45 replies to this topic

#1 Dvoe

Dvoe

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:39 AM

What are some of your favorite TV shows of all time? Why are they your favorites? What are the best seasons? Collect the DVDs? Any recommendations?

Personally I'm a huge Sci-fi/Fantasy fan so obviously most of my favorite shows come from that genre. Some of my favorite shows include:

1. Babylon5 (The BEST ever) :P
2. Star Trek TNG/DS9 (the finest Trek)
3. The Simpsons (Particularly seasons 2-9)
4. Quantum Leap (classic show with Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell)
5. Doctor Who (I think I enjoy something in all 20394050 seasons of it)

Lets see some of your favs  :P

#2 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:45 AM

Hmm let's see

Simpsons definitely Seasons 2-10 I'd go, after that it just falls apart.

Futurama a great show, so sad that it was canceled it had potential to be just as good as the simpsons.

Family Guy, great show, always have laughs with this one and the new season has been rather enjoyable. Great all around show.

Star Trek TNG/DS9- Agreed Finest Trek.

Reboot- A really great cartoon, such a good story and everything about it, sad thing they made a series of movies to continue storyline yet the last one, leaves the story hanging, and to date they haven't finished it. :P

The 4400- A really excellent show with a sci fi feeling  (Thanks Tai for recommending it  :P) Got the first season on dvd, only 5 episodes but it really drew me in, can't wait till season 2's comes out.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#3 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 01:02 AM

I'm a huge Buffy fan...

Firefly, as well. I just find Joss Whedon good, though Angel's not my favorite (I still think it's good, though).

I liked Felicity, mainly because it made me laugh... though it was kind of slow sometimes.

The 4400 is very good, I'm addicted.

I can't believe you didn't mention FarScape, Dvoe, that's a really good sci-fi series.

Old school...

I loved McGuyver. Couldn't get enough :P
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#4 Dvoe

Dvoe

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 01:24 AM

Very nice taikara. I love alot of Joss Whedon's work. Firefly, Angel and Buffy are all class shows. Buffy season 5 and Angel season 2 contain some of my favorite story arcs in television history.

Firefly was a show that really should have lasted longer. Prolly the most consistently solid 14 episodes ever aired. The movie Serenity, while good, was bittersweet.

#5 Dvoe

Dvoe

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 01:26 AM

DeathDude, on Oct 31 2005, 12:45 AM, said:

Reboot- A really great cartoon, such a good story and everything about it, sad thing they made a series of movies to continue storyline yet the last one, leaves the story hanging, and to date they haven't finished it. :P
That show remains one of my guilty pleasure to this day. :P

#6 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 01:49 AM

I'm surprised you didn't put down Family Guy or Futurama either, when ya've got both collections with every season to date. :P

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#7 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 02:11 AM

Earthworm Jim

Yo!

#8 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 02:12 AM

Joss Whedon & Co. just write some of the best dialogue and storyline ever, regardless of what naysayers complain about with fandom and all.

I don't actually watch TV very much, and I don't remember why I started watching Buffy, but it was in the 6th season, and I started catching up with the rest of the series via FX, which aired it like 4 times a day in serial, and then I just had to go for the DVDs.

So, I didn't start watching it for all the hype (I didn't even know there was hype until I got into it), but it was just GOOD.

And the end of Season 5 makes me cry every time I see it.

The musical episode (Once More With Feeling) is hilariously well done, and the Hush episode is just beautiful.

And I prefer Spike to Angel. Angel is just a big collie of a vampire.

And Firefly... well, it's just incredibly disappointing that the network canned it.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#9 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 02:25 AM

One of the many bad decisions of Fox, I bet they are kicking themselves now for doing it, there was talk about a sequel to Serenity but for that to happen the movie would have had to made $80 mil and from the numbers that have been shown, I doubt it'll happen, but I have heard talk there could be a season 2 in the works down the road the creator said would be interested in doing and with dvd sales for firefly doing pretty good maybe they'll do like they did with Family Guy and bring back Firefly :P, note to self: get firefly season one on dvd.

#10 Dvoe

Dvoe

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 03:40 AM

Damn it would be great if we could get another season of Firefly but I seriously doubt that it could happen. The movie was a complete bomb barely making back its production costs. Going with the feature film was the wrong move on their part. They would have been much better off by airing a couple of TV movies instead to kick-start the franchise. They gambled and lost on the movie; looks like we've seen the end of Firefly. :P

#11 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 06:01 AM

Yeah tv movies would probably have been the better idea rather than go the theatre route, but still if history has shown us anything, dvd sales that do well may just do the trick in this case and Fox may get Firefly back and running, here's hoping I say. :P

#12 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 06:18 AM

YM/YPM and The Singing Detective - OK, that one wasn't really a TV show, but it was brilliant nevertheless.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#13 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 06:22 AM

Holy cow, someone actually (other than me) likes Buffy and admits it? :P I just loved that asylum episode! And there's always place in my life for Sarah Michelle Gellar :P Unfortunately I haven't seen all season, I miss something like 4 and 5, IIRC and episodes here and there.
...70 years... LOL

#14 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 07:02 AM

hmm well Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is very far up on the fav list.

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#15 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 09:11 AM

:P, Turtles :P

Erm, let's see. Futurama (never mind potential, it's better than The Simpsons) and Family guy, anything Chris Morris did (Brass Eye, The Day Today, Jam, Nathan Barley), I'm Alan Partridge (and Knowing Me, Knowing You), The Prisoner (the episode of The Simpsons which takes off The Prisoner is absolutely amazing, and such a low percentage joke it surprises me that they actually made it), I'm with AJ on Yes, Minister, Black Books, oooh and Spaced - possibly the finest 13 half-hours ever commited to film (and that includes Fawlty Towers and The Young Ones). Plus many many more, like Six Feet Under and The West Wing.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.