Docktor_Worm

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:47 PM

a real time strategy game in the mechwarrior universe
it wouldn't let me download though, probably due to overflowing servers :P

Edit: Had to take down the link, since the series is still being sold/ freeware status not sure of atm.

Edited by DeathDude, 04 September 2006 - 10:14 PM.

IPB Image
...her rabid glow is like braille to the night

#2 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:52 PM

Um these look like the actual mechcommander games that were published back in the day, doubt they are freeware, much less abandonware since the series is still sold.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#3 Docktor_Worm

Docktor_Worm

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:02 PM

according to wikipedia its freeware, since the source code was released by microsoft
IPB Image

#4 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:05 PM

I don't believe the source code being released as freeware equals the game content being released as freeware, am I right?

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

#5 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:12 PM

View PostDocktor_Worm, on Sep 4 2006, 10:02 PM, said:

according to wikipedia its freeware, since the source code was released by microsoft
The two are different, Quake 2 is not freeware, but the source code is.

#6 Docktor_Worm

Docktor_Worm

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:12 PM

it was in the catagory of "formerly paid games that have been made available for free download by their copyright holders for various reasons, often as publicity for a forthcoming sequel or compilation release."
IPB Image

#7 RyGuy

RyGuy

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:23 AM

Couldn't you compile the source code in it's original state though? :P
IPB Image

#8 Dimsey

Dimsey

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:12 AM

Haven't downloaded it yet, but I was told that along with the sourcecode is a compiled version of it - and yeah, wiki says tis freeware. Lotta other places saying tis freeware. *shrugs*
Currently playing
Mercs 2 (360), Spore (PC)

#9 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:24 PM

Going to need some links to see if indeed is freeware from the places that say so.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#10 a1s

a1s

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:53 PM

View PostRyGuy, on Sep 5 2006, 01:23 AM, said:

you will be surprised how few people own a good C++ compiler, even in our educated times. :P

as for microsoft releasing the source code... I've no doubt they'd like to, but it's not theirs to release! ;)

P.S. it's a great game though, if it is freeware we should definetly have a review for it.
as for sources, here is a link for you (which you should have followed long ago), trying to fing a better article (one signed by someone from microprose) now.
Those of you being liberal-art majors � don�t worry, advanced mathematics were largely omitted from this text in concern for your mental health.

QUOTE (Mighty Midget)
if BP has potied on Twilight Zone episode, I will strangle him

secret adept of the PICKALLONWEASEL order

#11 RyGuy

RyGuy

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:20 PM

View Posta1s, on Sep 5 2006, 10:53 AM, said:

View PostRyGuy, on Sep 5 2006, 01:23 AM, said:

you will be surprised how few people own a good C++ compiler, even in our educated times. :P

as for microsoft releasing the source code... I've no doubt they'd like to, but it's not theirs to release! ;)

P.S. it's a great game though, if it is freeware we should definetly have a review for it.
But there are those who do, no?
IPB Image

#12 a1s

a1s

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:24 PM

View PostRyGuy, on Sep 5 2006, 03:20 PM, said:

But there are those who do not?
yes. that's what I said. anyway, if people can compile it they can use it, yes. (they would allso know where to downaload an illegal version, but that is beside the point).
Those of you being liberal-art majors � don�t worry, advanced mathematics were largely omitted from this text in concern for your mental health.

QUOTE (Mighty Midget)

#13 RyGuy

RyGuy

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:13 PM

Let's review here.

Death Dude says the series is still sold.

Wikipedia(Need I remind you anyone can edit Wikipedia) says it is freeware because Microsoft released the source code, not the actual game.

Now then, if the game is sold, but the source code is availible, then the source code may be abandonware/freeware, but that in no way affects the status of the full compiled game. So as long as Microsoft had permission to give out the source code, it would be okay for AR to host the source code(Unless they had their lawyers right up some long, long, long document saying otherwise.) but not the game because that is still sold.
IPB Image

#14 a1s

a1s

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:45 PM

not exactly.

Death Dude says the series is still sold.
true written in this thread.

Wikipedia says it is freeware
true follow the link I provided.

because Microsoft released the source code, not the actual game.
false Micrsoft doesn't own the source for Mechcommander (it does of MC 2 though), besides it would be nice if you quoted some sources.

Now then, if the game is sold, but the source code is availible, then the source code may be abandonware/freeware.
that's not how I would say it, but let's assume it's released underGPL. true follows from logics.

but that in no way affects the status of the full compiled game.
true everything that is not specificaly allowed is forbidden in copyright.( even if it's silly)

So as long as Microsoft had permission to give out the source code, it would be okay for AR to host the source code.
true follows from logic.

but not the game because that is still sold.
yup.

QUOTE (Mighty Midget)

#15 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 06:55 PM

Yeah that's what was thinking afterwards, if it's just the source code that was released not the actual game, the link that was being provided was for the iso file of the game, so yeah don't think we can host the game at this present time, but we'll continue to monitor the situation and see if that changes or if indeed we can.

Reply to this topic