138 replies to this topic

#16 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:50 AM

Okay, I just had to improve it, as it was close to insult. Here's the new version:

Attached Files

...70 years... LOL

#17 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:18 AM

Hmm that looks familiar. :P But looks nice, very nice. :P Both the drawing and the "model."  :P

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#18 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:52 AM

I was somewhat satisfied with that later one when I posted it, but now I'm finding new bad spots every time I watch it. But hey, it was made in less than half an hour and the model's beauty is challenging, if not impossible to capture on paper with pencil.
...70 years... LOL

#19 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 08:48 AM

Hmm, nice, but maybe you should try and vary the thickness of the lines a bit. The chin and the nose for example are a bit too marked (and I suspect that's also what causes that smirk on her face.:P ). The shading's not bad, but the eyes look a bit dead if you just fill them with black.
Overall verdict: a good start, but I think you can do better.:P

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#20 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 09:49 AM

Actually I was about to redo the eyes, but then I just lost patience. I'm still on it. That chin looks much better in my drawing than in this picture, wonder why... It must be the shading, that is missing. Nose on the other hand does need some little redoing, thanks for the heads up.
...70 years... LOL

#21 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 10:29 AM

Okay, new try. I redid some parts and did not manage to get the lines much better, but nose looks a bit better anyhow. For some reason I don't get the shading look good in photo, but I like it on paper. Perhaps I need to get that damn camera or scanner some day...

Edit: Superb, I forgot to attach the photo...

Attached Files

Edited by Juni Ori, 07 May 2006 - 10:30 AM.

...70 years... LOL

#22 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 03:05 PM

It's looking really good, Juni. Anyone can see who it is portraying - which is the goal of any portrait :P

The only tip I can give you, is to try to practise a little on lips. You connect the lips at the edges (which is offcourse how it should be), but it makes a mouth look very long when it's drawn.

A nice trick is to make the lower lip as a long U-shape (basically cut off the far left and right - where it would meet the upper lip in the edge). You can also create this by simply shading the edges of the bottom lip more than the front area.

What it does is that it makes the lips more succulent. Just like a woman's lips should be :P

Yo!

#23 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 03:17 PM

I know what you mean and now, after comparing to the model pic I wonder why I didn't do any better job... But one thing I must say: I've never done this large pics with this good result! It's about 20cm high and almost as wide. I used to excel in half of that size pics, never this large, so certain improvement is obvious!
...70 years... LOL

#24 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 03:39 PM

I think it's really good  :P

It's actually really hard to draw glasses well, and I think you did an excellent job.

Yeah, the lips are a bit off, but I have the stupidly huge lower lip to consider :P

Thanks a lot, it's awesome :P
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#25 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 03:43 PM

Actually the glasses too are little twisted... But thanks! Nice to hear that I at least didn't insult you! :P
...70 years... LOL

#26 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 12:29 PM

Okies, finished this in half an hour yesterday... Comments?

Attached Files

...70 years... LOL

#27 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 12:39 PM

Hmm, the eyes are a little too high and the lips look a bit odd. And she seems to have a man's chin.:P
Otherwise it looks fine, though.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#28 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 12:42 PM

Actually her eyes are quite high... I know the lips and cheek failed, but I didn't have time to improve them because I finally had something to do at work! :P
...70 years... LOL

#29 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 01:32 PM

Buy a new camera so I can appreciate this excellence at a high resolution!

She does look a little bit masculine, I think her head is too wide and as AJ mentioned the chin looks a bit blokeish.

Good work! :P
Me>You

#30 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 01:40 PM

Heh, isn't that quite contradictory? First praising, then scolding, then praising!!! :P Thanks, man. :P
...70 years... LOL