MdaG's Roguelike

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

Poll: Which setting for a new roguelike game?

Which setting for a new roguelike game?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:43 AM

Or make it so, that characters have tiredness level, that gives eventually severe penalties, which can be reduced by sleeping. No one's forced, but consequenses mean it's not very clever thing to do, unless in desperate moment.

Edit: That was actually meant to be in my planned RL, but I never bothered to even really begin it. Not to mention learning to program... :bleh:
...70 years... LOL

#47 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:31 PM

if you don't mind me sugesting, I think it would be better to only give people a 180 degree lind of sight when waiting, but give them a small bonus to listen/detect danger checks.
allso, if you want to be evil and allow all sorts of sneaking, make charecters sleep for severeal hours each day (that means no line of sight, severe penalties to detecting danger and listening, and very little consumption of energy)
Suggest away, that's what this thread is for :bleh:
Right now I'm having more than a little trouble making LOS work the way it should, but when it does I'll try different approaches.

Or make it so, that characters have tiredness level, that gives eventually severe penalties, which can be reduced by sleeping. No one's forced, but consequenses mean it's not very clever thing to do, unless in desperate moment.
I've already pondered stamina points along with hit points and psi points (for psychic abilities). Haven't put any more thought into it than that. Not yet anyway.

*edit*
I need to do something about the ASCII spacing as well, they're too s parse at the moment. I'm also pondering the effect of using different sized fonts for the characters. Like a Kreecher with font 10, when the character has font 18. Downside with this is that a room full of Kreecher would look sparse in itself since a tile can still only hold one character no matter what its' size. Thoughts?

*edit*
What would you prefer?
1) Tiles in the field of vision are highlighted to emphasize to the player what the character can see
2) Do it the way of ADOM (no highlighting)

*edit*
Added a screenshot on the temporary project page where you can see what I mean by highlighted tiles. I'm using that approach unless it shows that it's more annoying that informative. The field of view is currently a rectagular area. I'm considering changing that into a circular instead. A circle would be more realistic.

*edit*
I'm rewriting the LOS-code in favor of a far more efficient one. My last attempt didn't always catch corners in a room making all tiles in the room highlight except for one or two corners... I'm also implementing a circular FOV.

#48 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:51 PM

Sorry for the double post, but I'm not sure anyone reads my edits...  :(

Some more updates. You'll need to reload the pages to see the updates. I'm no webprogrammer so I don't know how to write a page where reloading isn't necessary to see the updates. Also I'm thinking of moving and rewriting the whole site making it less of a diary and more like the ones already out there, only showing off features and screenshots tailored to spur interest. Instead I'll keep the diary part here. That is, if anyone actually is interested in knowing how the game progress  :ok: Otherwise I'll just shut my trap  :max:

Shortsighted roadmap
* Create objects the character can pick up and use (Weapons, armour, money etc.).
* A.I. needs to get smarter (Identify foe and attack, flee if player is too dangerous, pick up and use objects).
* Create another level generator which creates levels looking like space ship.

Any thoughts?

#49 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:56 PM

Looks really interesting so far.:(

By the way, have you decided for a storyline yet?

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#50 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:44 PM

View PostA. J. Raffles, on Sep 8 2006, 10:56 PM, said:

Looks really interesting so far.:(

By the way, have you decided for a storyline yet?

Well the thought of using a space ship as the first "dungeon" appeals to me and one excuse for that would be to make the character a prisoner on a transport ship. One way or another the ship crash lands (before or after the character escapes his/her cell) and the when the character finally makes it out of the ship the overview map is presented for the first time. I haven't really put that much thought into it yet. I'm sure I can come up with a plot which gives me excuses for trying stuff out. It doesn't have to be that well thought out, none of the established roguelikes have original plots, but they're still fun to play :max:

Feel free to suggest things!  :ok:

#51 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:11 PM

Well, I just thought having a storyline might help to figure out which other features to add etc.:(

So far it sounds like a roguelike version of SpaceQuest to me.:ok:

#52 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:59 AM

View PostA. J. Raffles, on Sep 8 2006, 11:11 PM, said:

Well, I just thought having a storyline might help to figure out which other features to add etc.:(

So far it sounds like a roguelike version of SpaceQuest to me.:ok:
But that's a good thing, right?

