35 replies to this topic

#1 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:19 AM

We had this interesting discussion about the issue some time ago and I heard pretty surprising names. However not all had read the book, so we mainly focused to the movies - which are far overrated imo - and thus we can focus to them here too, but don't be afraid to tell both if there's any difference. Who are your favorites? Mine?

Movie: Boromir
Book: very hard to name a single one, so many great characters, but if I have to pick one, it would be... *considering ages* Boromir
...70 years... LOL

#2 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:17 AM

Tom Bombadil. Not really.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#3 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:13 PM

I'd say Bilbo, but he's more interesting in Hobbit.

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#4 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:34 PM

never read the books and only saw the first movie so i couldnt really say. i thought gimli(?... the dwarf) was kinda funny in the movie ... i liked how they said the ring cant be detroyed and he just flipped out and tried to smash it with his axe...

also i cant take that elven leader very seriously considering hes mr smith from the matrix :)

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#5 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:37 PM

Elrond. He's not great in the movie, and you're right about that - I kept expecting him to start taking over random orcs :)
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#6 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:45 PM

Tom Bombadil is actually very interesting character in many ways. Bilbo had imo way too small part in LotR to be taken into account - but that's just me. Interesting character in Hobbit, no doubt. Gimli and Legolas were both poor in the movies - Legolas being stand-steadily-on-any-surface-no-matter-how-unstable and ridiculously accurate with his bow and Gimli being far too comical. Though admitted, the ring chopping attempt and "Not from the beard" (or something like that) were quite funny.

Elrond in the movie = catasthrope...
...70 years... LOL

#7 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 04:53 PM

My favourite character is Frodo.   :)  

I thought Elrond was really good in the film.  Treebeard was really interesting in the film.  I also loved Aragorn as Strider, cos he was all mysterious.   :D  

From the book, Tom Bombadil is a brilliant character.  I found Gollum really sinister and creepy in the book, so he was better in the book.   :P
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#8 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:18 PM

That child with a good sword, who you see dropping rocks on the Urak-Hai in The Two Towers, for sure.

And none of that Tom Bombadil business. JRR should have stuck with writing quasi-religious tomes, rather than songs. Bah.

#9 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:29 PM

Gandalf. The know-it-all everybody listens to.:)

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#10 Japofran

Japofran

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:05 PM

View PostJuni Ori, on Dec 7 2006, 03:45 PM, said:

Gimli and Legolas were both poor in the movies - Legolas being stand-steadily-on-any-surface-no-matter-how-unstable and ridiculously accurate with his bow and Gimli being far too comical.
AYE! Far far far too so. :)
..oO Mustached Crusader of the PEEKOCKSWOOZZLE Order Oo..
"STFU and show me your screenies!!"

#11 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:48 PM

Yeah probably Gandalf would vote, although Bormir in the movies was potrayed really well too. Sean Bean did an excellent job with the role.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#12 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:21 AM

Gandalf is a wise old wizard.   :)
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#13 Mighty Midget

Mighty Midget

RC Heli Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:51 AM

I haven't read the books in years now, coz I grew tired of them, but as "a favourite character", I'd have to say all them tribes and people other than the main characters. I think they add more "life to Middle Earth" than any main character alone. Them Rohans were pretty cool, and even though P.J. kinda made a mess of it, I liked the effort he put into showing the daily life of them riders.

Other than that: Bored Of The Rings is a far better book, on the sole condition you have read LotR first. There, Goodgulf is my favourite.
I met a goldfish who remembered meeting me before, but I had forgotten about that.

#14 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:41 AM

View PostFrodo, on Dec 7 2006, 06:53 PM, said:

My favourite character is Frodo.   :)
Really? I guess none of us saw that coming! :D Treebeard and Strider, agree. Treebeard was excellent in books and surprisingly they didn't spoil him in the film. Aragorn was better as Strider in both book and movie, but especially in the book. About Frodo, I still think Elijah Wood looks... well, far too girly. Frodo doesn't have to be übermacho, but at least clearly male.

@A. J. Raffles: That's exactly why I don't like him.
...70 years... LOL

#15 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:07 AM

View PostJuni Ori, on Dec 8 2006, 06:41 AM, said:

@A. J. Raffles: That's exactly why I don't like him.
Well, and where would they all be without him?

:)

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks