Marvel Super Heroes

35 replies to this topic

#1 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:27 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review + download

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

#2 SpiDoL

SpiDoL

Member Munchkin

• Producers
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:23 PM

Thank you SO much for posting my game on your site! I really appreciate it. Now if you can do the same for my Mortal Kombat game, it'd be perfect.

But I would like to point out there IS music and sound in the game. What you do is go to "data\mugen.cfg" and look for Sound Configuration. You can turn the music and sound on plus alter any video settings in there.

Posted Image
LIFE IN A NUTSHELL

Games I've gotten on the site:
Marvel Super Heroes
Sonic Robo Blast 2

#3 MasterGrazzt

MasterGrazzt

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 06:05 AM

Well, I decided to "come out of retirement" so to speak to give a little review of my initial impressions of this game. Being a big Marvel fan, (and comics in general) and loving good video game adaptions of their characters, I have much to say on the topic.

First off, it's very good for a homemade fighting game made with an engine that I know is sometimes quite unstable. I get the occasional error, but none of them have reoccured at any regular interval. I tried the music, but it's glitchy, and even crashed the game once.

So far I've only played with Thor, who is easily the major reason why I downloaded this game. When I did the super combo where he summons the Warriors Three and Beta Ray Bill... I felt so great. It's way cool. But I know you didn't code that character, SpiDoL, unless you did, for the DC vs Marvel MUGEN project. (http://dcvsmarvel.scruffydragon.com/ for anyone interested)

My only other complaint is merely a matter of taste. I really dislike Spawn. In fact the only thing I care about at all from his universe are Sam and Twitch, and only in their solo comic. I haven't fought against him yet, but I don't really want to. Is there a way to remove him without breaking the game? I'm not insulting you or anything, I know a lot of people like him, and that's okay with me.

Along those lines, is it possible to work in some iconic Marvel characters that were neglected by the Capcom games? I've always wanted to play the Fantastic Four in a fighting game. How about the Silver Surfer, or Doctor Strange? There are MUGEN projects involving all of these characters, but I don't know if they've released anything more than sprite art. I do know DC vs Marvel have done a Ghost Rider character, though I don't know if it's stable yet. I've always thought it was a shame that the MvsC games came out when they did, because they were sadly X-Heavy. If they came out nowadays, you can be sure that the Fantastic Four would be in there.

So far, my impression is that your game does a great job of recreating the original MSH experience.

PS I know it goes without saying in the MUGEN community, but quite a few of these characters were created by many people. Have you credited them? If so, I apologize. But if not, it would be great if you could, even if you made your own variants? Please excuse me if that sounds like toe-stepping.

EDIT: I want to make it clear that I'm not calling him a thief. The characters were coded by others, but they were created for people to download and use in their own games.

Also, I can't use the sound at all anymore. It just crashes the game. Runs fine turned off, though. Oh, and I fought against Spawn... it was very, very satisfying to beat up Todd McFarlane's (that baseball buyin' hack) creation!
user posted image

#4 SpiDoL

SpiDoL

Member Munchkin

• Producers
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:07 PM

We'll wait until DC Vs. Marvel comes out, then we'll put it on this site whilst crediting the Original Creators.

Meanwhile, I'll see what I can do about making an MSH v2.0...

Posted Image
LIFE IN A NUTSHELL

Marvel Super Heroes
Sonic Robo Blast 2

#5 Homsar

Homsar

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:25 AM

Good Sir Programmer---

Oh please oh please oh PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON TOP will there be a MSH vs. Street Fighter port?
aaAaAaAA...AHM A SOOOOONG FROM THA SIXTIEEEES

#6 SpiDoL

SpiDoL

Member Munchkin

• Producers
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:42 PM

View PostHomsar, on Feb 23 2007, 10:25 AM, said:

Good Sir Programmer---

Oh please oh please oh PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON TOP will there be a MSH vs. Street Fighter port?

Nope. Marvel only. Sorry.

Posted Image
LIFE IN A NUTSHELL

Marvel Super Heroes
Sonic Robo Blast 2

#7 SpiDoL

SpiDoL

Member Munchkin

• Producers
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:16 PM

ATTENTION:
MyDataBus (The place I host all my downloads) is having technical difficulties right now. So DOOM 64, MSH, and MK MUGEN cannot be downloaded right now. I will notify you when the site's back up...

EDIT:
All my downloads are back online now. Enjoy.

Posted Image
LIFE IN A NUTSHELL

Marvel Super Heroes
Sonic Robo Blast 2

#8 Exile

Exile

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:29 PM

how can you perform actions that drain the powerbar?

combos and stuff?

i really wanna go  :) on some enemies, but i can't figure out how to use the special moves XD
Open the door! are u exiling me or something?

#9 SpiDoL

SpiDoL

Member Munchkin

• Producers
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:53 PM

View PostExile, on Feb 23 2007, 11:29 PM, said:

combos and stuff?

i really wanna go  :) on some enemies, but i can't figure out how to use the special moves XD

To do most of the characters' super moves, all you need to do is press Down, Down-Right, Right, & All 3 Punch Buttons. Or you could go to a MVC2 FAQ and look at the moves there, as most of the characters are from that game.

Posted Image
LIFE IN A NUTSHELL

Marvel Super Heroes
Sonic Robo Blast 2

#10 Dante

Dante

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 05:00 PM

View PostMasterGrazzt, on Feb 22 2007, 06:05 AM, said:

First off, it's very good for a homemade fighting game made with an engine that I know is sometimes quite unstable. I get the occasional error, but none of them have reoccured at any regular interval. I tried the music, but it's glitchy, and even crashed the game once.

