16 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2784 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:41 AM

Yesterday Kosta got an angry mail from the ESA (the Entertainment Software Association), where they stated that we had to remove Maniac Mansion Deluxe for reasons of copyright infringement.

We believe that the people over at ESA simply mistook the game for Maniac Mansion by LucasArts, but we have decided to play it safe. Kosta has mailed them back for clarification, but for now we have taken the game off the site. :ok:

Yo!

#2 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:44 AM

I believe Deluxe was remake? I believe the whole thing is human error, but it's best to play safe.
...70 years... LOL

#3 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:50 AM

Well, but then again, they probably never got an official permission from LucasArts to do a remake. Maybe that's what they mean by copyright infringement...:ok:

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#4 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:25 PM

Umm... Could that be? It still isn't commercial.
...70 years... LOL

#5 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:28 PM

I don't think it matters whether it's commercial or not. You'd still need the copyright owner's permission.

#6 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:42 PM

A. J. Raffles, on Apr 23 2006, 12:50 PM, said:

Well, but then again, they probably never got an official permission from LucasArts to do a remake. Maybe that's what they mean by copyright infringement...:ok:
I don't think you can get prosecuted for copyright infrigenemnt if freeware (remake) is in question, but only if money is involved...
Isn't like the whole Linux community based on that?

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#7 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:52 PM

Is that really the same thing, though? I mean, Linux isn't a Windows remake, is it? But supposing Linux looked exactly the same as Windows 3.1, worked exactly the same way as Windows 3.1 and called itself Windows 3.1 Deluxe, you can bet that Microsoft would sue...

#8 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:00 PM

I was more thinking about using elements of others software and then freely distributing it...

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#9 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:04 PM

Well, but as far as I know that isn't the case with Maniac Mansion Deluxe. It's an exact copy (except for one or two details). And you do need permission for that.

#10 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:09 PM

I don't believe it's a copyright infrigenemnt if they've redrawn the characters themselves (not sure though) then it would be trademark infrigenement, and  I think you can use it if you didn't make any profit on it...

(it's sort of like using famous characters in your own free game)

#11 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:13 PM

Perhaps you're right. Well, it's not for us to decide anyway.

#12 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:15 PM

In that case isn't the official site for the remake the people they need to be moaning at? We weren't even hosting it were we?
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#13 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:19 PM

Yes, we were. The creators closed down their site. The reason for why they did that, is still unanswered.

Yo!

#14 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:01 PM

Ah well, taking that into account it's probly a good idea, I think ESA probly screwed up because normally Lucasarts is really friendly towards fan based "games / remakes" but its a good idea just in case.

#15 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:36 PM

Bummerness, yeah a misunderstanding hopefully by the ESA. Good thing Lucasarts is somewhat friendly towards fan creations, although in a way wasn't that why the originial remake site was shut down in the first place?

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,