47 replies to this topic

#1 Kon-Tiki

Kon-Tiki

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 08:17 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review + download

#2 MrBackAlleySka

MrBackAlleySka

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 10:09 PM

Woohoo!  :)  My favorite roguelike, if not favorite freeware game of all time. (I'd say favorite PC game, but those are the Spiderweb Software shareware games) Wonderful review too. Excellent excellent. I must thank the requests section for blessing me with this gem, and now everyone can be blessed with it ^^

As far as the random number generator, I think it's excellent. You have chances to recieve random powerful stuff, right at the beginning. However you also have a change of meeting a really powerful monster at the beginning...Not often at all though. It's almost as if the RNG (Random number generator) has a personality, almost as if it were a God in the game. anytime you get some really cool item, you have to think "Oh dammn...now the RNG is gonna make me pay for this." and that paranoid thought of "is there gonna be something uber powerful in the next room, or should I recall back to town now...." that makes the game almost have a lonely fear mood to it.

DakaSha, thank you for introducing me to this gem, your love for roguelikes does me proud. May the @ shine down upon you.

#3 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 12:46 AM

Thats a way of looking at it your right(RNG). It can make the game more suspenseful.

the reason its noted as a negative point though is because as far as i know its wasnt intended. its just not good. you start noticing it when you always find 3 of the same item on a dungeon level or when a spell with a 50% fail rate doesnt work after 10 trys.

overall GREAT game though

(and thanks for the little praise there. same to you. we RL players have to stick together :) ;) )

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#4 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 08:28 AM

Nice one Daka.

#5 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 11:29 AM

hmm i did make a mistake though...

"You can see known uniques and their dead/alive status by pressing "ctrl-q" then pressing the corresponding number from the menu that pops up."

its actually not "ctrl-q" but "~".. no idea why i mixed them 2 up ;)

itd be cool if somebody changed it   :)

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#6 Kon-Tiki

Kon-Tiki

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 11:44 AM

Fixed :)

#7 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 07:04 PM

My only gripes with this game is the trees and mountains used instead of walls in the dungeons...  :) other than that this game ROCKS!

#8 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 07:35 PM

the only dungeon that is like that are the barrow downs... and besides that the barrow downs isnt a dungeon actually... its supposed to be a forest. but i understand you... it got on my nerves at first too.

check out the screenshots... youll see some other dungeon types

Posted Image

#9 Kon-Tiki

Kon-Tiki

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 07:36 PM

Does anybody know how to get the Isometric mod working on this game (or how to get it at all?)

#10 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 07:40 PM

never heard about it...

Posted Image

#11 Kon-Tiki

Kon-Tiki

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 07:42 PM

Second link from the top. That site itself has it mentioned under Downloads (as far as I could find), but doesn't feature the download, and only seems to link to an old Sourceforge page of an old version of this game, back when it was called Pangband or something like that.

#12 Svlad

Svlad

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:18 AM

That's eerie.

I decide to pick this game up and try it again, and it appears on here.

It's still got the 'the silly Angband variant' thing going, I see.  Nothing like hitting level 5 from your first monster kill to remind you of that.. :)

#13 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 05:41 AM

Kon-Tiki, on Sep 18 2005, 07:42 PM, said:

Second link from the top. That site itself has it mentioned under Downloads (as far as I could find), but doesn't feature the download, and only seems to link to an old Sourceforge page of an old version of this game, back when it was called Pangband or something like that.
"Currently this is just a demonstration that the concept works. I need help with the images for the dungeon, monsters, items and all the stuff. Many things are still missing. If anyone is willing to help with the images, please contact me at hansjoerg.malthaner@gmx.de by email. Any suggestions, ideas and critics are welcome, too.

A demo of this for Linux/X11 on Intel processors (and compatibles), is available in the downloads section. But this is still an alpha version and just some very experimental stuff. "

Posted Image

#14 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 07:52 AM

My GOD the ASCII tiles in the windows version are UGLY!
Since I'm planning on using a Windows system in the near future, does anyone know if the Linux version of the ASCII-tiles are downloadable as a mod or similar?  ;)

*edit*
Found a solution. Press "%" and you can edit the tiles yourself. The defaults really is the ones in Linux, but the Windows version has them changed to ugly blocks  :) . Anyway just keep hitting "d" and it'll set em straight.

That is:
1. Press "%"
2. Press "8"
3. Alternate between "d" and "n" until you've gone through them all.

Remember to save the setup since the game will revert back when you quit (at least mine did).

#15 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 11:30 AM

dang mdag your right!

i knew about the option but never thought of using it for the ascii graphics...
well thanks  :)

Posted Image

Reply to this topic