17 replies to this topic

#1 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:44 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review + download
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

#2 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:55 PM

;)

:)

I never realized the review was quite that long, hehe.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#3 MrBackAlleySka

MrBackAlleySka

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:29 PM

Ooooo this looks really nice! I have been looking for a roguelike that I haven't played yet...Now I got this, Mordor, and Geneforge 3 (not a roguelike) to play now!!  :)  ;)  ;)

#4 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:08 PM

This sure look interesting. I'll give it a try when I get time.
"I am on a hot streak... Literally"

#5 Whisk

Whisk

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:40 PM

Interesting little game that I recently discovered myself while looking for some better-than-default Nethack tiles to use when my eyes aren't doing so great.   While it doesn't seem as complex as Nethack the races and classes make it a great game to play when (god forbid) you do not feel like playing Nethack, but do want to play a roguelike.  :)

For those of you that prefer to use tiles there is a version available here that is pretty easy on the eyes and also has a nifty player tile customizer thing - so if you'd rather have a new look when you find a nifty sword to replace that club you've been using you can easily change it to look like you are actually using a club, or change your armor/hair/gender/whateverelseIforgot.  ;)

#6 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:01 AM

heh all i can say is give the game a try. its alot better than one might think at first... it took me 1 1/2 years to actually start thinking the game is worth playing but once i got into i thought...uh... cool  :)

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#7 Paul_G

Paul_G

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 04:31 PM

This game is really bloody hard. It's a meat grinder. It's quite fun to a point, but hard to the extent of being nearly unplayable and it takes a *LOT* to get me to say that about a Roguelike.

I've played Roguelikes for years and the closest I've come to winning one has been making it to the animated forest in ADOM, so I don't go into a game expecting to survive. Just the fact that ADOM is my game of choice tells you that I'm not someone who minds dying in a Roguelike. But Dungeon Crawl takes it to an extreme. I've run about 100 characters in this one now over the last week and my most powerful guy made it to level 6. Not Dungeon Level 6, mind... character level 6. About half of my characters don't make it past the first 5 minutes of play. In fact, the characters at the top of my high score list are all characters who were about to die on level 1, and to avoid death just took the stairs and left the dungeon altogether.

Most characters, even Fighters at full health, when they start will find themselves getting pummelled by even some of the common level 1 monster types in a 1-on-1 encounter. My last character, a mummy fighter at full strength with 16 hit points, took on a rat and got destroyed in an even fight. No other monsters around, no other weird circumstances. I mean come on... any melee-oriented character at full strength should be able to easily handle a rat on level 1 of the dungeon, shouldn't he?

Also, there doesn't seem to be enough food available to run a really good spellcaster for too long, and you can't be too elusive because all characters seem to run at the same speed and most monsters are as fast or faster than you are.

Basically, take the endless caverns from ADOM. Make the traps a lot weaker, the monsters a lot stronger and more numerous and that's the type of play you have here.

#8 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 04:49 PM

i think its great... and i dont think its that hard either

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#9 Cow'o'war

Cow'o'war

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 10:48 PM

wtf?  punkbuster keeps booting me for having "inadequate o/s privileges".  WTF DOES THAT MEAN???  i feel like that guy in office space... :blink:
Nice sig, but it fails to adhere to our Signature Guidelines. I've taken the liberty of PMing you the original sig in order to preserve it. Please come up with something else. - Tai

#10 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:27 PM

From LDC? Think you got the wrong thread there.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#11 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 12:15 PM

Alternative

heres a supposed more friendly and logical version of the game for those who think its to hard at the beginning.

sadly its only the source and im not installing C or whatever just to try it out. if anybody compiles it and trys it let me know how it is

Posted Image

#12 Sabreman

Sabreman

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:49 PM

I'm finding this tough going. I'm completely new to the Roguelike genre (and I'm completely in love), so I guess I'm not expected to be very competent yet, but this really is quite unforgiving. I can get down to level 3 but once there I inevitably run into spellcasters or multiple goblins and I'm swiftly despatched.

Still having loads of fun though. I've got Zangband, ADoM, Nethack, Mordor and ToME, but funnily enough thought I'd start with this one as it's 'simply' a single dungeon...

#13 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:12 PM

heh ^^

doesnt make it any easier :)

Posted Image

#14 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:36 PM

Is this worth downloading if I'm doing fine in Zangband? I mean, Zangband is hard to get a good player started, and if you don't concentrate for a while or venture too far you die. Is this any better?

#15 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:18 PM

depends on taste id say... zangband has alot going for it but this has skills and lots and lots of race/class combos + cool spells.. its a small download... you could just try it out

Posted Image

Reply to this topic