89 replies to this topic

#1 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 05:51 PM

I've seen this sort of thread somewhere sometime and thought it might work here too! So, please, if you have anything in mind that has happened this day at history.

Juni's history trivia #1: Today, Dec 16. 1941, several strong Soviet Union counterattacks were fended off in Syväri after somewhat easy times. Soviets lost at least 1'000 men, while finns survived with minor casualties.
...70 years... LOL

#2 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 05:55 PM

Alrighty let's see.

Today on December 16

1770-Composer Ludwig van Beethoven is born at Bonn, Germany

1980-Kentucky Fried Chicken Founder and fast food industry pioneer Harland Sanders, better known as Colonel Sanders, dies at age 90.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#3 Stroggy

Stroggy

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 06:48 PM

Mao's little red book was first published on December 16, 1966.

#4 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:27 PM

1775 - birth of Jane "The One Writer Nobody Dares to Say a Word Against" Austen.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#5 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:30 PM

A. J. Raffles, on Dec 16 2005, 10:27 PM, said:

1775 - birth of Jane "The One Writer Nobody Dares to Say a Word Against" Austen.
I dare - so very very dull :tai:
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#6 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:42 PM

BeefontheBone, on Dec 16 2005, 09:30 PM, said:

A. J. Raffles, on Dec 16 2005, 10:27 PM, said:

I dare - so very very dull :unsure:
She can be quite nasty, actually.:tai:

And if you think Austen is dull, you ought to try Richardson...

#7 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 08:11 PM

Yeah, and if you think that's dull then... Sherlock Holmes... eugh... I hate those books.

The man who wrote them may well have been skilled in the writing of his other books, but Sherlock Holmes makes him out to be some kind of inarticulate cretin.

No offence to any Sherlockians, of course :tai:

#8 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:29 PM

PrejudiceSucks, on Dec 18 2005, 08:11 PM, said:

Yeah, and if you think that's dull then... Sherlock Holmes... eugh... I hate those books.

The man who wrote them may well have been skilled in the writing of his other books, but Sherlock Holmes makes him out to be some kind of inarticulate cretin.

No offence to any Sherlockians, of course :bleh:
  :unsure: If that wasn't abuse of submin powers, I'd give you a warn for insulting The Sacred Writings...OMG

What exactly don't you like about the stories, by the way? That they're too Victorian?:tai:

On topic: Today's the 135th birthday of Saki.

#9 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:40 PM

December 18-

Born on this day Rolling Stones Guitarist Keith Richards 1943, filmaker Steven Spielberg, 1947.

1970-The Local authories board orders the annexation of the mill woods area to Edmonton. This will increase the city's size by about 20 square miles (And yet to this day we still call the area mill woods.) :tai:

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#10 Dvoe

Dvoe

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:38 AM

December 19th :

1843 - Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol is first published.

1917 - The first National Hockey League (NHL) games are played. :unsure:

1998 - US president Bill Clinton is impeached by the House for perjury and obstruction of justice.

Happy Holidays :tai:

#11 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:21 PM

Please lets keep this in-topic, shall we? :tai:

Juni's history trivia #2: In 324AD reign of Valerius Licinianus Licinius, or simply Emperor Licinius, ends. He was well known for limiting christians freedom of speech, movement and gathering. Christian church might easily look a lot different, if Licinius had won his last battle, for his successor, Constantine, his last foe, was the one who legalized christianity and even converted to it in his deathbed.
...70 years... LOL

#12 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:40 PM

December 19, 1990

7 year old Jesse Ray Purdy tells his mother if he doesnt get to open his christmas gifts now that he is going to hold his breath untill he dies.

He fails miserably

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#13 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:45 PM

I don't like the fact that they're written very inarticulately/simply and I also don't like the quite frankly ridiculous plotlines of some of them.

The Speckled Band, for example.

"Yes, I'll just believe that a doctor can easily keep some animals from India in British weather. Especially a snake, which he feeds milk, trains and indeed can keep locked up in a safe for seemingly a very long time."

Anyway, that's a bit irrelevant to the topic.

#14 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 04:40 PM

Yet you're willing to suspend your disbelief a lot further when you're reading fantasy or SF books...
What you see as inarticulate and simple language was the secret of Doyle's success, actually. The stories were published in one of those literary journals that were mostly read by inarticulate and simple people. Actually it wasn't so much the stories' content or language as their structure that made them influential. It's a far cry from Wilkie Collins, which was the closest thing to English crime fiction before Conan Doyle.:tai:
Hmm, I suppose we'd better continue that discussion via PM...

Today's the anniversary of the Battle of Verdun, isn't it?

#15 Fruit Pie Jones

Fruit Pie Jones

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:38 PM

The stories were published in one of those literary journals that were mostly read by inarticulate and simple people.
Oh, for the days when inarticulate and simple people read literary journals!  Nowadays they mostly just shoot each other.

Today's the anniversary of the Battle of Verdun, isn't it?
Today's the anniversary of the end of the Battle of Verdun.  February 21st is the anniversary of its beginning.
Today is a good day for pie.