19 replies to this topic

#1 Akunaeru

Akunaeru

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:46 AM

So, i thought up this whole idea quite some time back, and it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on it.
I'm going to quote what i wrote about it the first time i posted the idea (although on a different forum that wasn't really related to it):

I got this idea while watching through Angelic Layer.

Imagine a game (could easilly be 3d, but 2d would probably be easier to make and use, though not nearly as cool) where you have fights, most likely one-on-one (again, more could be possible, but it would be VERY hard for the players to fight effectively untill they've gotten a complete hang of it).

Now the thing would be that you can get up an interface where you control all the limbs with sliders and/or numbers. So you can basically say "Now i want my character to bend his left leg a little more" and the character would do it. A mirroring button for things such as that could be useful. Also, the possibility of having another slider
Now you're thinking "That would be impossible to fight in".
That's where macros come in.
A dynamic system where you can set your character to go to different poses which you program yourself by either making a "pose", in which case the macro will make your character shift to that pose whenever you use it. Or you could make a "move" or "animation", where you could say for example that you want it first to move the left arm backwards untill the fist is right next to your body as the starting position for the move and then you want it to go to a position where your fist is extended. Then you could either set the speed at which to move (preferably for every single limb, but with a button that makes them all move at the same speed) or how long you want it to take (with eventual limitations based upon your characters' stats.) Like keyframing when making an animation in any program.

Then you make ALL the buttons freely bindable on the keyboard to any of the macros.

Imagine how everyone would have their own style, based upon how they themselves want your characters to move. You COULD make them move all stylish and exaggerated like in games or anime or you could just make them move as effectively as possible.

This game would be hard as #### to make, but i bet i wouldn't be the only one who'd like it.
Oh and add in a fairly varied customization function for your character so everyone doesn't look the same <.<

Also note that i AM saying you shouldn't make it necessary for it to be too complex. Like i'm saying with the "mirror on other side" button or the "move all at same speed" button. All these would obviously be used for the mouse, unless it's a pre-set macro for your keyboard. So people could make W be an animation where the legs are moved like when you run. Space an animation where the character bends down the body as much as possible, and then bend up the legs as fast as possible, thus jumping.

What do you think of this idea?

There may be some spelling errors and such, but please bear with those. I tend to get my best ideas past midnight, so spelling doesn't really go in hand with them :bleh:

So, please give your thoughts on this and how you think it could be improved.
Do you think it's doable at all?

#2 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:57 AM

Pretty interesting idea have to say, :huh:  definitely different and unique and would be interesting to see especially with a fighting game where this idea fits, but yeah think the programming and all the variables that ya mention may be tough to do, would take a lot of work, but prob could be doable.

Granted ya could scale back a bit some of the features and just add it in a later version of the game should you choose to develop it, giving some incentive to gamers to look forward to the next version. :bleh:

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#3 Akunaeru

Akunaeru

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:01 AM

What features would you say could be scaled back then?
Still, i think this game isn't something i could do in years xD
Well, when i know enough to attempt making a game, i may just try making the 2d version of it i suggested. That should be a -bit- easier atleast.

#4 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:51 PM

I've already said I think it sounds very interesting, but I'll repeat: It sounds very interesting :bleh:

And just so it's here, I'll also say again that I think some kind of limitation for balanced play would be great, so that uber-obsessives can't pwn opponents by making God-Macros.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#5 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:56 PM

I must say that this looks like a brilliant idea. :huh:

I especially like the idea of using premade positions, as that would make controlling the players much easier. :D

There was a game similar to this that I tried once, but the controls were horrendous. This looks much better, and I wish you luck with it. :bleh:

Yo!

#6 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 11:47 PM

Sounds nice. The idea reminds me of Toribash(google it). But this sounds way cooler and more accessible. And the 2d part in my oppinion would be cooler and easier to make.

