45 replies to this topic

#31 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:46 PM

Yeah I don't think disabling the post count would really do much, it wouldn't stop the spam or anything, even if posts were important to some people, it does make a forum unique to see how many times someone is posted, usually you can tell who's been around for awhile because of this.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#32 Guest_Data_*

Guest_Data_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:51 PM

well I noticed that it is possible to disable a certain forum to contribute to the post count. So that might be helpful. Anyway I personally find spam disturbing. It's junk that wastes the time of many people who's time is expensive.

#33 Kon-Tiki

Kon-Tiki

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 06:05 PM

Actually, in a forum I've been a member of for years, the owner grew tired of the spam there (although it wasn't even that much) and turned off showing post count. First there were a couple of complaints, but those settled soon enough. After that... no spam anymore, but it's still a forum, and it's got meaningful discussions.

Disabling post count has proven to be useful (although, of course, no community's the same), but it does have to be disabled each time the forum software's upgraded. I dunno whether it was an option or whether they quickly took it out of the code, though, but I doubt it's that hard to take out.

#34 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 06:09 PM

I think Picard had a good idea when he said that he'll allow one spam topic at a time, because then basically if spam disturbs you, you can ignore that topic, but the problem is when spam spoils otherwise valid topics...
That's why I again say that a spam part of the forum would be useful(with diabled postcount, or even with every post -1 to your postcount , if it's possible), that way everyone who hates spam could ignore that forum, and others could blow of their steam, and that would probably mean less spam for all the other forums...

Also I don't think that abandonia has reached the spam high lately, did you all forget the different wordssnake games and alike?

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#35 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 06:17 PM

Well this past month I thought abandonia had really a lot of topics that were just pointless I felt at least, hence me not heading there as much anymore, but it has gotten better as of late, so that's good to see imo, so hopefully things are looking up and such and some spammers may be getting the message.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#36 Indignus IV

Indignus IV

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:03 PM

Spam is impossible to avoid. It comes with any topic, no matter how meaningful or thoughtful. It is omnipresent, and though it is possible to cut it down a little, you cannot get rid of it permanently. However, I very STRONGLY disagree on taking away the postcount. It just gives you a bit of a feeling of power (yes! I reached 500!) kind of like milestones in your membership history. To some, it is also a form of competition (not to me, I'm just saying.)

#37 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:19 PM

Perhaps the feeling of power, and the sense of competition is what leads some people to spamming overmuch, hmm?
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#38 Kon-Tiki

Kon-Tiki

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:19 PM

Which is exactly what's encouraging spam, and which exactly is what could take it down.

#39 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:21 PM

I would agree with that yeah, it would seem like it at sometimes when it's a rather small community, the opportunity of wanting to be the top poster can be a motivating factor, that can cloud people's judgements...

#40 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:26 PM

I quite like the feeling of knowing that while someone may have more posts than me, mine were probably more useful. Or at least funnier.

It doesn't always apply, of course.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#41 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:10 PM

BeefontheBone, on Jun 15 2005, 10:26 PM, said:

I quite like the feeling of knowing that while someone may have more posts than me, mine were probably more useful. Or at least funnier.

It doesn't always apply, of course.
It's funny you should mention that as you're the top poster on this forum. :)

And I agree with Einherjer in that the term spam is often misused, and I do it myself sometimes too. I think that a post which isn't necessarily completely on topic, but still somehow touches the topic, can still be very good, and sometimes posts like that spark even better discussions. Whether that post should be split into a new topic is the admins decision, but regardless I wouldn't call it spam, and I wouldn't call any (relevant) replies to that post spam. Actually I think that calling such posts spam can be detrimental to good discussions, as that can discourage people to post anything that might be even slightly off topic.

And even though I haven't been a member on Abandonia for more than a couple of months, it seems to me that what a number of you are primarily dissatified with is that the forum has grown to a point where everybody no longer knows everybody else. That amd the fact that many members equals many posts/topics. IMO you don't have to follow every topic on the forum, to be a part of it. I don't. I follow the topics I find interesting/funny and ignore the rest, but that's just me.
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

#42 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:27 PM

Flop, on Jun 15 2005, 10:10 PM, said:

I follow the topics I find interesting/funny and ignore the rest, but that's just me.
Amen.

(there is this spam or isn't?)

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#43 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 11:41 PM

Flop, on Jun 15 2005, 11:10 PM, said:

BeefontheBone, on Jun 15 2005, 10:26 PM, said:

mine were probably more useful. Or at least funnier.
It's funny you should mention that as you're the top poster on this forum. :)
I reckon if you looked for all my posts the majority would qualify as useful or funny, but a fair number might not.

maybe ... I am a spammer! Noooo! :cries:

*realises this would be a pretty good example of spam...*
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#44 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:34 AM

Hmm spiced ham, or 'spam' for short is can be a good thing or a bad thing.

In some cases you just think to yourself 'this is the best-tasting humour I have ever read' and in others you think 'Oh dear God! It feels like my mouth has just been violated'.

Anyways, that's a crap food-based analogy, so I'll cut to the chase :-

There are some discussions which will always turn to 'spam' (such as one about religion, any kind of club for seperate countries etc.) and others in which spam is just uncalled for (anything in Requests for example).

IMO if somebody asks for a game which is not abandonware/freeware then the topic should be locked ASAP. If it's uncertain then a discussion should take place. If people are arranging putting stuff up on a site then that kind of discussion is OK too.

But Beef, your wisdom does shine through - You can just think to yourself : 'Wow, each of my last 100 posts have been hilarious, they are totally better than anyone elses', not 'wait a tick, that cheeky PrejudiceSucks chap is catching up with me, must make new topic on the history of egg-based comedy just right for spamming!'.

#45 Himmler

Himmler

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:59 PM

:) I do not agree with spam at all! On the forum which I visit the most the topics are spammed and old topics from 2002-2003 are being reopened...the admins are not coming so it's a hell!