50 replies to this topic

#16 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:31 AM

Flop, in a sense you're correct, but usually infantry, motorized and mechanized infantry, paratroopers and marines are clearly separated to their own class. But let's take Legion Etránge (French Foreign Legion) for example, pure infantry, but far more better than average French infantry. Or early days Waffen-SS (okay, not all formations were yet of division size, but anyway), pure motorized infantry, which was later on upgraded to mechanized. And for certain with far better morale and determination than any Wehrmacht unit! Okay, they weren't yet quite professional in the early days, but still better than regulars. Or Siberian ski-infantry? Unstoppable (except for Finns :ok: ) and much faster (except Finns :D ) in snow than any other regular infantry! Well, this is all trifling chatter...

Current situation: I made a mistake in my invasion to Poland, as I kept my forces too large and strong, losing thereby maneuverability, but victory was obvious. I also grasped few provinces before Soviet Union moved in (well, at least comparing to historical facts...)! Now I've massed up my forces North-West Germany, preparing to take over both Denmark and Norway. One interesting thing in Poland was that they had huge, if outdated, army. They had 9 divisions in every border province and except against my panzers they actually did put up a fight! Oil consumption has been acceptable, or even surprisingly small. Oh, btw, of course I accepted only partition of Poland with Soviets. I'm going to support Finland in every way I can... :ok: Even if it costs me victory! :D
...70 years... LOL

#17 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:33 AM

I think I tried a mod once that let you build SS units. I can't remember if it was for HOI or HOI2, though.

In my game I'm in the process of crushing France. I actually managed to break through the maginot line in late 1939, so I haven't touched Belgium or Holland yet. Unfortunately the Vichy event just triggered and France refused to create Vichy! I think the odds of that is about 3%. Now I'm forced to take all of it, including the colonial possessions, before I can annex. :ok:
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

#18 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:39 AM

Well, don't know about the chances, but isn't it quite irrelevant do you have to take over the whole continental France? Didn't most of the colonies quite soon turn to support Allies? To be honest, here's big black hole in my WW2 knowledge, as for some reason French achievements haven't been that interesting to me... :ok:
...70 years... LOL

#19 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 12:24 PM

Well, all the colonies were still controlled by France which continued to fight the war, whereas continental France was split between German jurisdiction and Vichy France. The thing is that in order to annex a nation you have to control all of the provinces of that nation that contain victory points, and France has some in South America, Africa and Asia which I'm not gonna get my hands on for at least a couple of years.

That means that I'm gonna have to occupy all of mainland France, which is an extra load on the transport capacity, as well as use quite a few divisions for partisan control in France. It sucks.

#20 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 12:35 PM

Well yeah, that way it sucks, that's true. But I don't quite understand why it would be so important to annex France? And you can console yourself thinking that Germany in real history had to finally do the very same, as their trust on Vichy France ended.

Anyways, I've encountered interesting bug... My save game doesn't work... :D It loads normally and then ends up with black screen. Argh... Restarting... :ok:
...70 years... LOL

#21 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:20 AM

What really, really sucks is when you type a long reply, then hit add reply and the connection times out. :ok:

Oh well, here I go again: It's can be quite a pain to hold on to territory that doesn't belong to you. Annexing a country instead of just occupying it means that you don't get the extra transport capacity hit from occupied provinces, and when you attack USSR you don't want any unnecessary TC drain, believe me. :ok:

Also, you can only add brigades to units in territory that you own and you can only deploy divisions in territory that you own. Not a big deal, but still.

Most importantly, though, I don't particularly want the southern part of France. Taking it means that I have an increased coast line to guard plus more partisans to put down, and the IC of those provinces isn't that great (considering I only get 15% IC in provinces that aren't my core provinces).

Another thing is that Vichy is neutral, which means that the western part of North Africa will be off limits to the allies for a while. Also, when Vichy is created Syria and Lebanon become indepedent countries (although puppets of Vichy), and there's a chance that Syria later attacks Iraq, which all helps my war efforts. :D

With regards to your savegame problem: I remember that in some of the other paradox games (which use the same engine), I sometimes had similar problems. This would happen when there was no more hard disk space to create savegames, but the game would create them anyway, only they would be empty so they couldn't be used. I've never tried this with HOI2, but ever since it happened to me in EU and EU2 I've been keeping an eye on my HD space when playing a paradox game. Have you tried reverting to an earlier savegame?

#22 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:32 PM

Okay, that explains a lot! :ok:

HD space: 4,15GB... How big the savegame files are? :D I also tend to save over my last save, so no earlier saved game for me. Well, I guess I have to start saving to two or three files... :ok:
...70 years... LOL

#23 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:43 PM

Did you disable the autosave? There are two autosave files, so maybe one of them works? Of course that might take you back a few years anyway, depending on your settings.

Btw, are you using serial or parallel production?

#24 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:54 AM

I turned autosave off. :D I do it almost always just to prevent temptation to redo something I've done wrong, how stupid ever.

Parallel/serial: I use both. In the start (so far begun my games in 1936) I always concentrate for building up industry for couple of years and then I start mass producing troops. Well, I've only played Germany (ok, initial tryout was Finland, but it was just short and getting used to controls), so strategy may change with other nations.

Btw, I begun yesterday playing but had so much other things to do that I dropped it. I played like year or something only. Guess I'll focus playing tomorrow. So better watch out Austria, Czechoslovakia and Poland...
:ok:

Edit: What the *insert bad word here* ??? I begun playing as I have no life. Then all of the sudden my production went seriously down??? I was stunned and couldn't fix situation nicely. I had to choose between to bad choises and I chose to drop my supply production to zero, just to get my production bit over 80 (building factories in 16 provinces, so it's quite important). Then, all of the sudden my production jumped back up (over 100) and so did my supply production! Then it repeated this couple of times, without any obvious reason. And I've done everything just like I did in my last game (well, in the one that's savegame I lost)! Can't understand...

Edited by Juni Ori, 21 February 2006 - 11:38 AM.

...70 years... LOL

#25 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:23 PM

Hmm, it sounds like you've run out of resources. Each IC needs two energy, one metal and half a point of rare resources every day.

Another possibility would be dissent, but the production wouldn't jump up and down like that if that was the problem...

#26 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:28 PM

I got resources. Plenty of them. And dissent wasn't serious, 0.70 at max. Strange thing. I restarted and nothing like that... And now I took care I did everything like I did when it messed up.
...70 years... LOL

#27 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:32 PM

Sounds strange. I've never tried anything like that.

#28 Havell

Havell

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 04:43 PM

I don't know what may have caused the sudden IC drop, but as a side piece of advice, it's usually not worth building factories.  They take 5 IC (and a lot of time) to build and then they produce 1 IC a year.  So it takes around 6 years (buildidng time + payback time) before you see any benefit!  Add to this the oppotunity csot of the factory (things I could have produce in the same time with the same IC and resources) and you'll find the reason why I never build factories.  And I advise no one else does unless you expect to start your military effort at sometime after 1942 (6 years after start).
IPB Image

#29 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:00 PM

I agree, I never build factories either. It might be worth it with the USA, unless you plan to do war early in the game.

#30 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:58 PM

The Soviets might find it handy, providing that they have a war with Germany after 1942. It'll come in handy against the Finns, I suppose, but then again, you could just ignore them.

Reply to this topic