#16 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 02:43 PM

Tom Henrik, on Jun 17 2005, 02:51 PM, said:

Let's not turn this into an argument about which place is the best, people. This is meant to be a fun topic about strange customs, not to throw crap at eachother. :)
Well, I honestly don't think I was throwing crap at anyone, but if I did I apologize. ;)

Anyway, with regards to the guy who initially developed Nynorsk, I believe he was called Ivar Aasen. Kirkegaard was actually Danish (if we're thinking of the same guy).

But what about højnorsk and rigsmål? I never quite understood if those were to be considered different languages, like nynorsk and bokmål, or if they're just dialects.
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

#17 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 02:47 PM

Well, we were taught that riksmål was basically the old name for a slightly older version of bokmål (i.e. Bokmål 0.9. :) ). Dunno if that's true, though.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#18 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 03:55 PM

Hmm seeing a lot of U.S questions, well if anyone wants to throw across a Canada question that's cool cough cough :) , I can probably explain some of em.  ;)

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#19 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2784 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 05:05 PM

Flop, on Jun 17 2005, 02:43 PM, said:

Anyway, with regards to the guy who initially developed Nynorsk, I believe he was called Ivar Aasen. Kirkegaard was actually Danish (if we're thinking of the same guy).
Hmm... I think you are right. Well, that's how much I know about Norwegian History :)

It is extremely boring to say the truth ;)

Yo!

#20 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 05:59 PM

Just so you guys know, I was an East Asian studies major with a concentration in Japanese... so if you want to ask questions about Japan, I'll do my best to answer in lieu of any Japanese members.

Flop said:

Yes, sadly. Is it true that black people are still treated like crap in the US?

It depends on where you are. In some places, black people are treated like crap, although that's really not the majority anymore. In other places, black people treat white people like crap, but again, I wouldn't necessarily say that's the majority.

I would be more likely to say that in America, everybody treats everybody like crap to some extent. We do not discriminate when it comes to behaving badly :)

But really, you could probably say that about a lot of places, not just America. But I don't live in other places... I live here ;)
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#21 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:39 PM

DeathDude, on Jun 17 2005, 03:55 PM, said:

Hmm seeing a lot of U.S questions, well if anyone wants to throw across a Canada question that's cool cough cough :) , I can probably explain some of em.  ;)
Is it true that the Canadian government pays people who do nothing but to spot, divert (and sometimes destroy) icebergs? That should be cool enough. ;)

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#22 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:44 PM

;) Honestly I have never heard of such a thing in my entire life, but it could very well be possible, knowing how my government operates, I wouldn't put it past them to do something like that and waste our tax dollars. :)

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#23 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:07 AM

I have a question for you DeathDude: How close to the mark is Trailer Park Boys? Do you have trailer parks like that and, more importantly, are the people who live there like in the show (I'm guessing no, but I just had to ask :)). I love that show, BTW, it blows most ÚS sitcoms out of the water.

#24 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 03:57 AM

Well unfortuantely I myself have never seen an actual trailer park like the one they have on trailer park boys, is it like that? Couldn't honestly say, it's a possibilty I suppose, but no clue, none around where I live anyway.

As for the show itself, yeah it's a freakin great show, definitely one of the best shows on tv right now, very cool.

#25 Stroggy

Stroggy

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:55 AM

Triton, on Jun 17 2005, 02:46 AM, said:

Is it true that anti-Semitism lives on throughout much of Europe?
Not as strong as it used to be, it's usually veiled.
I think most attacks these days are perpetrated by immigrants from the Middle East.

#26 Puffin

Puffin

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 11:26 PM

To answer the first question:

Okey. First, you hunt yourself a shark. Do NOT eat it immediately, you'll die. You have to wait couple of months or so.

You cut it down in pieces, the ones my grandpa used to make were shaped like bread. Blessed be his memory.
So. You cut it. You put it in vacuum packings, then bury it. For months. Then you take it up, most people cut it in little squares and eat with toothpics. I used to eat it in bigger slices, like bread. Now I settle for the dices.

Beware, the smell is horrible. The taste is even worse. But you're not a real man ( :) ) unless you eat shark ;)  ;)

So, GO ON ALL AND GET YOURSELF A SHARK AND FOLLOW THIS BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO SHARK-EATING!!!!  ;)

About incest: You can marry your second cousin here. But it's not popular. But seeing how small nation we are, everybody are somehow related, and you can actually find out how. We have this online database over all icelanders, and you can see the family trees and how everybody connect. I'm a direct decendant of Egill Skallagrímsson, one of the most psychotic guy of all times. He commited his first murder at the age of 3. He was also a poet.

Posted Image

Posted Image
user posted image
©Kiddiarni

#27 Triton

Triton

Daily Denizen

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:08 PM

Flop, on Jun 18 2005, 01:07 AM, said:

I have a question for you DeathDude: How close to the mark is Trailer Park Boys? Do you have trailer parks like that and, more importantly, are the people who live there like in the show (I'm guessing no, but I just had to ask :)). I love that show, BTW, it blows most ÚS sitcoms out of the water.
There's never anything good on TV anymore, and movies are crap these days.

#28 Stroggy

Stroggy

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:52 AM

I don't think a lot of people know this, but in some parts here in belgium it is common to eat raw chopped meat called Fillet Americain.

#29 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 10:09 AM

Stroggy, on Jun 22 2005, 10:52 AM, said:

I don't think a lot of people know this, but in some parts here in belgium it is common to eat raw chopped meat called Fillet Americain.
Isn't that tartar? If so I've been served it a couple of times, when visiting my family in Belgium.

I've never enjoyed it, though. :)

#30 Stroggy

Stroggy

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 11:02 AM

No, not exactly.