MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 09:47 AM

Some questions
  • How do I keep track of quests?
  • What does danger level mean? For instance, level 30? Does that mean that I have to be at least lvl 30 to survive it?
  • How do I know what scrolls and staffs and such do?
  • Is there a way to get static dungeons? I'm not that fond of that randomizing every time I use a stair.
  • What's required to be able to haggle?

#17 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2953 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 10:14 AM

If it's the same as Angband, then:
    * Ctrl-Q
    * The equivalent dungeon level of the quest, or at least what the quest creator reckons it is - you should be able to go several levles deeper into the dungeon than that to do it.
    * Identify them - to get your first few flavours worked out, just flog them in a store (losing some money but you don't have a lot of choice) then start visiting guilds that will ID all your stuff.
    * Doubt you can do this in Angband variants.
    * No idea - in Angband it's set in the options but it may be a character thing in ToME

[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#18 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 12:15 PM

So far the only way I've survived long enough to actually level up is by being a big dumb troll... ToME is in my opinion much harder than Zangband. If I play a half-elf warrior I can't even kill a bat or snake. As I said earlier, I'm looking forward for your review... I'm gonna take a break now and return to Myst for a while...  :)

#19 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 12:23 PM

you can set static dungeons as an option (its experimental though)
you can also set the haggle option to on... ebnter the options by using "=" (you really should use my pref file)

and if your not killing bats and snakes your forgeting to use the tactics setting... believe me they are EASY :)

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#20 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 12:45 PM

My tactics were se to "aggressive" when I attacked the snake... I'm not sure your pref-file is platform independant. Remember; I compiled ToME from source on my Gentoo system.

#21 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 01:05 PM

hmm... i really dont know then... if you dont hit the snake with aggressive then put it on furious... and yeah your prob right about the pref file. (make sure you sdet the options though..  the default isnt that great...no line of sight and all that)

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#22 MrBackAlleySka

MrBackAlleySka

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 05:12 PM

You guys know there's an online version of this game, right. T.o.M.E.Net? Its just like this one, but MMORPG! Well..maybe not MM...cuse there's only like, around 10 or so people on at once...but still fun!@

#23 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 05:29 PM

yeah but its real time  :)

it is cool but its unplayable for me

Posted Image

#24 MrBackAlleySka

MrBackAlleySka

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 06:12 PM

ick, I just played it and yeh,  :)  too few people, some stuff dosent work yet,  if you quit in a dungeon and come back, the randomly generated thing keeps your static (and now IN a wall) position, and I hate chasing down running monsters with this real-time thing. Intresting, but it's fallen into that "multiplayer game that no one plays" pit.

#25 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 01:21 PM

ok im writing my review right now. one thing i remebred are the NEATO classes.... try a possesor or a symbiot or something... really cool (although hard to play)

Posted Image

#26 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 09:10 PM

Went back to ASCII, it's cooler that way. Still hard though...

#27 MrBackAlleySka

MrBackAlleySka

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 09:26 PM

Im leaning toward newer tiles, with big tiles mode. Making the font bigger to fill more of my screen, the ASCII looks all spacey, and the forests are just solid green areas. Icky in my taste. If there was a way to replace the solid blocks for trees and roofs and stuff, with other things like # or T , then i'd do it, but eh, ahh well ^^

#28 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 07:10 AM

There's something creepy about being chased by four purple "P"'s down a corridor of white "#"'s...

*edit*
There's a princess trapped behind a glass wall. I want to release (or kill) her. How do I get through the glass wall? Also sometimes I get attacked by something I can't see. It just says "it hit you", "you missed it". Is that just an invisible enemy?

*edit*
Nevermind. I realized I just hadn't killed enough invisible things... Is recall the fastest way to return to town? Backtracking is a pain when dungeons are randomized all the time ... :)

#29 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 01:08 PM

@ska
yeah same here. the blocks scared me off too.

@mdag
yes they are invisible and you release the princess by killing all of the monsters that she says are getting on her nerves... ctrl - q will tell what they are and how many are left.

yeah recall is the fastest way... and when in the town you use it again then ittl take you back to the same dungeon level

Posted Image

#30 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 01:14 PM

I don't have any solid blocks for trees, I've got green "#"... I works great. I just entered a room flooded with white "I"... damn I've been waving around for thousands of turns with my broadsword, but they keep coming back. Are they breeding?!?!?!?!? (I=giant white louse)

Reply to this topic