73 replies to this topic

#31 RyGuy

RyGuy

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:57 AM

I don't know, I think most of what I thought about was tied up in this. Although it didn't seem on par with the others.
IPB Image

#32 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:08 AM

It was tied up no doubt, the issue though is whether it could stand on its own. Which really if ya think about, in order to get the best enjoyment from the game, you will have to play the earlier games, to get the real understanding of it. Keep in mind though, since it was fans of the series who were clamouring for this game, a lot. :) So its probably understandable that the game has a touch of fan only bias to it.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#33 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:04 AM

For those who may not be aware, Yahtzee also released a series of three small text adventures as sort of a "promo" prior to the release of this game, called "Countdown." (Parts 1, 2, and 3 - respectively named "Soul", "Body", and "Mind")

They're pretty cool, but as I said, very short. I've added them as extras on the game's review page, so you can download them there or at Fully Ramblomatic.

They require a ZMachine interpreter such as WinFrotz to play, so download one if you don't have one.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#34 Japofran

Japofran

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 01:43 PM

It's a good point that it's not necessarily a bad thing that this game doesn't stand on its own, maybe DD is right about that. Besides even if one hasn't played yet the previous instalments of the saga, there's just no reason why he wouldn't be willing to play them but would be so to play 6DAS --well except for TN in case of give-me-point-'n-click-or-give-me-death people--, all instalments are equally free and it would always be better to start the saga by its starting point.

However for me this game had other problems as I said. It's a good adventure compared to others, only inferior to the rest of the saga in my opinion.
..oO Mustached Crusader of the PEEKOCKSWOOZZLE Order Oo..
"STFU and show me your screenies!!"

#35 RyGuy

RyGuy

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:03 PM

View PostDeathDude, on Mar 1 2007, 10:08 PM, said:

It was tied up no doubt, the issue though is whether it could stand on its own. Which really if ya think about, in order to get the best enjoyment from the game, you will have to play the earlier games, to get the real understanding of it. Keep in mind though, since it was fans of the series who were clamouring for this game, a lot. :) So its probably understandable that the game has a touch of fan only bias to it.
I agree, but it would make sense for it to be more of a fan based game. It was the end of the series, it's not like you can jump into the last 10 pages of a book and understand everything. The other games were like separate books so yes, you wouldn't need to "read" the others to understand the one you were "reading." If it were to be it's own story, there would be either A)a lot of repetition or B)more questions. That's what I think anyway.
IPB Image

#36 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:11 PM

It is really more of a fan based game, even with Trilby's notes, there was a degree of having to have played 5 Days, in order to get the best possible enjoyment from the game. It was not necessary though, because it was more detailed think, than in 6 Days, where it was like referencing to events that you would only really understand if you played the pervous games.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#37 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:00 PM

View PostDeathDude, on Mar 2 2007, 05:11 PM, said:

It is really more of a fan based game, even with Trilby's notes, there was a degree of having to have played 5 Days, in order to get the best possible enjoyment from the game. It was not necessary though, because it was more detailed think, than in 6 Days, where it was like referencing to events that you would only really understand if you played the pervous games.
But in a story-driven game(such as this) I see no sense in not playing the previous title(s).

#38 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 07:12 PM

Yeah but for some people they want to play the latest game of a particular series, in most cases there is not always a problem to start figuring out events and such, in this case, it is difficult for a new person to the series to start understanding what is really going on.

#39 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:50 AM

Or some people, upon seeing the game featured on a site like AR, might look at the screenshots and ignore the review (hey, lots of people don't like to read), download it to try it out, and subsequently say, "WTH is this?"
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#40 ScytheKnight

ScytheKnight

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:01 AM

Well I just finished playing this great series.. and wow... just.. WOW!!!!!

Played from 5 Days, then Trilby's Notes, 7 Days and then the finally.. a GREAT twist at the end there... definitely NOT what I was expecting.

I'll admit some scenes where... extremely disturbing... but then it's a highly disturbing tale.

Bravo Yahtzee... Bravo. :)

Also a thought on the actions of Cabadath and why he was trying to prevent the creation of the bridge, I think that he suspected that Chzo planed to replace him with Decabe and so tried to prevent the bridges completion.

As for WHY... I think that it was that Decabe is an entity 100% of the technological world. He knew nothing of magic before 6DAS.

Why do I feel that a new tale is only just beginning...

#41 RyGuy

RyGuy

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 03:18 AM

Could be. Ya' never know....until the next one is released anyway.
IPB Image

#42 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:27 AM

Don't think there will be a next one, Yahtzee has said this is the last one of the series, but who knows maybe down the road.

#43 RyGuy

RyGuy

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:53 AM

Wasn't it said after Trilby's Notes that it was a trilogy? =P
IPB Image

#44 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:00 AM

Yeah. :) But Yahtzee got so much demand from fans to make a last concluding game, that he eventually decided to give in and do it, hence 6 Days A Sacrifice.

#45 Japofran

Japofran

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:41 PM

I presumed TN was intended to have a sequel from the beginning, what with the ending sequence, the one featuring the Prince and the Puppet.
..oO Mustached Crusader of the PEEKOCKSWOOZZLE Order Oo..
"STFU and show me your screenies!!"

Reply to this topic