Global Warming

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

Poll: Global Warming

Is global warming real?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Is it possible to reverse the effects?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 greywolf

greywolf

The Wanderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:39 AM

Thank you, Juni. :) However, I think you missed this bit in my post...

View Postgreywolf, on Mar 5 2007, 01:02 PM, said:

Personally, I think that the media (in america, at least) focuses on doom and gloom so much that they've created a kind of culture of fear. Although I don't think this is totally intentional, fear stories bring in more ratings than non-fear stories, and thus people think that crime levels have gone up for the last 50 years, when it has in fact gone down.
However, I completely agree with you otherwise. :P Personally, I do believe that nuclear energy will help pave the road to energy independence, unless those water-powered engines take over (which I sincerely hope they do). Of course, once we've been using them for a few decades, the media will probably blow a simple physics fact (by burning hydrogen out of the water, we'll be "polluting" the air with more oxygen) far out of proportion, twisting it into a politicized issue that will sway millions of people into believing that minimizing your personal "oxygen" footprint will avert global oxygen poisoning. :P

#32 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:59 AM

you know its not that illogical that more (too much) oxygen in the air could disrupt things :)

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#33 greywolf

greywolf

The Wanderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:07 AM

Yes, but my point is that it's ridiculous to think that with the huge atmosphere of the earth, it would be affected so soon, especially considering that as population grows, humans will breathe more oxygen, helping to offset the effect. I was specifically referring to the fact that exposure to oxygen in concentrated amounts for long periods of time is dangerous, and that I highly doubt that unless thousands upon thousands of years pass with continuous pumping of oxygen into the air, the atmosphere isn't going to turn into 98% oxygen and poison us all.

In fact, we wouldn't really need any more trees because of all the car/factory engines running on water and polluting the atmosphere with oxygen. Heck, we could even have CO2 scubbers that could break it down into more oxygen (and carbon to boot!) that run on water and pollute with oxygen themselves! At this rate, we'll probably end up filling the planet with so much oxygen, we'd have to tank it up and shoot loads of it into the sun, or even just disperse it into space, and after a few centuries of that, the solar system would have an atmosphere and you could float around forever as long as you had food and water for the rest of your life (although I could imagine that getting a bit boring unless you had an alienware, 500 terabyte hard drive, an internet connection, and mad programming skills - just don't let go of the keyboard - ever). I think I like this oxygen-pollution idea! :)

#34 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:54 AM

you know its not that illogical that more (too much) oxygen in the air could disrupt things
It could actually, if there would be more oxygen in the air flamability would be much higher causing many forests to burn much more easily than today, there are other side effects but I can't remember them atm.

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#35 greywolf

greywolf

The Wanderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:12 PM

So, is anyone ready to become a vegan to save the planet? Take one for the team, err, I mean the earth. :)

#36 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:58 AM

Sorry Grey, I missed that point. To answer your last question: never. Medium steak is one of the last pleasures without any drawbacks in my life. :)
...70 years... LOL

#37 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:39 PM

No chance for me either, the day I become a vegan is the day I stop loving metal, ain't gonna happen. :)

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#38 greywolf

greywolf

The Wanderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:39 PM

Muahaha, I've got you all turning into evil conservative hatemongers already! It's too easy! :)

#39 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:45 PM

I'm actually trying out vegetarianism (well, trying to eat a lot less meat anyway) at the minute. Not that I ate much before, but I decided to make a conscious effort. Mainly for the health benefits to myself (plus financial ones - meat is expensive), although there is a significant environmental effort to herding cattle for meat - land clearance and their methane contributions don't help much. Veganism's a bit extreme, though - it's hard to get enough protein, for a start.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#40 Japofran

Japofran

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 03:49 AM

View PostDeathDude, on Mar 10 2007, 04:39 PM, said:

the day I become a vegan is the day I stop loving metal, ain't gonna happen.
Best quote ever. Maybe a metal song could be composed with this title. :)
..oO Mustached Crusader of the PEEKOCKSWOOZZLE Order Oo..
"STFU and show me your screenies!!"

#41 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 07:54 AM

"The day I become a vegan is the day I stop loving metal, ain't gonna happen." © to DeathDude.  :)

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#42 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 10:41 AM

View Postgreywolf, on Mar 10 2007, 11:39 PM, said:

Muahaha, I've got you all turning into evil conservative hatemongers already! It's too easy! :P
Who says I wasn't already? :P

Anyways, after that "copyright" I'm so going to quote that! :)
...70 years... LOL

#43 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:50 PM

The only problem is that it's very easy to read as "The day I become a vegan is the day I stop loving meat..."
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#44 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:58 PM

Yes it's one of those sentences that are great to take out of context.

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#45 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 05:09 PM

Sure, for entertainment purposes course it is. :P Still it won't happen any time soon, meat is too good.  :)