79 replies to this topic

#16 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 11:15 PM

I tryied several times to get going with the skills The Hunterminator listed, but to no avail. Either I'm really a bad mage or there is something missing because I always end up being killed.

Adding Veteran would probably help a lot to stay alive at the beginning of the game, before the mage begin to really be powerfull. Being choosen of healing would probably help a lot too, as well as Akolyth.

Edit: Also, whatever I do, I just can't manage to get a good score. The reason why I got a high score with my fighter is because he is an Hunter. One extra point per animal kill may seem low, but it really make a difference in the end!

Edit 2: Forget veteran... You can't cast well with armor.  :)
"I am on a hot streak... Literally"

#17 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 09:04 AM

Just made a new score.

Eagle of Fire reached level 21, got 392 MKS and scored 1366 points.

Feats used:
Combat Training, Advanced Fighting Style, Veteran, Hunter, Alchemy, Artefact Lore, Akolyth, Chosen (Godess of Healing), Luck, Spelunker, Wisdom, Magic Weakness, Short Sighted, Outcast, Illiterate, Low Mana.

Magic Weakness been my downfall. At level 21 Dragons begin to abound in the dungeon. I took way too much time to find the exit in a level with a river and some high casting monsters along with Dragons piled up on the exit, killing me on the spot. Resurecting didn't help...

I found out that Luck is a very usefull feat. Luck 4 at the beginning mean more gold in the bags and better equipment when you open a chest. Very usefull.

#18 The Hunterminator

The Hunterminator

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:26 PM

Eagle of Fire, on Jul 19 2005, 11:15 PM, said:

I tryied several times to get going with the skills The Hunterminator listed, but to no avail. Either I'm really a bad mage or there is something missing because I always end up being killed.
Well, my way of playing a mage is getting my magic circle to 7 as quick as possible for dark manna as well as casting shield at the earliest opportunity and keeping it at all time. Deadman's gold is also useful at the beginning of the game, and the various summons can be used to explore the dungeon.

Also, Leylines contact means mana refill at each level so before going down, I cast every single buff I have. Also, open allows to open doors and chests so that can be used for shortcuts as well as extra equipment. If you're lucky, you can get Sidhe stuff which are not armor (so no casting loss) as well as raising spell power.

With crown of the Sidhe Queen, cape of the Sidhe Lord and ring of the Sidhe, I had a spell power of 14 so my arcane bolt did 25 damage.

BTW, I have a question. Your character is a fighter, how do you manage to kill ghosts?
/\
|
|
|
Lurker

#19 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:30 PM

Any decent weapon will kill ghosts - i.e. anything with a 'rune' prefix, anything which has an aura of flames or cold, or the really cool weapons like doombringer axes, etc. I usually play pure fighters, so I have to rely on finding a good weapon (or nicking one from a merchant) before I start running into ghosts, but most of the time that isn't really much of a problem.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#20 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:36 PM

id really like to play this game (and i have) but i cant stand the fact that every version is REALLY different than the last... so im waiting for 5.000... and hoping they stop  there

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#21 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:25 PM

Like Raffles said, I can't do much before I find a magical weapon (any kind of magical weapon). Before that, I either need to sneak my way past them or rely on wands to kill them magically.

Most of the time I can simply avoid them. I love my pickaxe and my shovel. :)

#22 2fj

2fj

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 11:51 PM

Eh, You can just get the Ghost hunter Trait and you can whack ghosts without a magic weapon.(or Wand) (And it gives you some gold and 1 point per ghost killed, I think)

#23 The Hunterminator

The Hunterminator

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:34 AM

3 points actually, probably due to the fact that ghost are much rarer than animals.
/\
|
|
|
Lurker

#24 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 10:25 PM

I was just wondering, if the levels keep getting larger, doesn't it become almost impossible to find the exit if you do reach level 500+ like the leading characters in the highscore lists did? Unless I don't know how to use a calculator, level 500 would have to be 1005 x 1005 squares.:)

#25 The Hunterminator

The Hunterminator

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 02:23 AM

There's one of the traits that show you where it is or something like it, never tried it but it might be a good investment once you get deep.
/\
|
|
|
Lurker

#26 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 06:41 AM

Ah, right. Thanks.:) Makes sense, otherwise those high-level characters would all have to starve to death looking for exits, I suppose.
Has anyone tried the latest version of it, by the way?

#27 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 04:48 PM

Starving to death is not a problem when you are a hunter. You always find meat by killing monsers. ;)

I found several times in my adventures an object with act like a mage spell. It shows you the way to the exit once per level without using a charge.

I would not recommend purchasing the skill per se. The lowest I got was around level 20, and by that level you'll worry way more about how to survive against demons, dragons and wyverns of all kind than to find the exit...  :)

#28 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 05:40 PM

Well, but if you knew where the exit was, you could just rush past them.

#29 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 05:56 PM

Rushing pass them is not a viable option on such a big level. Unless you mean sneak pass them?

I'm yet to try to play a "rogue"-like character on this game... Hummm... Should definitly try that.

#30 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 08:11 PM

I keep trying to play characters who can't cast spells, but I've never managed to make it past level 20 so far. Maybe I should just give up and try the new version. On the other hand it's rather nice to be able to nick one of those nifty  Doombringer Axes from an unsuspecting merchant.:)

Reply to this topic