MdaG's Roguelike

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

Poll: Which setting for a new roguelike game?

Which setting for a new roguelike game?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:25 PM

View PostDakaSha, on Aug 10 2006, 10:05 AM, said:

i might be able to create the music for you :bleh:

itd be cool to create some atmospheric music instead of hip-hop and crazy electronic music :P
If you would, that would be great!  :)
I can't offer you anything except giving you full credit for the work you do in the game and webpage...  :)
I'm not sure yet about what format to use, but I guess midi or ogg would be the most simple.

Other things that I've already decided is that I want static (once visited) dungeons ala ADOM and not ones that are randomized even when you've already been there with your character (like in ToME). I'm also treating all NPCs (friends and foes) like the player character. Which means that they will all be of the same complexity. The only difference is that their behavior will be handled by code tailored according to their nature along with their stats, abilities and inventory. A downside with this is that save games tend to get large very fast. If I can't find a smart way to get around this I won't be surprised if a late game character save takes up 3-4 Gb (!?). At the time I'm treating it like a minor annoyance. But later on I have to find a more intelligent way to save game data other that turning all objects into byte streams on the hard drive.

*edit*
Oh and is it possible to change the topic to "MdaG's Roguelike" ? Journey isn't accurate at all anymore.

#32 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2784 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 02:25 AM

Done. :)

Yo!

#33 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:08 AM

I'm currently working on the code for the field of view, line of sight and unveiling of the map. Unveiling will be similar to all the other Rogulikes out there. The LOS (probably based on perception) will probably be some variant of the regular ray tracing to detect what the character can see and not see. And then it's the FOV, I want the character to only see whatever he's facing, thus making it possible for him/her to be stalked without knowing it (unless good at detecting danger/listening). This is an example of what I have in mind:
As you can see, it is possible to see everywhere like in ADOM, but you have to use the wait command to do that. I'm not sure how this will work out in the game, but it's an enticing thought.  :bleh:
. = non visible tile
x = visible tile
@ = character

xxxxxxxxx
.xxxxxxx.
..xxxxx..
....@.... north (8)

...xxxxx
...xxxxx
...xxxxx
...@xxxx north-east (9)

......x
.....xx
....xxx
....xxx
...@xxx east (6)
....xxx
....xxx
.....xx
......x

xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx
xxx@xxx wait (5)
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx

#34 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:17 AM

Wait for one turn, you mean? Or would it be several turns, while the character spins around?:bleh: Anyway, interesting idea.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#35 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:42 PM

Nice. It looks a bit strange though because used to having "." as the line of site indicator(the font is lighter in colour). I hope this will own, looks good so far.

#36 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:31 PM

i love line of site but you have got to keep it simple otherwise it can really get on your nerves and take something away from the gameplay

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#37 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:54 PM

Wait for one turn, you mean? Or would it be several turns, while the character spins around?
I think one turn will suffice. It'll be enough to make the player stop and wait a turn every now and then just to make sure...  :bleh:

Nice. It looks a bit strange though because used to having "." as the line of site indicator(the font is lighter in colour). I hope this will own, looks good so far.
I hope it's clear that the x is just to emphasize which tiles are seen. The map will not actually contain any x:es, the x:es are just markers above to show which tiles gets updated when the player moves in that direction. The map will look like in the screenshots, but with the unveiling code making areas you haven't visited shrouded in darkness.

i love line of site but you have got to keep it simple otherwise it can really get on your nerves and take something away from the gameplay
I'm not planning on implementing anything else other that described in my previous post. Is that too complex?

*edit*
Added a screenshot with shroud of darkness implemented. No LOS or FOV yet though.

#38 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:54 PM

View PostDakaSha, on Aug 17 2006, 02:31 PM, said:

Line of sight is ownage.

#39 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:11 PM

View PostMdaG, on Aug 17 2006, 02:54 PM, said:

I'm not planning on implementing anything else other that described in my previous post. Is that too complex?

nah you just have to leave the interface easy/intuative. wasnt meant as criticism i just wanted to let my 2 cents about LOS in RL's loose :bleh:

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#40 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:47 PM

I hope it's clear that the x is just to emphasize which tiles are seen. The map will not actually contain any x:es, the x:es are just markers above to show which tiles gets updated when the player moves in that direction. The map will look like in the screenshots, but with the unveiling code making areas you haven't visited shrouded in darkness.

Ok. What theme is this, or have you decided yet. And what are you making this with?

#41 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 04:28 PM

View PostPotatoe, on Aug 17 2006, 05:47 PM, said:

Ok. What theme is this, or have you decided yet. And what are you making this with?
I haven't decided yet, but it's leaning towards a dark sci-fi theme. I'm going to finish the "engine" first and then I'll start thinking about theme, quests, monsters, races, classes etc.

#42 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 04:46 PM

View PostMdaG, on Aug 17 2006, 04:28 PM, said:

View PostPotatoe, on Aug 17 2006, 05:47 PM, said:

I haven't decided yet, but it's leaning towards a dark sci-fi theme. I'm going to finish the "engine" first and then I'll start thinking about theme, quests, monsters, races, classes etc.
Dark Sci-Fi pwns. What are you making this in?

#43 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:16 PM

I'm writing the game in Python if that's what you're asking. Maybe some parts will be in wrapped C modules, but I don't think that'll be necessary. By the way, I now understand why JADE is taking so long. Writing a roguelike is time consuming!
I can't see myself releasing anything playable anytime soon. :bleh:

#44 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 05:49 PM

View PostMdaG, on Aug 17 2006, 07:16 PM, said:

I'm writing the game in Python if that's what you're asking. Maybe some parts will be in wrapped C modules, but I don't think that'll be necessary. By the way, I now understand why JADE is taking so long. Writing a roguelike is time consuming!
I can't see myself releasing anything playable anytime soon. :bleh:
Writing any kind of game is time consuming(unöless it's really minor game). I'm working one a Roguelike adventure game type of thing. I think it'll be finished sometime next year.

#45 a1s

a1s

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:33 PM

if you don't mind me sugesting, I think it would be better to only give people a 180 degree lind of sight when waiting, but give them a small bonus to listen/detect danger checks.
allso, if you want to be evil and allow all sorts of sneaking, make charecters sleep for severeal hours each day (that means no line of sight, severe penalties to detecting danger and listening, and very little consumption of energy)
Those of you being liberal-art majors � don�t worry, advanced mathematics were largely omitted from this text in concern for your mental health.

QUOTE (Mighty Midget)
if BP has potied on Twilight Zone episode, I will strangle him

secret adept of the PICKALLONWEASEL order