#53 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:08 AM

Of course!

#54 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:38 AM

View PostA. J. Raffles, on Sep 9 2006, 09:08 AM, said:

Of course!
I've never played it though.. I've just heard good things about it. I belong to the younger generation of gamers(Windows 95 and 98). All I played is something like Hercules and various other games. Ah, the time when licence games were good.

#55 MasterGrazzt

MasterGrazzt

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 06:17 PM

I'd like to see a superhero based Roguelike, myself. Create a character from a list of origins and themes, like City of Heroes, but with it actually affecting the gameplay more than the mobs you fight in the first half hour. Walk around punching thugs in the face and fighting their bosses, who are supervillains. Eventually join a Justice League-style group.  Oh, and it would be international, so you could travel from city to city, fighting different themed villains in different countries.
user posted image

#56 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 06:38 PM

View PostMasterGrazzt, on Sep 9 2006, 06:17 PM, said:

I'd like to see a superhero based Roguelike, myself. Create a character from a list of origins and themes, like City of Heroes, but with it actually affecting the gameplay more than the mobs you fight in the first half hour. Walk around punching thugs in the face and fighting their bosses, who are supervillains. Eventually join a Justice League-style group.  Oh, and it would be international, so you could travel from city to city, fighting different themed villains in different countries.
That actually sounds cool...

#57 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:12 PM

Any suggestions on an easy and competent way to display inventory and "equip" action? I like the way it's done in "Frozen Depth", maybe I'll use something similar. I've also decided to use the €-symbol instead of the traditional $-symbol to display the game's currency  (GO EUROPE! :(). Another thing I'm going with is the SI-system when describing object attributes. Hence no "stones", "pounds", "fahrenheit", "feet" etc.

#58 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:01 PM

View PostMdaG, on Sep 8 2006, 11:51 PM, said:

* A.I. needs to get smarter (Identify foe and attack, flee if player is too dangerous, pick up and use objects).
Excellent. Some games do have some sort of "escape" choise to creatures, but most only fight to the bitter end. How about trying to put them use their strengths, such as a good ambusher doing hit-and-run-strikes?

View PostMdaG, on Sep 13 2006, 01:12 PM, said:

I've also decided to use the €-symbol instead of the traditional $-symbol to display the game's currency  (GO EUROPE! :( ). Another thing I'm going with is the SI-system when describing object attributes. Hence no "stones", "pounds", "fahrenheit", "feet" etc.
Excellent again. I always get a little confused about thinking stones, pounds, etc. And thinking if this game is dated to future, it's only logical to use SI-system.
...70 years... LOL

#59 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 12:49 PM

I've made the inventory into one large list with topics like "WEAPONS", "ARMOUR", "FOOD" etc.
One moves a "marker" with the arrow keys and selects an object with the return key. Selecting a weapon or armour object will equip it. Selecting food means that the character will consume it. Selecting a gadget object means to use it etc.
I hope this will make it more intuitive. I for one felt that ADOM uses too many "short way"-commands making it harder than necessary to get into the game. Am I wrong?
I'm also contemplating to move the "equipped" part from the main screen to a special "equipped"-screen leaving only stats in the main screen.
Is there any page where I can see what the usual ASCII-representation is for specific objects? Does Nethack, ADOM, Angband etc. use similar ASCII for similar objects ?

#60 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 12:54 PM

yeah they do. (although they are not 100% the same) i like adoms way of doing it the most.

id make tab jump from category to category if your going to do the inv like you said... once the inventory gets really large it could be a big help

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2