104 replies to this topic

#1 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 02:45 AM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review + download

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#2 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2784 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 02:56 AM

Whoohoo!

I love this game! :blink:

Yo!

#3 BlackFurredBeast

BlackFurredBeast

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:59 AM

The sound problem the reviewer mentioned can simply be fixed by opening the windows mixer and turning down the midi volume. Simple as pie.
Aw crap, I'm bloggified!
http://bfbeast666.blogy.de (in German)

#4 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 07:59 AM

*is tempted to download but decides to finish her essay on John Webster first - lots of blood and guts in that one as well*:blink:

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#5 hfric

hfric

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:07 AM

this game is simply crazy :blink: the craziest idea i saw
user posted image

#6 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:46 AM

BlackFurredBeast, on Nov 28 2005, 06:59 AM, said:

The sound problem the reviewer mentioned can simply be fixed by opening the windows mixer and turning down the midi volume. Simple as pie.
yes but its still a problem game wise. there should be an option in game. but still thanks for the tip  :blink:

edit:
btw i really dont like this review... it was done right before the contest ended and i felt really rushed.

for one thing I'd like to add that this game could well be a 4.0 or so title but because its a roguelike i think it should be more complex... roguelikes are just supposed to be more complex in my opinion.

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#7 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 11:16 AM

You are allowed to edit your own review, Daka :blink:

Yo!

#8 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:51 PM

When we were looking at it before, we did notice that you didn't say what a roguelike actually is - might be something else to consider if you edit it.

Might get round to playing this one later, make a change from Zangband.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#9 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 01:23 PM

ok tom & beef... when i get around to it ill send in an edited version :blink:

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#10 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 03:08 PM

Having played it a bit, I'm liking it - it's dead simple, easy to get into and captures a lot of the atmosphere of Doom - as soon as the music started I knew I was going to enjoy it, and that shotgun noise is still as perfect as ever. Took me a little while to realise I could unload the ammo out of weapons without picking them up (seven pistols seemed a bit excessive...) though. I'll have to remember to avoid entering Hell's Arena at level 2 next time though...
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

#11 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 03:09 PM

told ya... the music is just too friggen cool :blink:

Posted Image

#12 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 03:26 PM

BeefontheBone, on Nov 28 2005, 03:08 PM, said:

I'll have to remember to avoid entering Hell's Arena at level 2 next time though...
Hehehe :blink:

I did the same thing. I did exceptionally well, I think. Killed imps and those pink bulls all over the place... then a cacaodemon came LOL

Yo!

#13 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 03:28 PM

I managed to kill a cacodemon (and a couple of lost souls caught in the blast) but then a demon came and ate me :blink:
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)

#14 Svlad

Svlad

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 04:51 PM

I disagree with the premise that it should be more complex; I think it's personal bias on your part.  Not that it's a huge deal, but I do think you should review a game by less arbitrary standards.

Katamari Damacy is an awesome game - there aren't too many people out there who'll dispute that, I hope, so it's a good example.  It's simple.  It's really simple.  It doesn't even use most of the buttons of the PS2 controller.  The set of verbs available to your character is tightly restricted.  ('move', 'avoid', 'explore', 'accidentally whap into' and 'add to katamari', pretty much sums the entire game up!) Yet.. it's a great game!

If DoomRL was *trying* to be a complex game, if it had the same array of controls and learning curve Nethack had, but only actually achieved its current level of complexity, that would be a bad game.  But it tries to be a RL equivalent of Doom.  You run around and you shoot things.  It achieves that, and it's fun given those goals.  Deep strategy?  No, not particularly.  But it's fun.

DoomRL isn't a completely amazing game - it's not something you can play for 20 hours in a week unless you happen to become obsessed.  But I dno't think you've given it an entirely fair shake by saying that it's not complex, therefore it's not good.

In your defense, I don't think your review is that far off the mark, either.  The lack of depth *does* hurt it.  Just not as much as I think you thought it does. :blink:

*returns to lurking*

#15 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:00 PM

well i stated simplicity as a good point and bad point. and i didnt really diss the game at all. i also try to rate as objectivly as possible... youll see that with my upcoming little fighter 2 review.

the reason it gets a lower mark then many may agree with is because no... i definetly have nothing against simplicity in games (heh... youll see that too in my nomltest FS review) but i DO have something against this much simplicity in roguelikes.. i just think that MOST people that actually play roguelikes will start playing DOOM RL... think its fun... but then return to ADoM after a week or so because of the lack of things to do.

also as i stated above i dont like this review at all... i really rushed through it and it will be edited in the future. mabye it will recieve a better mark from me as i also rushed the rating.

anyways thanks for your intelligent (opposed to: DUH! your review sucks dude!) criticism on the review :blink:

(heh... aint that a shocker huh raffles? LOL)

Posted Image

Back to Games on Reloaded

Reply to this topic