43 replies to this topic

#1 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 05:29 PM

This should prove to be an interesting topic I believe, what are some of the bands, current would make sense but you can bring up older ones that may still be around, that you feel get too much credit, when in fact in your opinion, they are a terrible band for some reason or another, they receive like so much praise and your standing there going like what in the hell are you talking about. ;)

My choices: Simple Plan- Lord they try to sing that they understand teens, but they couldn't be farer from the truth, simple sounding music, I wish they weren't from Canada. ;) Embarrasement.

Billy Talent- Another medicore band that seems to get a ton of air play here, again nothing special about them, there's that one song nothin to lose where the lead singer honestly tries to scream, and well it sounds so bad, ack my ears ;).

Backstreet Boys- I thought when they left in 2000 my ears wouldn't have to deal with them again, nope now they are back again and popular, why I have no idea and it boggles the mind, manufactured image and all that, I just wish they would go away please. ;)

I have more but I'll stop for now. :)

Alrighty then let's see some choices from others.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#2 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 06:34 PM

Had to think a moment, what would be the one band I wanted erased from history. Finally I made it: ABBA :) To even know of their existence makes me feel bad and to hear them leads to rampant vomiting!
...70 years... LOL

#3 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 08:27 PM

Good Charlotte. I have absolutely no idea why anyone likes them.
The Libertines / Babyshambles - Pete Docherty is a complete munchkin (hee hee) and possibly the most pointless "celebrity" ever (rock star takes drugs shock!)
U2 - Bono (even after dropping the Vox off the end it's pretentious) is revered as some kind of god for no apparent reason - they write the odd good tune, no more.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#4 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 08:55 PM

Remembered a few more, heh Maroon 5 lord the songs are not catchy, they try to act bigger than they are, horrible just horrible music, can't stand them, same with yellowcard, not much more to say except gag and so on.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#5 Dvoe

Dvoe

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 05:37 PM

Most the music thats "popular" or "mainstream" these days is overrated. All of rap (garbage), most pop music and all the run off in between is insanely overrated. :angel:

#6 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 05:39 PM

Agrees with the previous post...
I mean Gangsta rap is mostly listened to by rich white children... :angel:

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#7 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 06:50 PM

Yup got that right why do we North Americans have to deal with the same recycled crap over and over again. :angel:

#8 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 07:03 PM

Yeah, but there's plenty of quality rap out there - you just have to know where to look. Roots Manuva's Awfully Deep is a nice bit of British rap, and Dizzee Rascal is undeniably talented, even if it's not your thing.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#9 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 08:04 PM

i agree that the rap that most people here on the radio is complete junk. but just saying that all rap is garbage is kinda short sighted.

most "gangsta rappers" (yeah rich white kids) say the same thing about all forms of rock, electro and brit pop and there just as wrong.

people that say 2PAC, jay-z, or a couple of other mainstream rappers arnt talented should try to copy them. you wont get far. it is not all "im a pimp, ill kill you and white people suck"

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#10 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 08:38 PM

I didn't say all rap is garbage, and I didn't say rich white kids  are gangsta rappers, they listen to it, although their life is completely opposite to it...
And yes Jay-Z and others are completely overrated if you compare them with Pink Floyd, or hmm let's say Kraftwerk(although I don't listen to them)...
And believe me it's incredibly easy to make a rap beat...

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#11 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 11:28 PM

id like to open a topic about this but i think id be gang-raped to put it in the words of a famous ex-member so i wont :angel:

just one thing:

it is not easy to create a good hip-hop beat. and its very easy to create a crap "rock" uh... beat if you know what im saying... crap is crap... good is good... dont matter what type of music it is.

but back on topic:

even though i put it in the best cd's thread i have to agree with prej and say:

Nirvana is WAY overrated
same with
all of the new System of a Down stuff (i like the first CD and i guess the second is ok)
Slipknot is definetly overrated although they could be great i think
Usher is the devil
50cent is "whack"
all the new Eminem stuff is so complete crap compared to the first commercial CD.

sheesh... im not even going to get into it.... its too much ;)

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#12 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 05:41 AM

Ok, come on, Daka. Be a bit more creative and true to the topic and at least call it "gang-rapped".:angel:

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#13 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 12:40 PM

I agree that Nirvana is over-rated. Other than that I have to say that pretty much all pop that I've heard in the past ten years is over-rated. As a matter of fact I think that this topic has the potential to reach hundreds of pages. :angel:
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

#14 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 01:09 PM

Uh huh got that right Flop pretty much everything now a days in the industry is over rated and over played to hell, pretty much one of the reasons why I never listen to anything on the radio anymore.

#15 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:59 AM

Green Day-Ok, so some of theyr songs are good, I have 2 cds :angel:, but its not NEARLY as good as people make them seem
Billy Idol-Ok so you do remakes...yay....