43 replies to this topic

#31 Mighty Midget

Mighty Midget

RC Heli Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:05 PM

Best guitarist, eh? That's a tough one. Malcolm Young (AC/DC) is probably the world's greatest rhythm guitarist, second: Pete Townsend (The Who). Marc Ribbot is pretty innovative, Neil Young has a sound that noone can possibly copy (that matters), Johnny Ramone had a unique approach and a darn fast beat, Jimi Hendrix was a master of making the guitar sound new, Django Reinhardt was a virtuoso, especially considering that he had only two working digits on his left hand... In short: There is no such thing as "the greatest guitar player", but then again, I guess this whole thread is meant to pay homage to the guitarists each and every one of us admire for any reason. So: Malcolm Young, this one's for you :sneaky:
I met a goldfish who remembered meeting me before, but I had forgotten about that.

#32 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:58 PM

You need to broaden your horizons man. :sneaky: Malcolm Young one of the best Rhythm players? He's good but nowhere near people like Dave Mustaine, James Hetfield, Jeff Lomis, John Petrucci, John Schaffer, easily destroy him.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#33 Mighty Midget

Mighty Midget

RC Heli Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 07:15 PM

:P

Remember that rhythm is most of all about hitting the chord at that exact split second, letting it sound for exactly the right length of time, having the exact punch needed for that tune, muting/damping. Speed is not overly important when it comes to rhythm, although it does broaden the scope. M.Y. is one of the very few guitarists that never ever miss the beat. Add the drummer Phil Rudd, and you have the most solid rhythm section in any band. I'll bet you even Mustaine agrees  :sneaky:
I met a goldfish who remembered meeting me before, but I had forgotten about that.

#34 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 08:51 PM

I'm well aware of that. :sneaky: That's my point that each of the guitarists I've listed (Well maybe except Hetfield today) can do just that perfectly both in the studio and most importantly live,  I mean just look at any clip from Megadeth (Dave Mustaine) Dream Theater (John Petrucci) Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth) Jeff Lommis (Nevermore) and can't believe forgot to mention the team of Adrian Smith and Dave Murray (Iron Maiden) everyone of those guitarists are excellent at rhythm tracks (and lead in each case except Schaffer who's horrible :P) in fact it was Adrian Smith and Dave Murray who perfected the dual rhythm guitar melody that Judas Priest originally started. There's a reason why those two are known as the best dual rhythm players in music to this very day.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#35 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:44 PM

Lifeson from Rush is a pretty good guitar rhytm player, seeing as Rush has different time stamps in a song, he has a much more challenging job than Young, and he does it perfectly.
That's probably true for Petrucci, but I don't listen to Dream Theater so I wouldn't know.

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#36 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:01 PM

Agree with ya on that. Lifeson is a really good guitar player all around, he definitely holds his own rhythm and lead wise, and indeed with the added challenge of being playing progressive music, he holds his own pretty well. He really doesn't get a whole bunch of attention compared to say Peart and Giddy for their skill drumming and bass wise, but still he's an integral part of Rush and definitely holds his own nicely. :sneaky:

#37 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:10 PM

I don't know which effects he uses on the guitar, but it has a special sound, you know it's Rush, even before you hear Geddy's voice which is their obvious trademark.

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#38 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2953 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:36 AM

That and their hilarious suckiness :sneaky:
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#39 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:57 AM

Rush and suckiness should never ever belong in the same sentence, even if your not a fan of their music ya have to give them props for being around for so long and for having such a powerful fan base and staying power.

But yeah on the guitar sound, not sure what he uses but that's true that when ya listen to Lifeson you know it's him. Think nowadays you don't see that as often with guitarists having their own "unique sound" it happens but generally not to a great extent. Guitarists like Dave Murray and Adrian Smith also have some really unique sounds, that are instantly recognizable, Dave having more a faster, shreding type of sound while Adrian's is more clean and has a warmer tone, ya can go down the list with people like Marty Friedman, Micheal Romero, Steve Vai and others.

#40 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:44 AM

View PostBeefontheBone, on Nov 13 2006, 01:36 AM, said:

That and their hilarious suckiness :sneaky:
:O REPENT SINNER!

#41 Mighty Midget

Mighty Midget

RC Heli Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:04 PM

Over-all guitarist: Did anyone mention Randy Rhoads? The guitarist that convinced the up-and-coming super guitar heroes that classical music had it's place in metal?

#42 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 04:42 PM

Definitely he did that, don't know if he was the first to do that though, think Malmsteen had also tried to bring in the classical influence into metal, but he definitely was a superb guitarist, again unfortunately we lost him in unfortunate circumstances.

#43 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:06 AM

I think it's impossible to name a single person in any style creation.
...70 years... LOL

#44 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 04:36 PM

True enough, hard to really pinpoint saying a single person brought in a certain background into their guitaring, like jazz, classical or whatnot, there are some that probably pioneered it, but most of the time if one guitarist did it, chances are very good another one did too. The other one just may not have been mainstream or even had much exposure to show it.