36 replies to this topic

#1 Sinke

Sinke

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:09 AM

Got it a year ago, and there wasn't a week I didn't play it in my dosbox!
One can always get mocked for being polite.

#2 Docktor_Worm

Docktor_Worm

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:05 PM

I love this game!
Even after all these years, it doesn't feel outdated, thanks to the vibrant 2D animation and the incredible depth, plus it works on Xp after all these years
But even that couldn't save the incredibly slow tactical combat,
still, that's only a minor blemish on a great game
BTW, DON'T BUY THE THIRD GAME!!!
IPB Image
...her rabid glow is like braille to the night

#3 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:07 PM

i played this for years and stopped once i finanly noticed it has some very big balancing problems. still a great game (for single player at least) though

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#4 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:43 PM

Did it even have mp? Anyways, otherwise excellent, but as Daka mentioned, little unbalanced!
...70 years... LOL

#5 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:50 PM

yeah it did.. and it was fun. but the game is more than a little unbalanced (believe me youll notice when you play in MP.. no i didnt always lose :) its just that starting position and selected traits have way to big of an impact on gameplay)

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#6 Sinke

Sinke

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:58 PM

Yes, I know the problem with unbalanced races- but they were somewhat corrected in patch 1.31. The community of this game still exists, they are playing over the net.  

Master of Orion 3- I will be honest, I couldn't get it. Not that I tried too much, but it is not even half as great as MOO2.

My version of MOO2 couldn't be played in WINXP, but Dosbox provided fantastic emulation.

The MOO2 is still in stores ( that 5$ software, I think ). It is worth every cent.

#7 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:06 AM

Yesterday I saw MOO2 in low-price game section in my local game store and checked out the price: 16 euros!!!
...70 years... LOL

#8 Aristharus

Aristharus

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:26 AM

View PostSinke, on Jun 19 2006, 08:58 PM, said:

Master of Orion 3- I will be honest, I couldn't get it. Not that I tried too much, but it is not even half as great as MOO2.
You're being too kind for the game. You probably did get it, MOO3 just sucked big time. I've never regretted paying for a game as much as with MOO3.

MOO2 is a great game. No, MOO1 is a great game, MOO2 is even better. MOO3 was fun for the 15 minutes you were able to lie to yourself that it must be a good game as it is Master of Orion after all.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?

#9 Sinke

Sinke

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:47 AM

16 Euros? Well, it's kind of expensive for a game of that age, but since it is a classic, and with many players online looking for a multuplayer over Kali- I'd buy it for that price. I mean, the other day I've seen Daikatana as budget for 15 Euros and I'd rather rent MOO2 then get Daikatana.

As for MOO3, I have it on my drive. It is quite different from it's previous sequels. It reminds me of X-COM situation when the Apocalypse got out. Probably during the years people will start to like it more, but at the time being it is dazzling.

#10 Stroggy

Stroggy

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:52 PM

MOO3 is one of the first games I got for my own computer. Of coarse back then I didn't really understand the game... perhaps I should try it again.

#11 Docktor_Worm

Docktor_Worm

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:00 PM

It seems like the computer plays MOO3 for you. The game's basically "Microsoft Excel in Space", but micromanaging stuff make no real difference. I found it hard to understand the state of my empire because there was no real colony view like in MOO2, and because the computer made colonies on it's own. Basically a game  of MOO3 involves randomly adjusting sliders, then pushing "end turn" until something cool happens. Sorry to blow the ending, but nothing good EVER happens.
IPB Image
...her rabid glow is like braille to the night

#12 Sinke

Sinke

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:05 AM

I guess nobody can endure the pressure of sequel to great game. Every time I run UFO ENEMY UNKNOWN I find it difficult to understand how they went on with things like X-COM INTERCEPTOR, or how TURRICAN is left to freeware experts.

#13 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:16 PM

moo3 could have been a good game.. it was way to buggy though.. there is a german fan patch that makes it completly playable :)

Posted Image

#14 Sinke

Sinke

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:46 PM

Aristharus killed my enthusiasm. No buy, filthy Gnolam!

#15 Aristharus

Aristharus

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:06 AM

Man, I feel influential now... Fear me.

But a little more on topic: Docktor Worm had good points on MOO3. It's been very long since I played it, but that's exactly how I remember the game.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?

Reply to this topic