43 replies to this topic

#16 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:13 PM

Well still I wouldn't call Satriani innovative, he's more the guitar geek type who just learned to play scales really really fast.

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#17 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:18 PM

Satriani isn't even what I would call someone who plays fast anyway, he's more technical if anything (with his two handed picking, sweep picking, and different volume harmonics he uses,) he's one of the few guitarists who actually knows and understands the guitar, beyond just reading scales and knowing which notes to play, he's also the one who set up G3, taking some of the best guitarists and putting them into a more intimiate setting, he also was the teacher to another fabulous guitarist, Steve Vai.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#18 Nace

Nace

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:19 PM

:bleh: "Guitar geek" is a good word.

There are defenetly guitar geeks, who are "mastrubating the guitar" as my guitar instructor used to say :huh:

#19 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:22 PM

View PostNace, on Oct 28 2006, 06:19 PM, said:

:bleh: "Guitar geek" is a good word.

There are defenetly guitar geeks, who are "mastrubating the guitar" as my guitar instructor used to say :huh:
Fret-w*nking. We have that term here.

Describes any DragonForce solo ever.

#20 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:23 PM

:bleh: couldn't have put it any better when it comes to dragonforce.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#21 wood

wood

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:33 PM

I think Hendrix could definitely be lumped in the Guitar Geek list.  He was ragingly experimental in his play style.  He picked lefty by just flipping a regularly strung guitar over.  It hurts my head to even consider that!  Granted some of his experimentalism should be attributed to LSD (lighting his guitar on fire or any of the humping/stroking footage) but when you watch the old footage of him playing, the movement isn't just b/c he's high as a kite.  You can see him feeling for the right place in the sound field thrown by his monitor and stack to get just the effect for which he's looking.  Compare what your average gig guitar player has at their feet now vs what Hendrix had on stage, then compare sound and style and tell me Hendrix wasn't a world-class guitar geek.

Personally, I liked the yelling through his guitar pickups while he picked with his teeth.  That is the weirdest damn noise ever.

I watched this special on Hendrix where Eric Clapton (maybe it wasn't Clapton) asserted that Hendrix's performance at Monterey raised the bar so high for other musicians of his time that Brian Wilson (of Beach Boys fame)--who was trying to pull himself out a spiralling depression due to hitting a creative brick wall--got back in bed for a year b/c he thought he could never be as innovative....but Brian Wilson was a whole different bag full of crazy.
Kein Mehrheit Für Die Mitleid

#22 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:19 PM

No doubt that Hendrix was definitely ahead of his time and really would have been interesting to see what else he could have come up with had he lived longer, definitely the whole teeth idea is fun to watch, but that was more for show than anything. Think today it's getting harder and harder to find what you would call "talented" guitarists, there is not many around since most of the vets are still around (Satriani, Vai, Petrucci, Romero, Johnson, and so on)

#23 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2784 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:08 PM

Whatever happened to Carlos Santana?

Yo!

#24 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:52 PM

Touring I believe atm, he's still doing guitarwork, although still doing mainly mainstream music work.

Really wish could catch the G3 tour happening now in South America, interesting lineup with Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson and John Petrucci, quite the unique lineup, just to head to one of those shows would be an experience not forgetable, really wish Joe Satriani would tour Canada more, only usually hits Toronto, Montreal and maybe Vancouver, but that's it. :bleh:

#25 Nace

Nace

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:22 PM

View PostTom Henrik, on Nov 1 2006, 08:08 PM, said:

Whatever happened to Carlos Santana?

Oh yes, another soft guitarist. "Soft" in a good way. A guitar player, who listens to what he plays. Not a geek defenetly.

Before he became fameous, he used to play in some strip club while girls were striping on his music.

You have to play realy good to do such a thing. :bleh:

#26 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:27 PM

Santana is decent, do admire that he has been around for so long and has been able to keep playing, but still is nowhere near other guitarists in terms of skills, a lot of his solos remind me of the style, playing on the lower end of the neck of the guitar mostly, sort of like Dave Murray does, except Murray is faster and just more entertaining to watch, and always smiling on stage, one of the happiest guitarists around that's for sure. :bleh:

#27 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:00 PM

You can't argue with "Smooth" though, whatever you think of the rest of his work :bleh:
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#28 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:23 PM

As Pierre Trudeau one of our late prime ministers said "Just watch me." :bleh:

Some of his earlier works though are actually pretty good, back when he was performing in South and Central America, definitely had the touch back in the day, not so much today.

Continuing on though should give some mention to some other guitarists that have a good amount of skill that should get mentioned. Luca Turilli from Rhapsdoy, who has such a great style, he is one of the main contributers to Rhapsody material and his solo work is also stellar, King Of The Nordic Twilight and Prophet Of The Lost Eclipse, both are great albums that really shows his skill.

As well Timo Tolki from Startovarius, who is the brainchild of the band and has managed to put out so many albums with the group, with some great tracks, the peak can probably be seen with Episode, Visons and Destiny, those 3 albums are definitely tops.

Daniel Gildenlöw from Pain of Salvation, for also being a mastermind of the group. He comes up with the majority of the music, lyrics and handles production duties on top of that, although he is more known for his singing, some of the music he has come up is memorable and definitely PoS is one of the most progressive bands performing today.

Finally Adam Jones from Tool for his unique style and just being one of the main writers of music for the band, really showing the band's progressive style and just emphasising the fact that Tool is such a unique and different band from many others. He is also responsible for many of the interesting cover designs for their albums.

#29 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:39 PM

Have to agree on Tool - Maynard's best stuff lyrically and musically is with APC, but Tool are great. 10,000 Days is their best album methinks, particularly the cover design, which is ace :bleh:
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#30 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:10 PM

Yeah think so too, with Maynard's best material being on APC, but he does well with Tool too. Do think 10,000 days was a very good followup to Lateralus, still prefer Lateralus and Ænima a bit more to 10,000 days.  :bleh: