assassin - was made in 6 days for one of these contests). I'm pretty sure that most people who make freeware games have other obligations, so I don't see a reason to be so cynical and discouraging.

So, I'm going to try, and I may not finish, and even if I do, it may totally suck, but I think that's better than effectively proclaiming it can't be done. You never know unless you actually try, after all.
OK, fine. If you prefer, I'll rephrase that, then: it can't be done by me, and saying so doesn't make me an unsupportive cynic, it's simply stating the truth.