#7 Akunaeru

Akunaeru

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:29 PM

View PostPotatoe, on Nov 5 2006, 12:47 AM, said:

Sounds nice. The idea reminds me of Toribash(google it). But this sounds way cooler and more accessible. And the 2d part in my oppinion would be cooler and easier to make.
Well, i've finally went and tried Toribash and i suppose the main difference between it and what i'm thinking about is that in Toribash, the challenge is to do the move, while in my idea the move would already be done in an easy way, with the challenge being having good moves and use them effectively ^^

But i can see the connection to Toribash (which i now know is pretty damn kickass)

#8 Zer0

Zer0

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 06:07 PM

Sounds like an interesting idea. Maybe if you get lucky, you could make a beta version that a company would buy (ala CyberConnect2 and Harold Hoerwick :sneaky:)

#9 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:29 PM

View PostZer0, on Nov 17 2006, 06:07 PM, said:

Sounds like an interesting idea. Maybe if you get lucky, you could make a beta version that a company would buy (ala CyberConnect2 and Harold Hoerwick :sneaky:)
Umm, why exactly? The whole point of freeware is to make people happy, not get rich... And besides, the chances of a company buying your beta is slim, why? They could make a better version of it faster than you could say "Do you want to buy this beta?"

#10 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:45 PM

Potatoe, even though I'm writing my book for my own fun and perhaps so that my friends can read it, I won't hesitate accepting deal with a publisher. You know, money means a lot... :sneaky:
...70 years... LOL

#11 Zer0

Zer0

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 02:04 PM

View PostPotatoe, on Nov 18 2006, 07:29 AM, said:

Umm, why exactly? The whole point of freeware is to make people happy, not get rich... And besides, the chances of a company buying your beta is slim, why? They could make a better version of it faster than you could say "Do you want to buy this beta?"
What about Alien Hominid? It was a game that I used to play on Newgrounds.com, but then it was bought by a video game company, and published on the PS2. And yes, I bought Alien Hominid for the PS2, and I love it.

#12 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 03:43 PM

View PostZer0, on Nov 18 2006, 02:04 PM, said:

View PostPotatoe, on Nov 18 2006, 07:29 AM, said:

What about Alien Hominid? It was a game that I used to play on Newgrounds.com, but then it was bought by a video game company, and published on the PS2. And yes, I bought Alien Hominid for the PS2, and I love it.
Umm, no. It was not bought by any company. The same people who made the original game started a company called the behemoth and they remade it for the consoles. So  , no chances are still as slim as they have ever been.

Link:
http://en.wikipedia....ki/The_Behemoth

And you are mixing developer with publisher. Developer makes the game(in this case Akunaeru) and he/she needs a publisher if he is going to sell the game.

#13 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:42 PM

@Potatoe:

I don't think I'd say that freeware developers make games solely to make people happy. The majority of the makers I've interviewed or spoken with seem to have a dual goal of making people happy and creating a portfolio for which to get into commercial development. Also, I think they do it to make themselves happy - and who wouldn't be even happier getting paid for doing what makes them happy?

Needless to say, the actual reasons are subjective, and individual to each maker, and it's speculation for any of us (including myself) to generalize those reasons.

Also, by releasing a game (or any creative work) to the public, you are the defacto publisher. If Akunaeru developed his game and released it to the pubic himself, that would make him the publisher of his game as well as the developer. Publishing is simply a term applied to the vehicle of distribution to the public.

Regardless, I'm not sure that this is on topic, I think we're supposed to be talking about Akunaeru's game, not arguing about the reasons for producing freeware or their manner of publication.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#14 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:50 AM

@Tai: Yeah, but by publisher I mean some company that mass products the piece of software to the public. Sorry for the misunderstanding. And you are right about the subjective goals of developers.

And Akunaeru, you game sounds cool. I didn't like toribash that much because of the difficulty to pull any cool moves off, but yours sounds really good. If you could mix it with 3d ragdoll physics it would be awsome. Or even 2d ragdoll would be awsome if done right.

#15 Akunaeru

Akunaeru

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:25 AM

.....xD
You're still making it sound like i may go and make it, which i can't XD
I wouldn't even know where to look for people who may be able to make it either xD