#1 Nick

Nick

Tech-Support Guru

• Admin
  • 6055 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:33 AM

Posted Image
Welcome!

Well, after helping two of our members, Mighty Midget & Frodo, I was knighted with the name "Tech-Support Guru". :D

So what's a guru without a thread?

If you need any help with your computer or even your programs, I can assist you, using my dark powers of geekology.

Just post in this format, and I will help you out.  ;)

Operating System:
Software (if needed):
Problem:

#2 Saccade

Saccade

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:49 AM

Dear Nick,

( Offending software (if applicable) - idk what I need, I have to tell you the soft I'm having probs with. Semantic difference could cause understanding issues. Friendly advice:))

I have a problem.
The other day, watching some video's on the internet, me an the mrs got a bit rowdy and poor old LappyR45 was thrown from the bed.
There are two USB ports at the side that I use a lot for USB sticks and HDD's, but primarily the mouse.

Well, to cut a long story short and spare you the details, the mouse somehow found its way to be ripped out and take the little black spacer - the one that forces the pins to touch; has grooves in it for the connecting bits - along with it.
I tweezed it out, as putting it back into the now, spacerless USB slot. If I put it in at a certain angle and put a lateral pressure on things, the mouse will work occasionally. I wouldn't trust it with more data than that, even if we fell in love, got married, did the whole kids and midlife crisis thing and then retired into the countryside - so I'm not sticking my (st/d)ick in that, thank you very much.
Let alone allow her full access to my HDD and Data Cards.

My computer (XP sp 2 / NT 5.1 ) reported that I have 4 USB connectors, so I found the two at the back. I've only had this laptop a few years, so obviously I'd know that. I must've just forgotten or something :Titan:
:P what a dimbo, but thank fuck there are 2 - never used - USB's at the back. We use this on the TV when playing adventure games, as the screen's much bigger and the resolution's the same (for The Beast, it isn't so good, as the highest res seems so low...).

It means we can play from the sofa, so it's all good. Better than it microwaving one of our reproductive organs (maybe both) by using it in bed all the time.

Anyway - I didn't really cut anything short, did I? :/

Can I just open up the Lappy and superglue the broken spacer back onto the m/b's broken USB slot?

My only trepidation is that this baby is overclocked quite a lot. It may be Old Reliable, but I can push it to modern games that don't require, as minimum, dual core. This is only a Celeron M.
I can live with 14-22 FPS during the village defences in Mount and Blade, for example.
But it does it hot as buggery.

Hot enough to melt superglue and have it run all over critical components? Idk.
I'll have to google / test the melting point of Loctite for that.

You reckon it's worth a try, or should I just not bother?

Yours faithfully,
Peter Austin, Age 29.

What's with this no editing stuff?
I was trying to edit this in:
( Offending software (if applicable) - idk what I need, I have to tell you the soft I'm having probs with. Semantic difference could cause understanding issues. Friendly advice.)

Edited by Frodo, 19 April 2010 - 09:41 AM.

#3 Nick

Nick

Tech-Support Guru

• Admin
  • 6055 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:05 AM

Your edit is there. But our forum is having a refresh cache issue. In order to see updated threads, you need to CTRL-F5 each page. Really annoying, and STD is just ignoring us.  :Titan:

Anyway, I have no idea what you two were doing on the bed to cause your laptop to fall. :P But using some kind of quick-dry super glue could work. As long as it's only a drop, I doubt it would melt. But maybe doing some more research on it could help. :bye:

What specific kind of glue would you use?

#4 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Forum Wizard
  • 9533 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:43 AM

Pete, merged your posts for you.  

As Nick says, the page refreshing thing is really annoying.  You have to press Ctrl F5 on the main forum page to see new threads, then again on the actual thread page.  :P
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#5 Saccade

Saccade

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:28 AM

View PostFrodo, on 19 Apr 2010, 10:43 AM, said:

Pete, merged your posts for you.  

As Nick says, the page refreshing thing is really annoying.  You have to press Ctrl F5 on the main forum page to see new threads, then again on the actual thread page.  :P

Fanks

Erm... Loctite Ultra superglue was what I was planning to use.
I glued my mouth with it accidentally last year (don't ask) so I know it's good stuff.

You guys don't have a liason person with STD's do you? I don't think anyone really does...
Mind, I'm making a small fortune from ads atm, since I have no job. They will be too, but the difference is - they don't give a fuck.

#6 Nick

Nick

Tech-Support Guru

• Admin
  • 6055 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:44 AM

Hmm.. that glue should be fine. It probably won't melt from any heat. :P

#7 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Forum Wizard
  • 9533 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:52 AM

View PostSaccade, on 20 Apr 2010, 02:28 AM, said:

You guys don't have a liason person with STD's do you? I don't think anyone really does...

I'm the liason person.
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

Reply to this topic

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com