• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#31 Maikel

Maikel

You dog!

• Reloaded Crew
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:46 PM

we're not talking about getting drunk, we're talking about sobering up :)

#32 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:58 PM

View PostA. J. Raffles, on Nov 28 2006, 03:02 PM, said:

By the way, sorry if this is a stupid question, but what exactly is so great about getting drunk?:D
An EXCELLENT question.   :P   I have often wondered that myself.   :)
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#33 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:04 PM

View Posttaikara, on Nov 27 2006, 05:46 AM, said:

We even have one of those cutsie rhymes:

Beer before liquor, never been sicker;
Liquor then beer, and everything's clear.

I'm pretty sure I've tested that theory and found it to be quite true...
Different climates, beer strengths and spirit distillation methods might be a factor here.

View PostA. J. Raffles, on Nov 28 2006, 03:02 PM, said:

By the way, sorry if this is a stupid question, but what exactly is so great about getting drunk?:D
It's part of the culture of countries that stretch at least in part above Germany. So whether you're a  :) in past history, or indeed a Brit (which includes that, really) then when the weather turns a bit crap, it's time to crack out the ale (beer / lager of choice) and go and meet in the Beerhalls (pubs) etc.

Or that's how I see it, anyway.

#34 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:14 PM

View PostA. J. Raffles, on Nov 28 2006, 05:02 PM, said:

By the way, sorry if this is a stupid question, but what exactly is so great about getting drunk? :)
Getting all the stress of your mind. Alcohol also removes restraints and makes people more chatty. In a culture, where speaking to strangers is next to sin - such as Finland - only way to make contacts is getting drunk. Also, it helps a lot in reproducing! :D
...70 years... LOL

#35 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:25 PM

Have you tried getting drunk to know how it feels?

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#36 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:33 PM

View PostTulac, on Nov 28 2006, 07:25 PM, said:

Have you tried getting drunk to know how it feels?
No. Apart from the fact that I shouldn't really be drinking for health reasons, it has never seemed very appealing to me, and it still doesn't.:)

Juni said:

Getting all the stress of your mind. Alcohol also removes restraints and makes people more chatty.
Surely you can achieve the same results through a nice cup of tea?

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#37 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:07 PM

Obviously not, and anyway it's not like getting drunk is all negative, yes it has "side effects", and there's a danger of you turning into alcoholic if you can't control yourself (but then again you can turn yourself into a 300kg person by eating too much), but it's not like alcohol is all that bad there are good things to it like entertainment value and false self confidence that a person just need's from time to time, so please stop patronizing people who get drunk, it's not like it consumes our life (well maybe Juni's :)), it's just a way of entertainment.

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#38 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:48 PM

:) Sorry, I didn't mean to sound patronising, I was really just curious.

Just to clear things up a bit, though, "health reasons" doesn't mean that I think having a drink would instantly turn me into an alcoholic, but that I honestly shouldn't be drinking. I've got a medical condition and alcohol wouldn't go at all well with the pills I have to take for it. I'd rather look a bit foolish than risk my health.

Actually tea is relaxing and destressing, and if you don't believe that it can make you sociable you've obviously never been to a proper tea party.:D

#39 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:10 PM

View PostA. J. Raffles, on Nov 28 2006, 10:48 PM, said:

Actually tea is relaxing and destressing, and if you don't believe that it can make you sociable you've obviously never been to a proper tea party.:)
True, but you can't 'drown your sorrows' with tea so easily as with high-percentage spirits. And somethings, things just get a bit much.

Although if you can cope sans alcohol, then all power to you, really.

#40 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:49 AM

View PostA. J. Raffles, on Nov 28 2006, 10:33 PM, said:

:D Never. Some results possibly, if you aren't hardened by cold, dark winters, but never the same! :)
...70 years... LOL

#41 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:08 AM

View PostJuni Ori, on Nov 29 2006, 07:49 AM, said:

View PostA. J. Raffles, on Nov 28 2006, 10:33 PM, said:

:D Never. Some results possibly, if you aren't hardened by cold, dark winters, but never the same! :)
:P fair enough. I've never experienced a Finnish winter, so I wouldn't know.:P

#42 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:48 AM

View PostJuni Ori, on Nov 28 2006, 07:14 PM, said:

View PostA. J. Raffles, on Nov 28 2006, 05:02 PM, said:

By the way, sorry if this is a stupid question, but what exactly is so great about getting drunk? :D
Getting all the stress of your mind. Alcohol also removes restraints and makes people more chatty. In a culture, where speaking to strangers is next to sin - such as Finland - only way to make contacts is getting drunk. Also, it helps a lot in reproducing! :P
"Beer, helping ugly people get laid since 1890." I can't remember where I picked that off from. :)

#43 Aristharus

Aristharus

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:28 AM

It just takes one topic about alcohol to get the lurking Finn back amongst you..

I started drinking alcohol on the day I turned 18, which is VERY late.. I don't really know why, but before that I just didn't want to. I had seen enough of some sad 13-year-old teens begging for strangers to go and buy them some beer, or just acting stupidly in some park after someone did buy them something... or didn't, most of them seem to like pretending they're drunk more than being drunk.

Even though I had never drunk even half a beer before the day I turned 18, I've never really had anything against alcohol. I've had much against some people who use alcohol. After I turned 18 (the legal age to drink in Finland) the thought of drinking didn't seem so bad anymore and I didn't see myself as a stupid preteen who's drinking just because it's illegal. So, being 18 I tried and.. loved it. :)

The point here, I think, was pretty much that you can't really know what it's like before you try. Of course, if AJ can't because of the medication, it's probably better to just keep on wondering if it's fun... I don't really know what that had to do with that point, but I'm just bored. I had to reply something.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?

#44 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:56 AM

View PostAristharus, on Nov 29 2006, 10:28 AM, said:

It just takes one topic about alcohol to get the lurking Finn back amongst you..

I started drinking alcohol on the day I turned 18, which is VERY late.. I don't really know why, but before that I just didn't want to. I had seen enough of some sad 13-year-old teens begging for strangers to go and buy them some beer, or just acting stupidly in some park after someone did buy them something... or didn't, most of them seem to like pretending they're drunk more than being drunk.

Even though I had never drunk even half a beer before the day I turned 18, I've never really had anything against alcohol. I've had much against some people who use alcohol. After I turned 18 (the legal age to drink in Finland) the thought of drinking didn't seem so bad anymore and I didn't see myself as a stupid preteen who's drinking just because it's illegal. So, being 18 I tried and.. loved it. :)

The point here, I think, was pretty much that you can't really know what it's like before you try. Of course, if AJ can't because of the medication, it's probably better to just keep on wondering if it's fun... I don't really know what that had to do with that point, but I'm just bored. I had to reply something.
I'm a finn and I don't drink.. But then again I'm not one of the pathetic 13-year-old teens. I'm only 14 :D

#45 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:58 PM

Well, Potatoe, I began quite early, which means about your age. However regular it became a lot later, and even though I've kept up certain mask, I'm not that bad alcoholic really. Truth is, that I spend a lot of time in bars and get every now and then drunk. If I'd just had to drink, I guess I'd by bottle of Koskenkorva every day and drink it at home. I have too many friends in bars... :)
...70 years... LOL