#1 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2953 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:44 PM

http://www.audio-surf.com/

Ever wondered what a cross between Torus Trooper (on the site), Tetris and Guitar Hero would be like? Me either, but it turns out we don't have to - somebody already did it for us!

Audiosurf takes music tracks (mp3, ogg, m4a, cd audio, FLAC, etc) and turns them into tracks on which the game takes place. High bpm tracks produce intense games at high speed (and with high scores), gentler ones are far less intense. It uploads your scores when you finish a track and lets you compare them against other users who played the same song (and it emails you if somebody knocks you off the top spot for something), in a nice competition-breeding fashion. There's a selection of different characters who each have their own play styles (and more are apparently promised). Plus if you get it on Steam for a measly $10 - there's a demo on the site to try first - you get the Orange Box soundtrack thrown in, including a couple of versions of Still Alive, and Steam community achievements to go for. I've been playing it a lot last night and this morning, and it's great. Especially recommended are drum&bass tracks (Pendulum are very popular), long rambling metal (people seem to be playing Dragonforce rather a lot - despite the cheesiness :rolleyes:) and some classical music too - I've yet to try In The Hall Of The Mountain King but it should work nicely, but people have reported lots of success with Beethoven, and even Chopin.

There's a bunch of videos on YouTube if you want to see it in action - this one's pretty good.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#2 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:43 PM

Hehe, funny idea and looks cool.
...70 years... LOL

#3 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:29 AM

Yeah this looks really awesome, if I had some cash to plunk down I would totally grab it right now.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#4 Docktor_Worm

Docktor_Worm

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:08 AM

the beta was pretty cool, i didnt care for the gameplay much but it was cool watching my songs be a level
IPB Image
...her rabid glow is like braille to the night

#5 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:19 PM

Tried the demo. Must. Get. Full version.

#6 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:48 AM

Any people here registered users? I wouldn't mind some more people on my tracking list :ok:

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

#7 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:01 AM

I have the full version.  It's a brilliant game.   :ok:

Haven't played it for a while though.  I've been really busy recently.  I'll need to put my project aside, and get back to Audiosurf.   :P
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#8 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:49 AM

Yea its a really fun game.
What're your guys' favorite songs to do it to?
So far the "hardest" song I've seen is Gamemaster - Paul Oakenfold.

#9 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:55 AM

A lot of Nightwish songs are fun, and some Sisters Of Mercy.
I have an early version of Guns & Roses - You're Crazy, which makes the road VERY bumpy and insane.  I love that one.   :ok:
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#10 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:44 AM

View PostFrodo, on May 29 2008, 04:55 AM, said:

A lot of Nightwish songs are fun, and some Sisters Of Mercy.
I have an early version of Guns & Roses - You're Crazy, which makes the road VERY bumpy and insane.  I love that one.   :ok:

Yea, Coffee and TV - Blur does that too, its REALLY weird, considering the song isn't all that fast.
Such great Heights - the postal service is also pretty wacky

#11 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:05 AM

I've recently been playing through the Homeworld soundtrack, which is actually really annoying :P
Relatively uphill tracks that are easy, then suddenly cast walls of bricks at you.

Oh, and biggest disappointment yet: Homeworld (the Ladder). One of the most boring Audiosurf tracks I've ever seen :ok:

Of course track quality does differ between gamemodes. I'm a ninja mono player with ironmode myself. Mono isn't entirely favoured as it stands, though.

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

Reply to this topic