15 replies to this topic

#1 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:39 AM

So, tell me who's The One who definitely deserves a mention here.

Simo H�yh�, sniper (actually rifleman, never used any optics) - 3 months in Winter War and ~500 kills. Record never beaten in any conflict by anyone. Hunted by Soviets many times, even huge price was set for his head, but enemy snipers were always killed. Some sources even claim Soviets used mortar and artillery fire just to get him. Finally he was injured to mouth in the end of the war and he died in 2002 in the age of 96 years. Rest in peace.
...70 years... LOL

#2 chumloofah

chumloofah

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:15 PM

Dutch!
Posted Image

Not so keen with the glamourising on proper killing, so here's a picture of how war should be.
Snappy one-liners are a factor.

#3 Havell

Havell

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:57 PM

Fun fact:  The minigun in Predator is the same prop as in Terminator 2.  Even though they sounded completely different in each film.

On topic:  Robert Henry Cain is a cool British example.  He took on six tanks single-handedly, at some points firing a mortar from his hip.  He still found time to shave.
IPB Image

#4 a1s

a1s

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:19 PM

I don't know any, so I'll just pick someone at random:

Ivan Diomodovitch Antoshkin
Participated in the Winter war. Commanded a regiment of bombers. In 3 months his regiment had performed 2936 sorties dropping 964 tons of bombs on the enemy.  He personally flew 32 sorties, a large amount of those at night (bear in mind: this is 1940 Russia, so this is no mean feat).

During a critical moment in the battle for Moscow Anotshkin (by then a lieutenant colonel) from his his HQ managed to organize one of the first counterstrike against German tank and machine formations. His Division suffered heavy losses, but kep on fighting.

Died a general of aviation in 1944 with his second in command in an UT-2 plane crash. (not a very exciting death to read about, but you can respect an officer who keeps flying even when he is a general)
Those of you being liberal-art majors � don�t worry, advanced mathematics were largely omitted from this text in concern for your mental health.

QUOTE (Mighty Midget)
if BP has potied on Twilight Zone episode, I will strangle him

secret adept of the PICKALLONWEASEL order

#5 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:42 PM

Battle of the Chateauguay was a battle of the War of 1812. On October 25, 1813, a force consisting of about 1,600 French Canadians and Mohawks repulsed a American force of about 4,000 attempting to invade Canada. [3]

Already though, the commander of the outposts, Lieutenant Colonel Charles de Salaberry had been organising his defences. De Salaberry had many informants among the farmers in the area, and had accurate information about Hampton's size and movements, while Hampton had very poor intelligence about Salaberry's force.

De Salaberry had been so confident of victory that he had not informed his superiors of his actions. De Watteville rode forward and "approved" de Salaberry's dispositions, even as the fighting started.
My home town, Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, is named in honor of this great military mind who managed to fend off an American attack when outnumbered almost 4 to 1. Superior strategy and tactics, as well as close knowledge of the battlefield area were decisive in this victory.

Casualities were stupidly low on the Canadian side.
"I am on a hot streak... Literally"

#6 a1s

a1s

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:59 PM

fun facts about snipers:
The best snipers in history were all on the eastern front of WWII (I see winter war as part of that). (depending on who you ask this could be anywhere from top 8, to top 50 of worlds finest, with figures on kills jumping up to 2 times from source to source) :(
There are wikipedia articles about Simo Häyhä in English and Finnish (obviously) and also in Chinese, Polish, Arabian, and several other languages, but not Russian. apparently they don't like to talk about it. :(
A less impressive kill-count was achieved by an American by the name Carlos Hathcock, who killed  over a 100 people in the jungle of Vietnam with sniper fire. If you don't see why that is remarkable, go into you nearest woods and play hide-and-seek.
Those of you being liberal-art majors � don�t worry, advanced mathematics were largely omitted from this text in concern for your mental health.

QUOTE (Mighty Midget)

#7 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:31 PM

a1s: remarkable in Winter War bomb raids to Helsinki was that over 95% of them went significantly off the target - thus mentioning his bomb raids in heroic thread seems little off-topic. :( Of course, much of his bombings may be against enemy (our) lines, but even then (in Winter War) Russian bomb raids were next to insignificant. Only later on the WW2 their bombings became more accurate and effective.

Jungle snipers are indeed totally different chapter, but hardly ever sniper ranges are less than 100m, thus making sniper activity in dense jungle area questionable and that number - even though it may be correct - sounds a little exaggerated. Not meaning he didn't take out 100 enemies, but meaning that hardly he took that many in dense jungle. Also note: significant part of Winter War was fought in wooded areas.
...70 years... LOL

#8 a1s

a1s

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:20 AM

the fact that snipers usually don't work closer than 100 meters is dictated by the fact that they need to get away unnoticed*. in the jungle the same factors which obscure the enemy from you when you want to kill them, can work for you, when you are trying to escape. the best thing is shooting someone across a river or large elongated swamp, as these are hard to cross quickly, and don't have any trees in them.

*) by unnoticed I mean, that noone knows where they've gone, not that they can somehow secretly kill people from afar.

P.S. when I typed "unntocied" fire fox offered me just one choice of correction- Scientology. why?!
it also doesn't know what a Firefox is.
I guess I shouldn't have upgraded my dicttionary...  :(

Edited by a1s, 14 March 2008 - 02:24 AM.

QUOTE (Mighty Midget)

#9 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:45 PM

Sure you've not got a Debian version? Probably only recognises Iceweasel these days :(
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#10 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:10 PM

Another record-oddity:
Fighterpilot Jorma Sarvanto who shot down 6 enemy bombers in 5 minutes.
...70 years... LOL

#11 Aristharus

Aristharus

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:07 PM

War heroes..?

Arndt Pekurinen  :(
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?

#12 Havell

Havell

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:14 PM

View PostAristharus, on Mar 16 2008, 03:07 PM, said:

War heroes..?

Arndt Pekurinen  :(

Good call man, good call.

It is my life's aspiration to dodge a draft, and stir up hell even if I fail.
IPB Image

#13 punch999

punch999

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:22 PM

Not to Necromance or anything but this thread really irked me. What is a war hero exactly? Sounds rather redundant to me.

#14 a1s

a1s

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:33 PM

Hero (male) and heroine (female) to refer to characters (fictional or historical) that, in the face of danger and adversity or from a position of weakness, display courage and the will for self-sacrifice – that is, heroism – for some greater good, originally of martial courage or excellence but extended to more general moral excellence.

QUOTE (Mighty Midget)

#15 Yobor

Yobor

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:06 PM

I don't think that is quite what Punch meant...
We're running low on skin; I suggest we harvest another lesbian.
user posted image