#16 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:30 PM

very nice :P
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#17 michael_gry

michael_gry

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:37 PM

I actually prefer to draw waterfalls and landscapes and stuff.  I don't need a photograph for those.  I just start scribbling and they all come together somehow.  I did use a reference photo for the hippo, though.  I want to add some background and darken in a few things to make it pop out.  I scanned it a pretty low resolution I guess, because it seems so much smaller than the other picture even though they are about the same size in real life.  I did enjoy the challenge of making a custom work, though.  I never would have thought of a hippo.  They must have some "special" meaning for blood-pigggy :P

#18 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:06 PM

Well, you're much better than me. I don't like drawing from photos, and I can't draw men for some reason (they always look feminine). You make me want to practice, though.
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
doodoodoo!!!

#19 michael_gry

michael_gry

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:09 PM

@Taikara

you know, I went over to abandonia and looked in the forums for your stuff but couldn't navigate worth a hoot.  I googled you and found some interesting stuff on the deviant website.  Is it yours?  the elf with the broach looks somehow familiar.

#20 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:12 PM

*sees an oppurtunity to be a proud boyfried* :P

Tai's Aesthetic Contributions

There's a lot of amazing stuff in there from hand-drawn to digital work.

*proud*

Yo!

#21 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:44 PM

uhh, this is the wrong topic for my art, but please excuse some of it, compared to what you've posted here, it's utter junk, and I'm embarrassed :P
doodoodoo!!!

#22 michael_gry

michael_gry

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:56 PM

you should not be embarrassed by your work.  Anybody who deals with art realizes that purely technical mastery is useless.  A true artist interprets what they see in their own way.  If people wanted a perfect drawing of something then they can take a photograph.  Art conveys a mood or an idea in ways that simple mechanical reproduction can never match.  Anyone who does art for art's sake has my respect and admiration.  I went over every single piece in your post and saw nothing that you should be ashamed of.  All artists are perfectionists.  It is normal for you to wish to strive for more mastery of your techniques.  Remember, professional artists do it for a living.  They have vast amounts more practice, doing it every day.  We, too can become as proficient as they are if we so choose to persue the field.

#23 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:18 AM

Holy... :P I'm thinking that "N00b-a-R00b" is a little wrong title for Michael! May I suggest changing it to "Michelangelo"? ;)

*takes handcuffs and locks Michael to AR-forums!!!* OMG
...70 years... LOL

#24 michael_gry

michael_gry

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:00 AM

well, something is stopping me from posting another pic on the site. I finished the hippo pic.  Oh, well.  interesting challenge, though BP, Thanx.

#25 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:35 PM

What do you mean? Do you get an error message?

Yo!

#26 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:57 PM

Sorry for butting in, but wow, I just noticed this thread. OMG
You're brilliant (but you propably know that by now) :P

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

#27 michael_gry

michael_gry

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:45 PM

I get a blank screen when I "add attachment".   I am not doing anything different than I did before.  poot! :P

BTW, thanx doubler

Attached File  hippo.jpg   32.93K   154 downloadsAttached File  my_hippo.gif   93.05K   168 downloads

OK.  I turned it into a much much smaller GIF.  I put the original photo with it, too.

#28 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:32 PM

That's so incredibly good OMG

Yours look better than the original, I think. The eyes on your hippo seem more playful, and so does its smile.

The hippo in the photograph seems to go "yawn..." while the hippo in your drawing seems to have a huge grin and go "wheeee".

And the frame you made just puts the icing on the cake. It brings depth to the scene, and thus brings the hippo even more to life.

Masterful! :P

Yo!

#29 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:23 PM

Michael, that is amazing.   :P

Your hippos is so realistic.  It seems like he is having a good time.  

Excellent.  

OMG
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#30 michael_gry

michael_gry

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:36 PM

gimme some ideas.  I have time until my family gets here, and it gets pretty boring at night.  I can only watch so much TV til my brain gets mushy.  I don't have a portfolio anyway so I might as well get moving on something a little challenging.  Just remember, I do my stuff with a pen.