4 replies to this topic

#1 Nick

Nick

Tech-Support Guru

• Admin
  • 6055 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:54 PM

How to run Fallout in DOSBox

I have seen this question multiple times around the internet. Even to the point of searching for the original DOS version of Fallout. It seems finding the original DOS version is impossible. However, with the help of some forums online, there is a way to "convert" a regular windows version of Fallout, and use it in DOSbox. I've decided to write a very detailed tutorial. Plus, this requires no warez, or illegal files. Just the original Fallout patch, and some system files.

What you need:
DOSBox 0.74 | Or equivalent
Windows version of Fallout 1.0

1. Download the Fallout 1.1 DOS Patch
This will patch the game, but will also contain the DOS version of the fallout executable.

2. Extract the contents of the archive, and copy all files into your fallout folder. If asked, overwrite everything.

3. Download dos4gw.exe and place it in the "Fallout" folder. NOT the "DATA" folder. It needs to be where your fallout exe files are located, in the main folder.

4. Download hmidet.386 and place it in the Fallout folder. Just like step 3.

5. Download hmidrv.386 and place it in the Fallout folder. Just like step 3.

Your Fallout folder should look something like this:

Posted Image

I highlighted the important files. Ignore everything else.

6. Open your DOSbox configuration file, and change the value of "memsize" to "32".

7. Open the Fallout.CFG in your Fallout folder. This is a configuration file. Change the value of "art_cache_size" to "5".

8. In DOSBox, cd to the Fallout folder, and type "Fallout". The game will now run in DOSBox. You may or may not have sound. So if you want sound, you may have to tinker with the DOSBox settings.

Have fun, and enjoy your DOS version of Fallout.  :ok:

#2 Qbix

Qbix

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:14 AM

I got to try that. Never played Fallout in DOSBox.
Thanks Nick!

#3 Nick

Nick

Tech-Support Guru

• Admin
  • 6055 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:40 PM

No problem. Glad my tutorial could help.  :ok:

#4 monkycheez

monkycheez

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:11 AM

Good tutorial, everything is easily available.  Just wondering if you have any insight to this issue:

I jump into Dosbox, execute the game and I get the screen with the Pip-Boy guy with the words "Get Ready", Screen flashes and it takes me back to the command prompt.  (my Fallout Directory looks exactly the same as yours--except the Fallup1w is still a zip file for me and not a file folder, but the link provided doesn't contain a "Fallup1w" folder in the zip directory).

Disregard.  I'm an idiot.  I changed the Art_cache size to 5.  Then I ran the Zip file again which overwrote it and didn't even think about changing it back to 5.  That was it.

Awesome Walkthrough.  Now I can play in a small Window at work and be sneaky as hell!

Edited by monkycheez, 23 November 2010 - 12:25 AM.

#5 Nick

Nick

Tech-Support Guru

• Admin
  • 6055 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:59 AM

View Postmonkycheez, on 23 November 2010 - 12:11 AM, said:

Awesome Walkthrough.  Now I can play in a small Window at work and be sneaky as hell!

Hehe, glad I could help.  :ok:

:)