So far I've only played with Thor, who is easily the major reason why I downloaded this game. When I did the super combo where he summons the Warriors Three and Beta Ray Bill... I felt so great. It's way cool. But I know you didn't code that character, SpiDoL, unless you did, for the DC vs Marvel MUGEN project. (http://dcvsmarvel.scruffydragon.com/ for anyone interested)

My only other complaint is merely a matter of taste. I really dislike Spawn. In fact the only thing I care about at all from his universe are Sam and Twitch, and only in their solo comic. I haven't fought against him yet, but I don't really want to. Is there a way to remove him without breaking the game? I'm not insulting you or anything, I know a lot of people like him, and that's okay with me.

See, i probably only joined the forums because of this.  When i down loaded the game, i spent the last two days researching mugen and fiddling with it.

1st) I already sent a fix to this website about the music, which they will probably post, but an abridged version: Assuming you know how to turn the sound on, you probably have your sound accelerated too fast. To fix, simply go to control panel, Sound, Speech and audio devices, Sound and audio devices, advanced speaker setting, and move the slider by trial and error.

2nd)  Not only can you get rid of Spawn Fairly easily, you can replace him with some one cooler.  The game seems to have ripped off many of the fine Mugen makers of the internet.  Spawn is probably the most pronounced rip off as his total lack of powers (suggesting he's not finished yet).  To get rid of him, go to data, and open up select.def.  Go down to where it says "Spawn, Random" and change it to "Randomselect, Random".  Spawn is history...though your select screen will look a little lonely. so...

3rd) Adding a character.  Lets say wonder woman from the website you provided.  The person who made thor also made wonder woman, and she is perhaps the most developed character out their (also her AI is cheap as hell so you might not want her).  Anyways, Down load her and put her in the "Chars" folder.  She should be called wonder_woman...but if you have another character folder called wonder_woman, feel free to change it, but know you have to change the name of the DEF file inside the folder to match.  Anyways, Go back to select.def and simply replace a character or empty slot (Randomselect = empty slot) with the "(file name), random" (example: wonder_woman, random".

Oh yeah, you can change the music for levels, character and the title screen to any mp3...but i think i'll get some breakfast first.

View PostExile, on Feb 23 2007, 11:29 PM, said:

combos and stuff?

Also, a lot of the move lists are inside the "Chars" folders labeled Readme....A lot of them are in Spanish too...pointing to no centralized source.

#11 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 06:42 PM

I already took down the comment about being no music, that was my bad. :) Nevertheless thanks for the tips Dante, especially about adding in your own mp3 tracks and such, and welcome to AR too.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#12 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 06:44 PM

@Dante:

Thanks for joining up to post the fix :)

I'll add it as a technical note to the review soon - credited to the name Dante ;)
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#13 Dante

Dante

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:36 PM

Anyways, after you get the music to work, the real question is...do you want to listen to that crap.

Of course we could just turn it off and just turn on our windows media player, but A) I'm too obsessive compulsive :) If i had a crappier computer, the game play might be choppy.

First things first.  Add your music to the sound directory.  For example, I added Iron man by Black Sabbath to the sound directory with the intention of adding it to the ironman stage (cause i'm so Clever).  It's a lot simpler if you simplify the name of the song to something shorter like "Iron" or "Ironman". for our purposes, lets just use "Iron.mp3".  The next thing i did, was opened the stages diectory and opened up the document: "Ironman_stage.def".  The Iron man stage is a bit more complex than most levels, mainly because the background moves until the end.  Luckily, most standard notepad programs have a little thing called find.  Find: the word Music and you will see something like this

bgmusic= sound/ironman_music.mp3
bgvolume= 0

The first command line is self-explanatory.  Simply change the Ironman_music.mp3 to whatever the hell your music name is

bgmusic= sound/iron.mp3
bgvolume= 0

The second part takes a bit more discussion.  0 = the normal volume of sound for most stages, however, for your mp3's, it might not be enough.  I recommend turning it up to 999 at least.  I've had some issues turning it up higher (mainly that it wouldn't play), but never a problem with 999.  If you do, simply turn it down.  So, our example should now read like this

bgmusic= sound/iron.mp3
bgvolume= 0

Save it and playing the game.  When you finally get to that stage and it's perfect cause your playing Iron man and Warmachine just happens to be your enemy...of course what happens is it doesn't work.

It took me two hours to find out why.  It's because I’m an idiot.  My iron.mp3 was actually Iron.wma.

Bad news, Mugen doesn't know what the hell a wma is much less what to do with it.

Good news: a free little program called jodex

It can convert 20 or so wma's to mp3's in about 5-20 minutes depending on your computer.  It assured me that it wouldn't give me any spyware and thus far it hasn't.  (I checked my popup blocker)

it can be found here

Of course, it's perfectly reasonable not to trust me.  Goggle has a bunch of commercial Mp3\wma converters.  but most are commercial and at the very least, only give you trails.

Lets continue to changing the title music, stage select music, ect.

Again, add your music to the sound folder and change it's name for convenience.  In the data folder you should see a file called system.def  the third heading down should say music.

For example, say we are changing the Title screen

title.bgm = [Whatever was here]
title.bgm.loop = 1

replace it with your music

title.bgm = sound/gowiththeflow.mp3
title.bgm.loop = 1

And that's that.

#14 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:53 PM

Best program to do such conversions I think is musicmatch, yeah big program but also converts to a bunch of other formats as well. Thanks again though for all this detailed info on adding mp3s and such. :)

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#15 MasterGrazzt

MasterGrazzt

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:40 PM

Thanks, Dante. All that really, really helped with my enjoyment of this. I've been wanting to test the new DC vs Marvel characters pretty badly.

As for Wonder Woman... the cheaper, the better! I love my SNK bosses, and a challenge.
user posted image

Reply to this topic