19 replies to this topic

#16 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:45 PM

I personally feel tattooing and piercing is a valid form of self-expression.

Like anything, there are people who go overboard with it, but that doesn't mean it can't be a positive thing.

Personally, I have 3 tattoos and have had about... 13 piercings.

Of the piercings, 9 are someplace on my ears, one is a labret (below the lip), a bellybutton, and two somewhere else :)

Each of the tattoos has some sort of special meaning to me. I wrote an article about the first one after I got it done. It's not the most... original, but it's very me. It's the kanji "ai," which means love. Philosophical love, not really romantic love. It's important to me to love others, and it has meanings on other levels, too.

The second wasn't all that original either, but it's actually very beautiful. It's a tribal butterfly and band on my lower back. My best friend and I decided to get tattoos for our birthdays (they're really close), and another of our friends did the tattoos. And I just really love butterflies and tribal tattoos.

The third was one I drew myself, and I sort of consider it an abstract representation of my personality.

To me, they're a valid form of art, only using your body as the canvas. I will never regret getting them done, even when I'm old and wrinkly.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#17 Sebatianos

Sebatianos

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:49 PM

That does make a difference.
OK - I can't say that tattoo no. 2 sounds like anything else but a fashion statement (get a tattoo for the birthday...), but that third one - if you even drew it yourself... Then that does represent something and it is probably a part of you - saying something about your personality.

It's not what you actually do - it's why you do it. As long as you didn't do it, because it was popular it's OK. You know why you had them and you can stand behind that decision  :)

#18 Stroggy

Stroggy

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:55 PM

Sebatianos, on May 14 2005, 05:31 PM, said:

But if you see a rebelious suburbian teenager with one - then it's usually just a poor attempt of being the 'though guy'.
I generally dislike these licentious people

#19 Guest_Data_*

Guest_Data_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:57 PM

Well I think it's the inside that counts. So I tend to go for the sulfmutilation.

Artistic expression...... :)
Why make the outside(body) different to please the inside(soul) ?

While it's true that people will probably judge you different if you have a "nicer" appearance. It remains the question how much you should value the judgement of those people as they (only) look at the outside.

Data.

#20 Aureliano

Aureliano

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 01:28 PM

Actually, you have it backward. Tatooes and piercing will make the majority of people less inclined to invite you at dinner.
I don't know but I've been told
Deirdre's got a Network Node
Likes to press the on/off switch
Dig that crazy Gaian witch !

- Spartan troup song -