• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:44 PM

Fearless Vampire Killers
The Thing (John Carpenter version)
Escape From New York

That's two John Carpenter movies on my top three list. That guy rocks! :ok:
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

#17 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:45 PM

Moogle, on Apr 24 2006, 11:43 PM, said:

I don't care :ok:

And Silent Hill got bad reviews, an dbeing as I never played the games, no go.
That's beautiful Moogle.
I'm glad to see that you actually trust critics.

/sarcasm

I'd like you to know that Citizen Kane, Donnie Darko, and Jacob's Ladder all received horrid reviews from critics, (if you look around now, you just find praise, but when those films came out... oh boy, did they bash them good) so since that fat slob Roger Ebert himself dissed Donnie Darko, and then ACTUALLY RECOMMENDED it when the DvD came out, when everybody knew it was a excellent film, I have NEVER, ONCE, in my ENTIRE life, placed ANY resolve in critics whatsoever.
And I suggest you do the same, since you'll probably never see any good films if you don't.

@Flop: ZOFOMG, I LOVED THE THING!

The creepy disgusting part with all the dogs in the cage was messed up yo.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#18 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:24 AM

Yeah, it definitely had the best effects at the time, some of which still hold up today. But what really made it great was the complete paranoia that everyone in the movie succumbs to. Great atmosphere.
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

#19 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:26 AM

My pappy saw it in theaters and he said it was just absolutely crazy, much better than watching it on the small screen.
Kinda wish I could find a place screening it again.  :ok:

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#20 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:07 AM

Moogle, on Apr 24 2006, 10:49 PM, said:

@Tai: Thats not really bizarre....I like asian music n stuff even though I cn't understand a word of it o_0...whats Tampopo about? And isn't the Pillow Book about...erm...yeah, yay for Shogun! :ok:
Tampopo is sort of like this weird montage of strangely intertwined lives, and it focuses on situations that involve food. Every time I watch it, it makes me desperately crave real Japanese ramen (it's nothing like those little packets that boil up in 2 minutes).

The Pillow Book is definitely kind of dark, a lot of asian foreign films are. It's actually a reference to Sei Shonagun's Pillow Book. She was a famous courtesan of Heian period Japan... it's a collection of thoughts, poems, and riddles. The movie doesn't really have anything to do with the actual book, but the main character fancies herself a modern-day Sei Shonagun.

Another really dark one is Raise the Red Lantern.

Oh, but before things get too darkly bizarre, I should mention Shaolin Soccer!!! That's an awesome movie, and I was glad to see it translated and imported to the US.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#21 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:34 AM

Let's see for me gotta go with the LOTR trilogy great all around movie series, star wars original series, another sci fi classic.

Big fan of Pirates of the Carabiean for the way they potrayed it, especially when I heard about Disney doing it. Goldeneye, james bond and just great all around movie I thought especially compared to the later ones like tomorrow never dies and world is not enough. Fan of Shrek thought it was a classic movie, the sequel wasn't as great imo.

Boondock Saints is indeed a wicked movie, classic and thought it was well done all around.

Pretty much all I can think of, maybe tomorrow when Advent Children comes out it'll be added to my list, getting it tomorrow. :ok:

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#22 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:38 AM

Isn't Advent Children alrady out?
My friend had a special edition copy at least...

@Tai: Hmmm...interesting, definitely worth a look into ^^ Never saw Shaolin Soccer though, but Kung Fu Hustle was GREAT, only with subtitles though ^^, never watch stuff dubbed personally, just ruins it. Anyways, tai, do you listen to Jpop at all?

@Piggy: From what I hear its only for fans of the games, which I am not, that is my point. And Pennyarcade also dissed it and said it was bad.

#23 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:07 AM

Do silent films count as well? I used to love those when I was a kid.

1. The Cabinet of Dr Caligari
2. Battleship Potemkin
3. anything by Buster Keaton, but my favourite would be Sherlock Jr for the cool special effects (for 1924, anyway)
4. The Birth of a Nation
5. Gold Rush
6. City Lights (believe it or not, but that's the first film I remember seeing on TV :ok:)
7. Monsieur Verdoux, The Great Dictator, The Circus and all the other Chaplin films (yes, I know some of those aren't really silent films, but their style is closer to silent films than to talkies)
8. The Lodger - Hitchcock really did get a lot better after that, but it's still fairly ridiculous

Plus a bunch of others I can't remember at the moment. Hmm, wait. That's already more than three. Meh! :(

Edited by A. J. Raffles, 25 April 2006 - 09:10 AM.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#24 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:20 AM

DeathDude, on Apr 25 2006, 01:34 AM, said:

Let's see for me gotta go with the LOTR trilogy great all around movie series...
No, not you...

Let's see, favorite films: Bladerunner, American Beauty and Platoon come first into my mind. And of course: Tuntematon Sotilas (original) and Talvisota. What I'd like to see, but haven't so far got to, is Framot första linjen.
...70 years... LOL

#25 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:23 AM

Oooh, forgot about American Beauty. Dang.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#26 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:40 AM

Just had some good movie in my mind, but boring workday happened just then distract me... :ok: Sometimes I wish I had a little more to do...
...70 years... LOL

#27 Aristharus

Aristharus

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:50 AM

Juni Ori, on Apr 25 2006, 09:20 AM, said:

DeathDude, on Apr 25 2006, 01:34 AM, said:

Let's see for me gotta go with the LOTR trilogy great all around movie series...
No, not you...

Let's see, favorite films: Bladerunner, American Beauty and Platoon come first into my mind. And of course: Tuntematon Sotilas (original) and Talvisota. What I'd like to see, but haven't so far got to, is Framot första linjen.
Bladerunner's great. And so is Platoon. Both are amazing movies. I just have to add The Godfather trilogy, and Apocalypse Now to the list (and should add many others, none come to mind right now though)

I don't really like the Tuntematon sotilas movies. The book's great, but the movie adaptations lack something.
This doesn't really have anything to do with anything on your post (apart from being finnish), and we probably should stop discussing finnish movies already, but I'll just say that if you haven't seen "Juoksuhaudantie" yet, I recommend you do that.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?

#28 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:56 PM

I couldn't think of 3 favourite movies, but I'm a big fan of Kubricks work, so certainly Dr.Strangelove, Full Metal Jacket, and Apocalypse Today (cro translation), are amongst my favourites...

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#29 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:05 PM

Okay, here comes few more: Fight Club, American History X, Der Untergang and Das Boot.

Ari, they are my favorite films, so I guess mentioning them doesn't hurt anyone, but true, perhaps we shouldn't start discussing too deeply of Finnish movies. About Juoksuhaudantie, it is good. Some how I just wouldn't compare it to the two others mentioned.
...70 years... LOL

#30 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:19 PM

American History X

Is that the one about the nazi skinhead turning anti racist?

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)