16 replies to this topic

#1 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:17 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review + download

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#2 DannyMc252

DannyMc252

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 09:19 PM

Wow, great game.

I personally live by minigun turrets. They may be a bit weak, but in numbers they fire so fast I can take down most things. Of course the AI also get these, which is a bonus.

Railguns in groups can work too, but they're useless against infantry. Not quick enough to fire.

Pulse Turrets and Missile Launchers are good for when you need to take out large enemies, but still need to be backed up by miniguns. Large amounts of Pulse Turrets can hold off infantry, though, as they fire just quick enough and do splash damage. But its cheaper and easier to go for miniguns.

Machine Guns seem wimpy.. never used them for anything much. The times I do use them I lose. I dont even give the AI these.

The AI's shotgun turret seems a bit slow to fire, suppose against alot of infantry it'd be ok.

Artilliery is too slow to respond for my liking.

The cash challenge is easily defeated with chain gun turrets. Now to do it with fewer..

If you feel overwhelmed, give the AI a turret or 2. This will allow you to hit 2 things at once (Your target and the AI's)
4 Manual turrets aren't always as good as 2 manual and 2 AI..
user posted image
Meep?

#3 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 09:46 PM

I actually prefer AI-controlled miniguns to shotguns, but on the other hand, the shotguns rip apart those rubbish hevicles, and do a good job on tanks, too. And yes, the machine gun thingies are dire.

The rocket launcher will blow anything apart in one shot, which is handy, but you have to concentrate all of your fire on that target, which is a shame.

And railguns are only really for anti-plane work, Danny, although they're handy against ground vehicles too.

#4 tito

tito

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:08 PM

I feel like I'm missing some important information here. I downloaded the exe file ("CrossFireReloaded_v102.exe") but running it does nothing. I've tried runing the exe in a command prompt, as well as through DOSBOX.

Is there some secret to starting this magical game? Is it an expansion pack for another game?

Thank you.

#5 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2953 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:39 PM

That's a Windows executable which installs the game, then there's another Windows executable to run it - at no stage is DOSBox or the Command Prompt required.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#6 tito

tito

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:54 PM

That's a Windows executable which installs the game, then there's another Windows executable to run it - at no stage is DOSBox or the Command Prompt required.

That was my first assumption, but simply running the exec spawns a command prompt that flashes and closes itself. I tried running the exec in my own command prompts to see what the exit message was and it told me:

Program too big to fit in memory

I find that hard to believe since I have gigs of free disk space, and a gigabyte of RAM. Are there any known bugs? Or should I just throw up my hands now in defeat?

Thank you.

#7 DannyMc252

DannyMc252

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:02 PM

Sounds like your memory is filled up. Tried a restart?
user posted image
Meep?

#8 tito

tito

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:25 PM

Sounds like your memory is filled up. Tried a restart?

I really don't think that's the problem. Everything else on my computer is running smoothly. However, I did take your advice and reboot, but to no avail. The program is still not running. I think I'm gonna give up since it sounds like no one else is having these problems. I guess there's just some screwy conflict on my machine.

Thanks for your help BeefontheBone and DannyMc252

#9 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:38 PM

Which version of Windows are you running?

#10 tito

tito

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:40 PM

Which version of Windows are you running?

I'm running windows XP SP2 Home Edition.

#11 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:22 PM

I downloaded and ran it with no problems on a similar system earlier today - have you tried redownloading the file?
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

#12 tito

tito

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:41 PM

I downloaded and ran it with no problems on a similar system earlier today - have you tried redownloading the file?

Re-downloading wasn't the problem, but I did figure out what was. I saw an icon for winzip on the german site that's hosting the file; so on a hunch, I tried using WinRAR to extract the information out of the the exe file. Worked like a charm.

I'm not sure why they would label an archive as an exec; but just to be through, I tried re-naming the file to "CrossFireReloaded_v102.rar" and win rar was able to detect the proper contents. Interestingly, winzip was unable to handle the archive. Go figure.

Thanks for your help guys; I would have given up long ago without it.

#13 Gregory

Gregory

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 06:44 AM

I cannot beat the 16th mission, Crossroads 1/4. If anyone has any advice for this particular mission, send it my way. I've been trying for a long, long time. Thanks!

#14 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:40 PM

It's rock hard. Absolutely rock hard. Try using the rocket launcher and buy some powerups, you might just be able to do it!

#15 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:31 AM

tito, on Mar 19 2006, 10:41 PM, said:

I saw an icon for winzip on the german site that's hosting the file; so on a hunch, I tried using WinRAR to extract the information out of the the exe file. Worked like a charm.

I'm not sure why they would label an archive as an exec; but just to be through, I tried re-naming the file to "CrossFireReloaded_v102.rar" and win rar was able to detect the proper contents. Interestingly, winzip was unable to handle the archive. Go figure.
It's a self-extracting executable - it sounds like you've got an old version of WinZip installed. I've actually found it easier not to bother with WinZip any more and just let WinRar handle zip files.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)

Back to Games on Reloaded

Reply to this topic