4 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:24 PM

I found a nice little game called Starport. What makes the game interesting for me is the fact that it is a complete ripoff of a very old BBS Doors named Tradewars 2002, a game I used to play in the early days of BBS here in Québec.

The game is very simple; you are the captain of a ship and you must successfully make your way thru your career, trying to get to the top ranking and staying there. The game is winable in the finite servers, and other servers are infinite thus giving you the option to play a short but very competitive game (like Tradewars 2002) or starting a game in a world you know won't fade but where other players are already well established.

Several options, some new from the old Tradewars game, await you. You can start, a la Elite, by trying to trade your way around and make money until you can gather enough to buy a new ship and continue this way until you do have enough money to found a colony, or you could visit the different trade posts of the galaxy to act as a taxi and ferry people from one place to another for money. Most of the servers are PVP based, so if you wish you could also go the "evil" way and attack trading posts, stealing from them and even attack other players to your way to become the greatest villain of the server. Even on the non-PVP servers, both "good" and "evil" NPCs roam the map so you must stay on your toes and be ready to avoid or disengage them if need be. If none of those options appeal to you, you can also land on planets and engage Aliens to gather ressources that you can then sell to your nearest starbase. If it's buying it, of course.

Your ship use "warp fuel" to move around star systems and land on practically anything, and this "warp fuel" is slowly but surrely regenerated over time. This mean that you would play a long strike when you begin, stop when you don't have enough fuel left and then take a break to come back later or the next day. Pretty much like any other MMO game like Urban Dead, Kingdom of Loathing or any other game with similar structure you could think of.

A little gem by itself, the game seem to been made to be able to run on most machine. People in game reported to me that the game originally intented to run on a 233 mhz machine, so playing with it should not be an issue even for the least favored of us. The only thing you really need is an internet connection, and like any MMO I'd suggest a good connection if you want a good playing experience. I myself have cable and it work like a charm.

The game in itself is inherently free. No paying fee, no shareware page bothering you all the time to subscribe or pay something. The only place in the game that the developpers ask you for money is at the Sol system starbase, in exchange of certain "advantages" like bonus fuel, extra to your ships, etc. All in all, this is only and explecitly mentioned so that it is to pay for the server(s), and if you don't want to waste money on the game all it really do is to give you a little extra boost in time since none of those extras can't be gathered somewhere or somehow in the game.
"I am on a hot streak... Literally"

#2 MrBackAlleySka

MrBackAlleySka

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 02:19 AM

Ooo, pretty sweet game! I love space games like this. Kinda like EVE Online, but my computer isn't good enough to play that. I flew around a little bit, some pirate pc's chased me but I never left UN systems, didn't know what I was doing though heh. Is there a manual or anything to the game? Also, which servers are infinate?

#3 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:26 AM

The infinite servers are those who don't have a time limit. As a beginner you should begin with the no-pk servers, they all begin with "Pax".

You can get info on how playing the game at their official forum.

#4 MrBackAlleySka

MrBackAlleySka

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 08:37 PM

By the way EoF, what server do you play on, and what's your name man? I'm Skeric in the Battle Royale server, so far im lovin this game hehe Found an artifact on my first day, a superconductor.

#5 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:34 PM

I am EagleOfFire and I'm currently playing on 2 Pax games. They are Pax Pleniades and Pax Partners.

Pax Partners is a finite game and I am difinitly going to get a 4-10th rank medal for that one. Since it would be pointless to form a corp with 2 players on that game (the XP from corporation colony is splited), I won't invite you there. However, the game on Pax Pleniades is a infinite game and I invite you to come join me on my corp named Phoenix's Rising. I just founded a Earth-like colony and I'm slowly learning the trick of the trades.

Playing on non-pk servers have it's advantage; the only fights are against NPC and invasion are almost non existant. Which mean that I can learn the game there and then move to a finite PK game when I feel like I have a chance.

Reply to this topic