294 replies to this topic

#1 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 03:46 PM

I was debating whether to put this in Favourite Games, but decided that it was probably better to go with 3xblah.

Anyway, werewolf is a little game that can be played on a forum. We should be at least 6 people, but more is better. One person mods the game (I'll do that for the first game, assuming enough people are interested). The rest are secretly assigned roles; at least one werewolf (maybe more, depending on how many sign up), one seer, and the rest are regular villagers. These roles are assigned secretly, via PM, at the beginning of the game, by the mod.

The play is divided into turns, which alternate between night and day turns. Each night, each werewolf gets to kill one villager, and the deads will be announced at the beginning of the next turn (Edit: this was a mistake on my part. Each night the werewolves agree on a villager to kill and that villager's death will be announced the next morning. Otherwise, the game will end too soon, and the werewolves will almost certainly win). Also, the seer gets to ask the mod about the true identity of one villager that he picks. After that, the night turn ends. Note that on the first night turn, the werewolves don't get to kill anyone, but will learn the identity of the other werewolves (the seer will still get to ask about the true identity of one player, though).

At the beginning of the day turn, it will be announced who was killed during the night. After that, gameplay is entirely up to the players. They must decide who they think is the werewolf, and lynch that person. It requires a majority vote by the players to lynch another player. As soon as that majority vote is obtained, the player will be lynched (regardless of whether all players have actually voted). Of course, anyone can say whatever they want to during this phase. You're allowed to lie all you want and do whatever else it takes to shift the blame to someone else. When a player has been lynched, it will be announced whether he was a werewolf or not, and the day will end.

When you're dead, you're out of the game. It's sad, but that's the way it is.

The gameplay continues this way untill all the werewolves are dead, or there is an equal amount of werewolves and humans left. If the former happens, the humans will win, and if the latter happens, the werewolves will win. Pretty straight forward, huh? :tai:

Anyway, I found this bit of text on the net, which explains the gameplay pretty well:

The villagers are trying to figure out who's a werewolf; the werewolves are pretending to be villagers, and trying to throw suspicion on real villagers.
The seer is trying to throw suspicion on any werewolves he discovers, but without revealing himself to be the seer (because if he does, the werewolves will almost certainly kill him that night, since he's the greatest threat to werewolf national security.) Of course the seer can reveal himself at any time, if he thinks it's worthwhile to tell the other players what he's learned. Also of course, a werewolf can claim to be the seer and "reveal" anything he wants.

The only information the villagers have is what other players say -- and who dies. Accusing someone of being a werewolf is suspicious. Not accusing anyone is also suspicious. Agreeing with another player a lot is suspicious, and therefore so is pretending not to agree with another player. Never voting to kill a particular player is very suspicious for both of them -- unless it's the seer who knows that player is innocent.

So does anyone want to play? I should tell you that I've only played it a couple of times myself, and have never moderated a game before, but I'm sure we'll do alright. :unsure:

Incidentally, there are many versions of this game floating around, with extra characters and so on, but this is just the plain, bare vanilla version. I thought that'd be a good place to start. If people enjoy the game, we can always try a more advanced version later.

I was thinking that we'd play one day turn each day (which means that the players will have one day to decide who to lynch), but if you guys prefer we can play a day turn every other day.

So I ask again: who wants to play? :bleh:

Edit: I forgot to mention that this game really benefits from a bit of roleplaying. By that I mean that it's a lot more fun if the players pick a profession or such for their character, and write their posts in character. OMG
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

#2 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 03:58 PM

Count me in. And I can easily generate background to my char.
...70 years... LOL

#3 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:17 PM

Ooh sounds very interesting, count me in to.  :tai:

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#4 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:18 PM

Great guys! I suspect we'll be enough for a game soon. :tai:

#5 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:21 PM

ill play...

but this isnt the vanilla version its the specked down version.

this is a "board" game that won alot of awards and usually there ARE a couple more types of players

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#6 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:22 PM

It's probably best to start simplified and boarden the game later on in new games. Or so I believe.
...70 years... LOL

#7 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:23 PM

Count me in as well :tai:

Yo!

#8 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:24 PM

yeah sure :tai:

a friend bought the game and it is used to promote (or destroy :unsure:) social skills... seeing through peoples lies and such

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#9 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:26 PM

Great, that means we're five. We only need one more, but don't hold back people. We can easily be as many as 20 players if need be, so go ahead and sign up. :tai:

@Daka: Admittedly, I've never tried the cardgame, although I knew it was based on a cardgame. However, as Juni said, it's a good idea to keep the rules to a minimum in the first game. We can always introduce more later on (I believe there's a The Thing variant out there :unsure:).

#10 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:29 PM

ive never played it either. thats why im waiting for this game. plus nothing can go wrong over the net because of PM's and such.

only disadvantage is that you cant actually see peoples face and listen to them talk :tai:

Posted Image

#11 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:33 PM

Well, that's true, but I don't believe it'll ruin the game.
...70 years... LOL

#12 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:36 PM

Well, as I said, I haven't tried the cardgame, but I've tried it online a few times before, and it's usually great fun. While you can't see the other players (which, I assume, makes it harder to determine who's lying), the roleplaying element adds some fun, which I think you wouldn't get in the cardgame. It's almost like writing a small novel, collaboratively. :tai:

#13 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:40 PM

yeah i was gonna say that. i think it will be just as much fun, just different.

is it possible to change a poll thread after its been posted? we could use a poll thread for the lynching if it can be changed. The game thread with a changing poll each morning

Posted Image

#14 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:43 PM

I set up a live-action version of this game for my 16th birthday - it was a haunted house/murder mystery sort of deal, only we had the killer and the detective instead of the werewolf and the seer :tai:

I'll play.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#15 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:48 PM

Cool, then we're six and ready to play. I think we should wait untill tomorrow, though, to give everybody a fair chance to sign up. Also, I'd like permission to post the game in a new thread, to keep things tidy, unless you think that'll clutter up the forum too much.

@Daka: The poll idea isn't bad, but I was thinking that discussion in the game is rather important, and thus it should be allowed to change your vote, which I don't think a poll allows. Also, I think that a majority vote shouldn't be final untill the mod actually sees it (thus ending the turn), which should give a condemned player a last chance to defend himself.