MdaG's Roguelike

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

Poll: Which setting for a new roguelike game?

Which setting for a new roguelike game?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:14 PM

Project site (remember to reload website if it's still cached in the browser. Otherwise you might not see updates. The webpage also looks like crap in IE, use Firefox)

I've been playing ADOM for a couple of months now and I have to confess that I'm hooked. I can't remember being this hooked to a RPG since Fallout 1 & 2. Recently some events spurred my interest into writing my own roguelike game, but I haven't decided on the setting yet. That's where you come in, I'd like some opinions and tips if you have any. I'm thinking about writing it in Java due to the portability, but I might consider C++ as well if someone can give me a good reason not to write in Java. I'm currently brainstorming about everything from a project site to future quests. My vision is a game more epic than traditional roguelikes, feature sound and maybe even music. I hope this poll will help me decide a setting for the game, while I write a GUI and other necessary standard parts. I'm not sure where this project will go or if I'm ever going to finish it, since time is scarce and other obligations keeps distracting me. Hopefully I'll have something along a playable version 0.1 ready by the end of summer. So far I'm calling the game "Journey". It's just something that will have to do until I come up with something better or know where I want to take this.

*edit*
I've hanged the project name to "Roguelike" until I figure out a setting and plot.

#2 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:29 PM

id write it in c++... mainly because its so much faster :angel:
but i guess not everybody has a crappy old pc huh? :)

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#3 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:40 PM

Hmm Java would be nice, but C++ would also be a good way to go in this case too.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#4 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:08 PM

i voted other because what you really should do is create your own unique world... its more difficult but first off its more fun to create and second its more fun to play. even if you just mix commen worlds... sci fi and fantasy and so on itll probably end up being your own world

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#5 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:37 PM

DakaSha, on Jan 24 2006, 10:08 PM, said:

i voted other because what you really should do is create your own unique world... its more difficult but first off its more fun to create and second its more fun to play. even if you just mix commen worlds... sci fi and fantasy and so on itll probably end up being your own world
I wasn't planning on ripping an entire world (except if it becomes a Star wars game), rather I was planning on using a setting. Fantasy for example can be a lot of different worlds (Middle earth, Avalon, Pern, Shannara etc.), but they all share similar characteristics. I think it'll be hard not to stumble into a setting already invented. See the options as a concept, not a whole world. :)

#6 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:41 PM

id really go for a starwars setting.. the universe is so open ended that it would make a great RL :)

Posted Image

#7 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:56 PM

DakaSha, on Jan 24 2006, 10:41 PM, said:

id really go for a starwars setting.. the universe is so open ended that it would make a great RL :angel:
Then why didn't you vote on Star Wars?  :)

#8 Umber

Umber

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:58 PM

I voted other because I was thinking about roguelike settings myself before and got an idea about one: an underground world and civilization. There can be many reasons to that, ranging from realistic (uninhabitable surface) to mystic (civilization don't know anything about The Surface but have traits distinguishing them from the rest of the underground dwellers which proves that their ancestors have lived on The Surface). That would allow to create dynamic world with cities, mines and underground farms formating and disappearing (like in old Pirates!) and also interacting between each other. I'll try to write more about it later. What do you think? (Myself I started to think that this idea is a bit exaggerated, but I want to hear your opinions).

#9 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:09 PM

MdaG, on Jan 24 2006, 08:56 PM, said:

DakaSha, on Jan 24 2006, 10:41 PM, said:

id really go for a starwars setting.. the universe is so open ended that it would make a great RL :angel:
Then why didn't you vote on Star Wars?  :)
well id really think a SW RL would be cool but if you ask me what you should do it would be my vote :lol:

i just wanted to say that Sw would be a cool RL setting.... but i would never use the universe because it isnt my own

Posted Image

#10 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:56 AM

I'd use my own fantasy world, because it simply rocks, but as you don't have access to it, I vote other and say Roman Era.
...70 years... LOL

#11 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:01 AM

Juni Ori, on Jan 25 2006, 05:56 AM, said:

I'd use my own fantasy world, because it simply rocks, but as you don't have access to it, I vote other and say Roman Era.
What do you mean, 'don't have access to it'? *drills open Juni's skull*

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#12 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:27 AM

:angel:

Btw, just an crazy idea from crazy amateur historian: What about making World War II roguelike? :)
...70 years... LOL

#13 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:56 AM

Please no. It would have to end up being horribly politically incorrect and it would be bashed by all sides. (Apart from the fact that some of the 'features' would have to be a wee bit tasteless.)

Edit: Corrected a misleading typo.

Edited by A. J. Raffles, 25 January 2006 - 11:40 AM.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#14 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:26 AM

Name a single game taking place in WW2 that is politically accurate??? And I have (big surprise) great ideas to it!
...70 years... LOL

#15 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:28 AM

I was gonna vote medieval, but screwed up and delivered a null vote instead.  :)

But a Roman era game sounds like a very interesting idea too. :angel:

Of course, I've never actually played a roguelike, so I'm not the greatest authority on the subject, but I would generally like to see more historical rpg's (and please keep magic and the like out of it :lol:).
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.