#16 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 12:16 PM

Tulac, on Oct 29 2005, 10:32 AM, said:

Yeah, hmm what about those ever gorwing number of women who don't have children/are never married??
And what if the man and woman are equal in the care of their children, you still have to work more...
I guess equality is only on the part which serves women...
That's one way of looking at it. Another way would be that no matter what, women nearly always get paid significantly less than their male colleagues, and there's a LOT less women than men in top jobs. Equality when it suits them, huh? I'd say a fair chance of getting a good job and a right to equal pay are a lot more important, but nobody's even discussing those. That's equality for you.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#17 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 03:18 PM

Indeed that's an issue that really deserves attention, when in certain types of jobs your seeing women who do the same job as their male counterparts, getting less for the same type of work, and yeah although there is a rise of woman in top jobs, it's going slowly and certain industries (Going to throw one out but I could be wrong, let's say the oil industry) ya still don't see as many woman as their could be at top positions and the woman that are in top positions who also are an ethnic minority are even less in top positions or some high level position than white woman.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#18 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 03:33 PM

Hmm... I've had this one thought in my head for couple of hours, that I've read or heard from somewhere (I usually try to forget really unreliable sources immediately) that most women aren't necessarily interested in high-level management. So in my opinion we should concentrate on equalizing wages and not necessarily posts (if my first phrase had any truth in it). Still we've come a long way in a century and we must remember that opinions and attitudes change slowly over the generations. From that view we've made progress very fast. And there's got to be some point to satisfy, because cold raw fact is that we're not equal. Total equality (taken to extreme) would mean we'd be clones of each others and doing exactly same for living [/I]and[I] enjoying (or suffering) it equally. What a boring vision. So use what little power you may have and forget those who are in worse position than you. You know, it's called evolution... :P
...70 years... LOL

#19 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 04:08 PM

OK, let's forget about high-level management for the moment and talk about teaching, then. That's an area in which women should be adequately represented, right? At least for arts subjects and the like. I'll try and give you a concrete example: of the 116 members of our English department, 55 are female, 55 are male (and six have strange names, so I can't for the life of me figure out whether they're male or female, so let's just assume that three of them are male and three are female). Very evenly distributed. A ratio of 1:1. When it comes to professorships, though, out of seventeen English professors only six are female, which means a ratio of 1:1.85. Now that's clearly NOT evenly distributed.

Mind you, I'm not a raving feminist, and I never said I wanted total equality. But fair pay and equal chances of getting a good job, yes. And that's just not the way things are yet.

#20 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 04:27 PM

In Sweden women gets a mentor if they're pursuing a career in a male dominated area. Like in engineering. The girls in my class gets a mentor (male or female) that helps them get a good job when they're done with their studies. I don't like this, since it puts me at a disadvantage solely because I have a *male genital*. It's not like it's my fault there are few women in my future line of work.  :P

#21 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 04:30 PM

Mind you, I'm not a raving feminist, and I never said I wanted total equality. But fair pay and equal chances of getting a good job, yes. And that's just not the way things are yet.
I didn't think you as a raving feminist and yes we agree. And I didn't say you wanted total equality, just meant to comment that some people seem to aim somewhat strange utopia (which in my opinion isn't utopia anymore) and that the progress so far in last century has been good. I believe we mostly agree.

Btw, talking about equality, why don't we have queen-smilie, when we have king-smilie?  :P

Edit: MdaG, excellent example where equalization has gone too far. :P
...70 years... LOL

#22 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 04:35 PM

Juni Ori, on Oct 29 2005, 04:30 PM, said:

Btw, talking about equality, why don't we have queen-smilie, when we have king-smilie?  :P
That IS a queen smiley. You just can't tell, because she's been shaving her head to make the crown fit better. (Which was a bad idea, by the way).:P

#23 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 05:02 PM

Then why is she : king : (remove spaces)? :P
...70 years... LOL

#24 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 05:17 PM

Oh, that's just because nobody in his right mind would buy from a Burger Queen.:P

#25 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 06:05 PM

Well ofcourse there are more men emploeyed when the real woman emancipation started, what 30 years ago, so there are still hardcore shovinist men out there... People in top positions are mostly old geezers :P
I'm just saying that there are unemployed men too, there are weak men too, there are men who care abou their children too, but they don't get benefits...

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#26 Galadrin

Galadrin

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 06:11 PM

Holy Hijack Batman!

Why do wrestlers sound constipated?

Hmmmmmm...

Maybe because of steroid abuse causing the sphincter *down there* to decome too strong, and then with the dehydration and wieght loss cycle required for "the look" it cramps up?  :P  :P  :P  :P

#27 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 06:15 PM

Hmm not all wrestlers use Steroids mind you.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#28 Galadrin

Galadrin

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 06:18 PM

:P That's right, just the ones who want their names on the tickets.

To be fair, I know that some are naturally incredibly strong, but those people are rarely seen in entertainment sports.  The last real monster that ruled the ring was Andre.

#29 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 06:29 PM

As much as I'd agree with ya on that point about the tickets, sorry dude but someone like HHH or John Cena have built their muscles through lots of weight training, and they are main eventers, and someone like Stone Cold Steve Austin who was big back in the late 90's look at him, main eventer and he doesn't have this huge physique.  :P Not with all the beer he drank anyway.

#30 Galadrin

Galadrin

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 06:39 PM

Wait, are you actually argueing that Hunter Hurst Helmsley and John Cena aren't on steroids?!?  Seriously?  WOW.