23 replies to this topic

#1 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:10 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others!

Thanks!

Review + download
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#2 Fawfulhasfury

Fawfulhasfury

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:02 PM

Whoa. This game is huge!!! I love it. :) Thanks for this gem.
Pi stinks, tastes horribles, and I hate it! But cake is good...

#3 chickenman

chickenman

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 12:59 PM

Enjoy the game  :)

#4 Nosferrath

Nosferrath

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:58 PM

Excellent game ! 5 out of 5.   :)

#5 Sir Kevin

Sir Kevin

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:10 PM

You won't find a more open-ended game than this!
Been playing this for over a year, and there's still much unexplored territories out there...
I hear that there's an updated version coming out in the near future. Supposed to have an updated graphics engine and everything!
Go on their webpage and check it out, right now!

#6 Guest_SenorOcho_*

Guest_SenorOcho_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2005 - 11:35 PM

Noctis V is currently in the "Yes, its coming out someday, stop bugging me about it!" stage.  Who knows when it might actually be released...  ;)

That said, there's some pretty crazy stuff you can find in this game. I do recommend staying away from the "completely covered by clouds" worlds, and also planets extremely far away from their stars - it's kinda dark there.  :)

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2005 - 04:41 PM

I LOVE this game, and if you want some music, just play the midi that comes with the html help file. THAT is the BEST sounding midi i've ever heard. I can play that music while playing the game for HOURS on end. something about it just gets into your blood and slides the hours away.
I REALLY like taking screenshots of planets and stars. the low-res anti-alies combo create a great is it or isn't  it combanation. the skys the LIMIT! LITERALY! :)

#8 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:15 PM

On the official forums you can find a community version of Nocits IV.
This one contains a lot of new features and fixes.

Ps. the universe doesn't contains out of 1,000,000,000 stars, but only out of 70,000,000,000. :) It is really huge!!

#9 Guest_Megagun_*

Guest_Megagun_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:26 PM

:)

Anyways, the review doesn't mention that there are keyboard shortcuts which you can use while inside the ship ("Stardrifter"). This way, you don't have to look at the screen all the time..

In addition, since Noctis's source code was released a long while ago, and the creator allowed people to distribute their modifications (but with some restrictions), Two people (that's me, and another guy by the nickname of Shadowlord) have started modding Noctis IV..

Named Noctis IV CE (where CE stands for either Community Edition, Coders edition, or something else. You imagine whatever it stands for. ;) Also called NICE), it adds a lot to the standard Noctis IV..

Some stuff worth mentioning:

-New Starmap3, which lets you access the guide from anywhere in the universe
-Jetpack
-No more "invisible walls"! Moving between sectors!
-The sun moves in the sky now..
-Forests
-New creatures
-IRC chat app, which you can use through the ship's console
-Bugfixes (a lot of them)

Bad thing about NICE? Well, for one, it's starmap is NEW. That means, that it's not 100% compatible with regular Noctis IV.. Also, since we found a "bug" in planet surface generation, planet surfaces on Noctis IV and Noctis IV CE aren't the same... Also, a very eery crash-freeze-bug was somewhere introduced, and it's hard to get rid of..

More info at:
http://noctis.sl.ecwhost.com (official site)
http://anywherebb.co....php?f=5&t=1943 (discussion and changelog)
http://anywherebb.co....php?f=5&t=2021 (releases, grab latest NICE here)

Aaand.. That's it.. Note that Noctis IV CE is somewhat HARDER than Noctis IV.. But somewhat easier, too.. With Noctis IV CE... well.. you can somehow get the "Orbiter"-effect: such a crapload of features and information that you're thinking you're either going to die, or that you'd just never master it at all.. ;)

Have fun, though... And never forget that Noctis is all about your imagination.

#10 Guest_TradaPIB_*

Guest_TradaPIB_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:33 AM

Yay for Noctis getting noticed!
If you are reading this and haven't played the game, download it right now.

#11 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:44 AM

Glad to see the game on this site now!
:)

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

#12 Nosferrath

Nosferrath

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 02:20 PM

So .... umm ... when's the next update ?

#13 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 10:33 AM

An alpha of Noctis V might be released this autumn.

From the site:
'Let me say one thing: I'll strive to get a working alpha release of Noctis V (yes, you're reading it well), to be here within next autumn. I rely on summer time and the extra free time I will be getting to complete a reasonably working release.'

Oh, and let's not forget to mention there's a new inbox available :)

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

#14 gregor

gregor

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 08:49 AM

I haven't noticed this one before. but which download link should i use? there is so many of them in the site megagun gave and on the site that download button gives there is no link. or am i blind?  :angel:

Seems like my kind of game. Had a lot of, actually still have, a lot of fun with elite.just with exploring. trying to land on big planets, setting up mine maschines etc.

#15 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:57 AM

gregor, on Apr 12 2006, 08:49 AM, said:

I haven't noticed this one before. but which download link should i use? there is so many of them in the site megagun gave and on the site that download button gives there is no link. or am i blind?  :angel:

Seems like my kind of game. Had a lot of, actually still have, a lot of fun with elite.just with exploring. trying to land on big planets, setting up mine maschines etc.
This one?LOL

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

Reply to this topic