• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:48 PM

From Variety.com:

Inside Move: 'Futurama' may get new lease on life
Toon with a past may get new life on Fox TV

By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

"Futurama" may live to see the year 3000 after all.

Talks have begun at 20th Century Fox TV to revive the animated series, which takes place in the next millennium, much in the same way "Family Guy""Family Guy" found new life after cancellation.

The studio is in early discussions to put "Futurama" back in production and create a limited number of episodes of the Emmy Award-winning series-- although it's too soon to tell where those segs might end up. A reprep for 20th Century Fox TV declined comment.

The final original episode of "Futurama" aired on Fox in August 2003. But since then, the series has found new life -- and fans -- via DVD releases and repeatedly high-rated airings on the Cartoon Network.

"Futurama" remains popular enough that Comedy Central even stole away off-netoff-net rights to the show's repeats late last year; it will switch to the laffer cabler in 2008.

A similar resurgence in interest for "Family Guy" persuaded 20th Century Fox TV to revive that show, which has produced two seasons of new episodes and a DVD since coming back from the dead. "Family Guy" now resides as Fox's Sunday 9 p.m. tentpole.

"Futurama" scored three Emmys in its five-season run, including the 2002 award for animated series. But it lived an unusual existence on Fox, with short seasons, late launches and long gaps between airings. That allowed Fox to air five seasons of "Futurama," even though technically only four were produced.

"The Simpsons" creator Matt Groening and "Simpsons" vet David X. Cohen were behind "Futurama," which bowed on Fox in March 1999. The animated series revolved around Fry, a pizza delivery boy who's accidentally frozen for 1,000 years. He wakes up in the year 3000 and befriends cyclops Leela and cranky robot Bender -- all of whom work for the intergalactic delivery service run by Fry's distantly descended nephew, Prof. Farnsworth.

Before "Futurama" comes back into being, however, 20th first must secure deals with the show's production team, as well as voice stars including Billy West (Fry), Katey Sagal (Leela) and John DiMaggio (Bender).

Meanwhile, even after the cancellation new "Futurama" stories have continued to be churned out via the "Futurama" comicbook, published by Groening's Bongo Comics imprint.
--
Victory is ours! :max: Futurama is easily one of my favorite shows ever. Would be absolutely fantastic to get it back!

#2 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:51 PM

AWESOME! :max:

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#3 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:12 PM

This is wicked if it does happen I will be most joyful. :max:

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#4 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2953 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:15 PM

Maybe someone pointed out to Fox that airing an adult-focused show at 6 on Sunday after moving it all over the schedules before it gets an audience isn't the best way to generate ratings...
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#5 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:07 AM

This is good news indeed. I'll be a bit careful about getting my hopes up though.

"Wave after wave of my men are at your disposal. Right men?"

".........YOU SUCK!!!" :max:
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

#6 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 01:42 PM

She's built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro.
She's out of control! You win again, gravity!
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

#7 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 01:47 PM

"This is the worst part. The calm before the battle."

"And then the battle's not so bad?"

"Oh, that's right. I forgot about the battle."

---------------------------------------------------

"kif! I've made it with a woman! inform the men."

Ah, I love this show, it's the best tv show EVER! I could go on quoting it all day. :max:
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

#8 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 01:51 PM

Well I have to admit it is one of the best animations out there, but I've never became addicted to it. Easy to watch and enjoyable, but not as addictive as few other series. :max:
...70 years... LOL

#9 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 03:26 PM

"That's not nearly loyal enough! I order you to sit around in your underpants and drink beer until you're twice as loyal as that."
"Sir, may I have a beer?"
"No, you're loyal enough already."

Neutral Planet Leader: "If I don't make it out alive, tell my wife 'Hello'."
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)

#10 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:10 PM

Shame I don't have Fox.

I haven't seen all of Futurama but I've seen enough to say it's an enjoyable show at the least.
Me>You

#11 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:21 PM

Ahhh I can't wait for futurama to return, it does show that you can fight the power! Now if there was a chance to get firefly back.. ...:max:

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#12 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 03:56 PM

DeathDude, on Jan 5 2006, 05:21 PM, said:

Now if there was a chance to get firefly back.. ...:max:
And Angel   :huh:
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#13 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 03:58 PM

I've never watched Firefly, I liked Buffy and have quite a few series' on DVD. Angel I have season1 which was quite good, haven't seen anything other than that though.
Me>You

#14 Dvoe

Dvoe

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:27 PM

Sean, on Jan 6 2006, 03:58 PM, said:

Angel I have season1 which was quite good, haven't seen anything other than that though.
Angel Season 2 through 5 are absolutely fantastic. Pick them up when you get the chance.

#15 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:38 PM

I'll look into it, E-Bay maybe!
Me>You

Back to Community Contests, Games, and Role Playing