Miracle Drug

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Miracle Drug

Would you use such a drug?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Docktor_Worm

Docktor_Worm

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:41 PM

Here's one of those dumb hypothetical situations that's been stuck in my head lately. What if someone invented a substance, a drug if you will, that simply made you happier? I guess it'd like any other drug, but with no side-effects or any of that unpleasantness associated with narcotics. Would people accept it and the obvious advantages concurred, or would they reject it for interfering their perception of reality?
IPB Image
...her rabid glow is like braille to the night

#2 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2784 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:52 PM

I would reject it for personal use. If people wanted it, let them have their fun - but the day I need a tablet to make me feel happy, is going to be the most depressing day in my life.

Yo!

#3 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:56 PM

No drugs for me.

Sadness/misery is part of what makes us grow as people.

How would you learn that a fire will burn you if you can't feel it? You could see the damage, maybe smell it, but it's not the same as actually feeling it.

Sadness is just our mind's way of telling us that we need to stay out of the emotional fire. It's the early-warning system to even worse pain :)

Unless we just ignore it and don't get out of the fire, then it just gets worse.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#4 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:56 PM

Have you read Brave New World recently? Cause that's totally from that book.
I would probably use it in a same manner I use alcohol today, on special occasions, I would not make myself addicted to it.

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#5 Havell

Havell

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:00 PM

Yeah, special occasions only.  Even if such a drug wouldn't cause any physical dependance to form, a users life would inevitably come to revolve around it as their main source of happiness (look at any person's life, aside from work, their life will centre upon their main source of enjoyment).
IPB Image

#6 Docktor_Worm

Docktor_Worm

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:28 PM

I guess the bluntly, this thread is about " if you're happy, does anything else matter" who lives a better life, a happy man who accomplished nothing or the opposite
IPB Image
...her rabid glow is like braille to the night

#7 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:53 PM

Nah no drugs for me either, it can be tempting at times in our lives to really wish for such a product, but sometimes its that pain and sorrow that we have to experience that just makes us grow and become stronger people. If there was a product like this, that could just make you escape the hardships of life, then you would never grow, you would just be taking the easy way out.

Definitely think there are times when it can be overwhelming but still sometimes best to deal with it in your own way, rather than turn to a drug like that.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#8 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:10 AM

Definately not.

We need the bad stuff as well as the good stuff.  How can we appreciate the pleasures of life, if we don't have bad times to compare it to?   :)
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#9 Japofran

Japofran

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:24 AM

And the "Sounds Most like a Spambot Ad Thread" goes to... :)

Me neither. It's not that bad experiences make you learn, although that may be another way of saying it.

View PostDocktor_Worm, on Feb 19 2007, 08:28 PM, said:

I guess the bluntly, this thread is about " if you're happy, does anything else matter" who lives a better life, a happy man who accomplished nothing or the opposite
Exactly. Let's put it this way: it's a known fact repeated by intellectuals of all ages that intelligence/wisdom doesn't bring happiness, even the contrary sometimes. Take an intelligent and miserable person and propose him to get lobotomized. Maybe you won't find it difficult to convince him that it would make him happier --although I guess intelligent people needn't be miserable, but an idiot can be made happy with trivialities and the former needs something more transcendent. But even if he's convinced that he'd be happier, he won't consent.

Such a drug --just like any other-- would turn you into a mere lump of meat, you'd be as happy as if a mild electric current was injected into the appropriate region of your brain. You wouln't be living as a human being any longer.
..oO Mustached Crusader of the PEEKOCKSWOOZZLE Order Oo..
"STFU and show me your screenies!!"

#10 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:10 AM

Japo :)

But to the question, I'm sure many people, if not most, would use it. Personally no, I wouldn't, I live from misery. ;)
...70 years... LOL

#11 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:24 PM

Well yes... of course I would.

#12 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 12:43 AM

I'd rather not, if I'm not happy enough to natrually feel happy I don't want a pill to solve my problems!
Me>You

#13 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:22 AM

View PostJapofran, on Feb 20 2007, 03:24 AM, said:

Exactly. Let's put it this way: it's a known fact repeated by intellectuals of all ages that intelligence/wisdom doesn't bring happiness, even the contrary sometimes. Take an intelligent and miserable person and propose him to get lobotomized. Maybe you won't find it difficult to convince him that it would make him happier --although I guess intelligent people needn't be miserable, but an idiot can be made happy with trivialities and the former needs something more transcendent. But even if he's convinced that he'd be happier, he won't consent.
Ever read Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes? It's a great exploration of that idea (well, the reverse in fact).
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#14 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:51 AM

but with no side-effects or any of that unpleasantness associated with narcotics.
The answer to this question is completely irrevelant because such a thing cannot exist.

Even the best "drug" which can even come close to what you are describing have side effects. The name is "love", and the "side effects" is your wife/husband, a baby and ultimately a family.

Either you think of those "side effects" as good or bad is also irrevelant. The point is, it can be either a good or a bad effect depending on the point of view of different people... Which mean that there will never be a concensus, which then lead back to the idea that such an utopian drug with no side effects simply can't exist...

I hope I'm not blowing the bubble of anybody around here... :)
"I am on a hot streak... Literally"

#15 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 03:37 PM

Might I interject that love doesn't automatically lead to marriage or families. Sometimes it has no negative side effects :)
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.