43 replies to this topic

#1 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:22 AM

For me it must be Stevie Ray Vaughan, because his technique is perfect and his playing style is great, but his sound... His sound is something special he played on .13 chords (which is something very hard as any guitarist would know), and his guitar sound is so deep, special, and very hard to emulate, it makes (at least for me) any other guitarists sound like crap, just because he doesn't have the sound. I love all of his songs his playing is quite emotional in many songs (Riviera Paradise is my favourite), and he even outdone Jimi Hendrix (who I'm also a big fan of) with his covers especially Little Wing and Vodoo Chile.
Well that's why I think SRV is the best guitarist ever because he's got it all, technique, emotion & creativity and the sound.

Just as a disclaimer this topic is who you think the best guitarist of all time is, not your favourite (although the two can match :bleh:).

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#2 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2784 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:17 AM

I can't really pick a favourite, but Swedish Yngwie Johan Malmsteen have to get pretty high up, when it comes to pure talent and technique.

Yo!

#3 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:29 AM

Voodoo Chile? Heh - suspect you meant Voodoo Child, there :bleh:
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#4 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:34 AM

Nope Voodoo Chile there is a difference :bleh:
http://en.wikipedia....ki/Voodoo_Chile

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#5 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 01:09 PM

So hard to pick just one honestly, because there are so many great ones, obviously my favourite is John Petrucci, no surprise. Mainly for being able to mix shredding and great technical playing, add with the jazz knowledge he has and uses in his solos and songs, he's just a complete all around player, listen to his solo album Suspended Animation to really understand his abilities (Different than his stuff in Dream Theater that's for sure) Also forgot to mention he's one of the few guitarists to play on a 7-String. :bleh:

Honerable Mention has to go to Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Jeff Loomis (Nevermore) Micheal Romero (Symphony X) Marty Friedman (Ex-Megadeth, some of his solo albums are pretty sweet, while he was in Megadeth) Dave Mustaine,

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#6 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 01:22 PM

Huge number of best ones, between whom it is impossible to say who is the best. So I'll say, as I lately said in some other thread, my favorite guitarist: Ritchie Blackmore.
...70 years... LOL

#7 wood

wood

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 01:53 PM

View PostTulac, on Oct 19 2006, 05:22 AM, said:

For me it must be Stevie Ray Vaughan, because his technique is perfect and his playing style is great, but his sound... His sound is something special he played on .13 chords (which is something very hard as any guitarist would know), and his guitar sound is so deep, special, and very hard to emulate, it makes (at least for me) any other guitarists sound like crap, just because he doesn't have the sound. I love all of his songs his playing is quite emotional in many songs (Riviera Paradise is my favourite), and he even outdone Jimi Hendrix (who I'm also a big fan of) with his covers especially Little Wing and Vodoo Chile.
Well that's why I think SRV is the best guitarist ever because he's got it all, technique, emotion & creativity and the sound.

Just as a disclaimer this topic is who you think the best guitarist of all time is, not your favourite (although the two can match :bleh:).

Spot on, Tulac.  SRV is just...Well he's SRV.  I think Hendrix would have given us more over time.  There's no doubt they both played the guitar with a virtuosity and passion that few will ever equal and perhaps none will surpass.  No disrespect intended to the other guitarists listed here, but I suspect every single Petrucci, Mustaine, Van Halen, etc can trace their style and influences through SRV and Hendrix right back to very blues and jazz that first inspired Stevie and Jimi.

I have to go listen to some music at a high volume.  Hurray for working at home!
Kein Mehrheit Für Die Mitleid

#8 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 01:56 PM

Yup pretty much, with Petrucci, Satch, Vai, and so on most will trace it back to Hendrix and some to SRV, both definitely inspired a lot of guitarists.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#9 Sinke

Sinke

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:37 PM

The Edge from U2.
One can always get mocked for being polite.

#10 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:36 AM

Noooo! The Edge sucks!

Anyone seen Bill Bailey's impression of a catastrophic effects failure at a U2 gig? Brilliant.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#11 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:40 PM

Yeah don't really thing The Edge is that great either imo . Think most of the guitarists that have been listed here, are wayyy better than him.

#12 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 03:57 PM

I think every guitarist listed here is better than him.
...70 years... LOL

#13 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:50 AM

Think would be interesting to showcase some vids of some of the guitarists of this list, but focusing mainly on for example techniques that a particular guitarist is showing or just vids that really show a guitarist in action.

Here's one for Marty Friedman, really shows his playing style pretty well.

And a vid from Joe Satriani mostly showing some techniques on guitar.

Followed by 10 tips on playing guitar from Satch too, pretty interesting.

#14 Nace

Nace

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:54 PM

I think that good musitians are those who leave a lasting impression, those who contribute to the developement of rock,or revolutionise it completely.

My personal favourite is Jimi Hendrix without any doubt, if it wasn`t for him there wouldn`t exist artists such as Prince or Lenny Krawitz. I know that he wasn`t the only influent musitian but yet...

I `mean listen to the "Jimi Hendrix experience". Does it sound like anything before? People went crazy after that album. He was a creative one. The guitar is crying over there. Soft, but yet loud and strong. I cant describe that. Insane.

He was a unique phenomenon if you ask me.

As for bass guitarists - Flea. OK, maybe he dances a lot, but he plays a lot too.

#15 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:02 PM

Imo think it's hard to really use the term "best" or "greatest" when it comes to musicians, I mean certain guitarists have their own style, and should it really be a competition between certain musicians to see who is the best?

There is no doubt that Hendrix definitely revolutionized the guitar sound but as well think part of the fascination is because he died young too, that really just propelled his status even futher.

Think though that musicians that do influence futher musicians is important to note, like for example quite a few number of guitarists draw upon the influence of Iron Maiden, for their dual rhythms that Dave Murray and Adrian Smith made famous, they were not the first Judas Priest for example had been doing it earlier, but they were the ones who really used it much more often and used it nicely with the music they were making.