42 replies to this topic

#16 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2953 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:01 PM

In case anyone missed it, the game's available now. Woo!
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#17 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 02:58 PM

View Postgreywolforiginal, on Aug 7 2006, 04:14 PM, said:

I like your in-depth explanation, Aristharus. :)

Potatoe: If you've ever played Dungeon Keeper, like Beef has already stated, it's very similar to that. If you haven't, then it's a game where you command your minions to hollow out tunnels in the side of a mountain, designate rooms for carpentry, tool-making, warrior training, etc..., all in a vain attempt to hold off the ever-increasingly difficult waves of armies of your jealous enemies.
Sounds fun, I've always had a nack(spelling?) for defense games. :)

I'm having trouble playing the game. And I can't access the help screen. OFF TO THE FORUMS!

#18 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:47 PM

Typing ? brings up the manual - it's missing a lot of detail at present though.
Oh, and that's a knack.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

#19 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:03 PM

View PostBeefontheBone, on Aug 8 2006, 03:47 PM, said:

Oh, and that's a knack.
Thanks for the spelling thing. I'm working on international keyboard, so for some odd reason, ?(shift+"+") doesn't work.

#20 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:08 PM

There's a few issues with the keybindings and internationalisation, Toady's looking at it. Question mark on my QERTY keyboard is next to right shift (and needs shift pressing) - it'll show up as > on a number of layouts I believe.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)

#21 Aristharus

Aristharus

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:08 AM

View PostPotatoe, on Aug 8 2006, 07:03 PM, said:

View PostBeefontheBone, on Aug 8 2006, 03:47 PM, said:

Oh, and that's a knack.
Thanks for the spelling thing. I'm working on international keyboard, so for some odd reason, ?(shift+"+") doesn't work.

Try * (That is Shift + ', not on the keypad), It worked for me. That's shift and the one above the right Shift and next to Enter.

EDIT: Oh, and there was another problem: In the Adventure mode the keys for going up or down (< and >) are ; and : on a Finnish keyboard, but I think that's it. If you just remember that ? means * and </> means :/;, you'll be fine.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?

#22 greywolf

greywolf

The Wanderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:11 AM

Does anyone know how to even make items yet? I tried looking it up in the manual, but it had an error and couldn't find the right page. All I really need to know is how to start making beds and chairs and buckets and stuff and I can really get goin.

#23 Aristharus

Aristharus

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:16 AM

Just make a carpenter's workshop, cut down some trees and then order the carpenter to make the beds etc.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?

#24 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:05 AM

You'll only need a couple of buckets initially - there's no need for more than 1 well in the beginning. Remember to build lots of doors, too - I always forget those :)

When you want to make nicer objects to trade, the craftsdwarf's workshop is the way to go (or maybe gem cutting, depending on the stuff you find in the mine).
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)

#25 greywolf

greywolf

The Wanderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 03:33 PM

Ah, but how do I make a carpenters workshop and order all that stuff to be made?

#26 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:31 PM

Ah, you need some loose stone which hasn't been designated for anything else (like roadbuilding, though I doubt you're doing that at this stage). Press b then w (for workshops) then c for the Carpenter's workshop. You'll be asked to choose a building material - pick any sort of stone except obsidian (you should always save any obsidian you find to make weapons with, or high-quality statues etc), like sandstone or schist or talc or something (what's most abundant depends on whereabouts your fortress is located) and your cursor will turn into a blueprint like in any other RTS game. Place it somewhere near the entrance to the fortress (outside is fine - you won't have the real estate to spare indoors at this point) and wait for it to be built.

Once it's running you can assign tasks there by pressing q, moving the cursor near it until it's highlighted and pressing a to choose the task.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)

#27 greywolf

greywolf

The Wanderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:02 PM

Thanks, Beef! You're my dwarves' hero! (since otherwise they'd all be killed and eaten by bears...)

#28 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:43 PM

If you press tab a few times you can alter the minimap and menu positions - the map's pretty useless most of the time, but the menu bar comes in handy when you're not used to the controls. I tend to leave it off most of the time now, though; you can see more map that way.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)

#29 greywolf

greywolf

The Wanderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:51 AM

Yeah, I figured that much out. I still haven't gotten all the keys down like I do with ADoM, though :), so I still have the menu off to the side ready for quick access.

#30 a1s

a1s

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:27 PM

View PostBeefontheBone, on Aug 9 2006, 04:31 PM, said:

your cursor will turn into a blueprint like in any other RTS game.
:)

You seem to be the most knowledgeble in these maters, so I'll ask you:
1)how (where most probably) can I set up a farm plot?
2)how do I assign rooms? in fact, how do I know weather they are actualy rooms and not just enclosed paces with a door and a bed?
Those of you being liberal-art majors � don�t worry, advanced mathematics were largely omitted from this text in concern for your mental health.

QUOTE (Mighty Midget)
if BP has potied on Twilight Zone episode, I will strangle him

secret adept of the PICKALLONWEASEL order

Back to Work in Progress