141 replies to this topic

#61 Docktor_Worm

Docktor_Worm

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:32 PM

I think having everyone at your level is better than dungeons that were either about 20 levels above you or ones intended for level oners like in morrowind
IPB Image
...her rabid glow is like braille to the night

#62 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 07:21 PM

I'm enjoying Oblivion. Hopefully, it'll help me and my 360 tick over until Mass Effect part one arrives. With the amount of content in the game I'm sure it'll be at least a tiny ickle bit helpful during the wait.

I'm level 6 after 16 hours. I = TeH suXz0R!
Me>You

#63 Aristharus

Aristharus

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 05:40 AM

The level scaling doesn't bother me, really. I'd hate it much more if most of the caves around Imperial City would give no challenge at all after gaining a couple of levels.. It isn't completely realistic and it looks kinda stupid when the bandits suddenly start wearing dwarven armor, but I like it anyway.

In a real pen-and-paper RPG you'd kinda expect the same to happen, wouldn't you? A good GM should do it, and scale the dangers ahead for the players. It might happen in a different way, but still, it would happen. Why is it suddenly such a big deal when it happens in a computer game?

I agree that the scaling system isn't perfect. Everything shouldn't scale or at least some things should have tighter limits on the scaling. You shouldn't be able to become Arena Champion on level 1, but some things should be balanced according to your character. The system needs tweaking, but I think it's a good idea.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?

#64 Docktor_Worm

Docktor_Worm

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:40 PM

I have a semi-pollish thing here for you:
What regions and cities are your personal favorites and why?
I've barely seen any of the world since my computer slows downs so much outdoors, but i like the area around anvil a lot
IPB Image

#65 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:27 PM

Don't get me wrong. I was just moaning about how I seem so weak in comparison to other players. I actually like the scaleing system. Although, some things need to be refined it works well overall.

Arena champion at level 1?

Why am I stuck at the three eejit prisoners then?
Me>You

#66 Aristharus

Aristharus

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 06:11 AM

Sean, on May 4 2006, 10:27 PM, said:

Arena champion at level 1?

Why am I stuck at the three eejit prisoners then?
I'm not a champion, (I think I got bored and went off after I got promoted up from Pit dog or whatever that is) but I just read somewhere it was at least almost as easy to become champion on level 1 as it is on level 10. Don't know if it's true or not, but... Meh..
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?

#67 Maikel

Maikel

You dog!

• Reloaded Crew
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:27 AM

Oblivion is pretty insane. I love it. Though the 'oblivion' maps are incredibly bad. Ugly design, bad lighting. It felt like walking through morrowind again.

I seriously love the high elves ruins, with the creepy blue light  :P

I finished the game but I definetly choose the wrong class. :P

turning the grass off gives a huuuuuge performance boost.

#68 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 11:26 AM

Heh I could propably use such an FPS boost around the Gold Coast, but grass like that in Oblivion is something I dreamt of years ago. Not a chance I'm turning it off for any FPS boost :P

The Khajiit are propably the most annoying opponents in the Arena. With two using their fists and one weilding a sword you'll usually find yourself on the ground being cut to pieces. Be sure to carry restore fatigue potions, and pick them off one by one.

Oh, and my favorite region is propably the Jerall mountain range. I really love travelling over those narrow paths around misty peaks and over deep ravines.
A close second is the Great Forest.

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

#69 Maikel

Maikel

You dog!

• Reloaded Crew
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 12:53 PM

I love the towns. And I really dig the large tower in the imperial city. Visible almost throughout all parts of the game-area  :P

Further I'm 2 days away of getting some kind of superarmor I deserved after finishing the main quest. So I'll be a fashionable knight soon :P

I really loved the sidequest where you get sucked up into a painting and run around fighting painted trolls. Really cool!

#70 Aristharus

Aristharus

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 02:30 PM

Maikel, on May 5 2006, 12:53 PM, said:

I really loved the sidequest where you get sucked up into a painting and run around fighting painted trolls. Really cool!
This sounds cool, where is it?

Btw, I would've put a spoiler warning there.. I don't mind, but some people probably will.

#71 Maikel

Maikel

You dog!

• Reloaded Crew
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 04:06 PM

uhm...I don't know anymore. I THINK the town most to the right on the map.

#72 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 04:14 PM

In Cheydinhal. Just ask around for rumors and you'll hear about the missing painter.
That's propably an easier way to find his house then me describing it to you :P

#73 Docktor_Worm

Docktor_Worm

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 06:10 PM

Does anyone else "powerlevel" as I call it
If you want to get to the higher levels so you actually get some good loot instead of brooms and yarn, just take a weak spell and cast it where ever you go. About ten minutes of doing that and you can gain a level.
IPB Image

#74 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 06:25 PM

I usually jump around a lot, and cast fire spells every now and again. Doesn't seem to work that well though :P

Whats the levels you should expect to see good loot?

Examples of good loot are...?
Me>You

#75 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 07:21 PM

After level 6 you start seeing mithril and dwarven. I guess from there you can start calling it 'better' loot. You can get the 'good' enchanted and valuable stuff at pretty much any level, though. You just need to be very lucky.

Spells now need a valid target if they are to increase your skill. A nice sequence now is to conjure up a creature, cast soul trap on it and kill it with a good fireball :P
In Morrowind I always saw this technique as 'training'... There it actually took a lot of patience to increase your skill that way. In Oblivion it just goes too fast to be entirely fair, though.

Reply to this topic